Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted

Absolutely magnificent now. Light breeze. Blue skies. 35c. Beer. Marvellous. Just a bit fed up its only 2 days. If only it could last the rest July and August i would be over the moon. But it won't.  Back to horrid cool from Wednesday

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.jpeg.7cf731a97abd12e19771c0184b845c85.jpeg

Here’s the UHI of Santon Downham, tucked away in Thetford Forest.

• Like 6

Posted

Temperature slowly coming down here at the moment, currently 32.4c. We tend to be a touch cooler then most places around here so I'm not sure whether or not we will get a so called tropical night locally.

Many many places obviously will, especially those still in the mid 30s even now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Absolutely magnificent now. Light breeze. Blue skies. 35c. Beer. Marvellous. Just a bit fed up its only 2 days. If only it could last the rest July and August i would be over the moon. But it won't.  Back to horrid cool from Wednesday

Spells such as this will never last in this country I'm afraid. It's just too unstable. If anything, we're lucky to have a two day plume, which is very rare. I am a lover of extreme heat and want nothing more than to see 40c broken tomorrow. However, if you gave me a choice between a long extended spell of warm/hot (between 25-35c), dry and stable weather (1976/2018), I'd take that over a fierce plume that breakdowns into snot any day of the week.

Thankfully, it looks like it won't be the last of the weather, and there's a good chance it will reload towards the end of July. Wednesday onwards will come as a shock to the system though. My birthday (21st July) always seems to be just after a hot spell or just before 🤣 despite being slap bang in the middle of Summer and about the very hottest part of the year average wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions
20 minutes ago, Jan said:

I know, just been out and moved it, but the sun travels round the house everyday 🙄

20 mins since I moved my thermometer into the shade its now showing 40.8c i

(it went up 0.1c as I was reading it) 

Posted
2 minutes ago, SunnyPlease said:

Spells such as this will never last in this country I'm afraid. It's just too unstable. If anything, we're lucky to have a two day plume, which is very rare. I am a lover of extreme heat and want nothing more than to see 40c broken tomorrow. However, if you gave me a choice between a long extended spell of warm/hot (between 25-35c), dry and stable weather (1976/2018), I'd take that over a fierce plume that breakdowns into snot any day of the week.

Thankfully, it looks like it won't be the last of the weather, and there's a good chance it will reload towards the end of July. Wednesday onwards will come as a shock to the system though. My birthday (21st July) always seems to be just after a hot spell or just before 🤣 despite being slap bang in the middle of Summer and about the very hottest part of the year average wise.

Hope you are right chap with the possible late July warmth.  I absolutely love this heat. Can't get enough of it. Conversely I absolutely dread and hate the cold. Luckily the cold is usually away until November so still a good 3 and half months to go without freezing temps. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Eskimo said:

Needs to be moved to shade to be honest. It's of little value if it's in the sun. 

Agree but unfortunately there is no where in the shade to put it, so it’s current position was for decoration more than anything. Mind you it’s been interesting seeing it go right round to its max in direct sunlight 😉

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.7cf731a97abd12e19771c0184b845c85.jpeg

Here’s the UHI of Santon Downham, tucked away in Thetford Forest.

The metropolis and airport are cloaked, you eejit! Just because you cannae see them doesn't mean they're not there!😂

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

37.9c in Maison St. Louis, Jersey, making it the hottest day on record with records dating back to 1894

Doubly Notable as over 100F.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

RAF Waddington has just come in with an hourly reading of 35.7C, so it looks like its record of 35.1C from 2019 is well beaten already, and it's forecast to get even hotter tomorrow.  I think GFS is probably still over-egging it with its prediction of 41C.  I reckon it might "only" make 38 or 39C there tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted

33.1 c today on the west coast at 4pm, thankfullly forecast 6 c cooler tomorrow. It was a one day wonder here, produced by the 'perfect storm'. Fine for a rare extreme event, i might start to worry were we to get a week of this in the future.

Posted

Still recording 36C here at 18:20.

It's difficult to know exactly how high tomorrow will go. With this amount of heating, it's not impossible it will top 41c but forecasts temps today were about 0.5c or more 'down' in reality, so, I don't know. I am 100% certain the record will go, it just has to. This is the UK though, so we know they'll be something to scupper the 40c if there can be 🤣. Watch it either be 39.9c, bang on 40c, or just over

Posted
13 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Hope you are right chap with the possible late July warmth.  I absolutely love this heat. Can't get enough of it. Conversely I absolutely dread and hate the cold. Luckily the cold is usually away until November so still a good 3 and half months to go without freezing temps. 

Yes it’s lovely isn’t it. 

Posted

So far the top temperature recorded in France was 42.6c at Biscarrosse in sw France .

Some of the records that went were very noteworthy .

Brest right in the nw of Brittany went from 35.1c to 39.3c .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

BBC was well off with the temperature forecast for my location on the sussex coast. It got to 27c after the cloud, which wasn't forecast, had cleared. BBC forecast 31c. A bog standard summers day!  Maybe we will get to 30c tomorrow. Last time we got 30c was probably the 2019 record breaker day

Edited by tomp456
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'm quite happy with 36c. No complaints here. 

Snap, exactly the same here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Found myself refreshing the obs constantly today, fascinated by what kind of temperatures we were going to get. A very close run thing with the record again. A favourably placed site might sneak it. We will have to see.

Tomorrow though will be mad. Given EC raw temps are showing as 39C in a few spots I think a fair few spots could reach 40C and I wouldn't rule out a 41C, it's very possible.

Usually raw EC data is 1-2C cooler then the observed, the GFS widely warmer though areas favoured by stuff like the foehn effect the GFS is close to the mark, as long as conditions are ideal.

That Jersey record is incredible. 

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

So far the top temperature recorded in France was 42.6c at Biscarrosse in sw France .

Some of the records that went were very noteworthy .

Brest right in the nw of Brittany went from 35.1c to 39.3c .

Got a feeling some more northern parts of E.England will be seeing similar uplifts in their records as well by the time tomorrow is done.

• Like 2