Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
On 10/07/2022 at 16:43, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Given that Netweather has a male membership bias, do we think that there's a macho tendency in the Models thread to describe 40C+ in positive terms?

No, it's just due the fact that the type of person who spends an hour or two on a weather forum is disproportionately attracted to extremes. This is why hurricane threads and the snow chasing become the most popular threads at times.

On the subject of closing places the answer is that we should not. Places in London especially will have recorded 40C in the sun (probably in shade in built up areas) and the world did not stop. Moreover, people are a bit soft these days. I despise heat but I will survive.

Primary school children aside (I'd probably not send them in), life should continue.

• Like 2

Posted
15 hours ago, Empire Of Snow said:

It's just a heatwave, we might have some records broken but nothing extraordinary. It happened before. 

The problem is looking back to the 60s and 70s this was a once in 10 year thing, now its every year, and another 'hottest' record topples. There is no doubt in my mind we will get to 40c and probably beyond it in the UK if current trends continue. The problem is our infrastructure or work practices are not designed around coping with these sort of temperatures. A good example is a simple passive solution, exterior shutters on windows with a southerly aspect, common in France and on the continent, rare here, there are plenty of other differences.

15 hours ago, RJBingham said:

Really needs some regulation around heat and work, if I remember correctly building sites in Melbourne closed down once the temp went over 35c, not sure how other industries dealt with it.

The problem is the current rules are too vague. It needs a hard limit for workplace/school temperature.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I find cold weather much easier to deal with (although I don’t like extreme cold either) as you can just add more layers until you are warm enough.

Speaking of holidays I can’t really understand the obsession of so many people in this country who love to spend 1000’s of pounds to jet off somewhere 1000’s of miles away to spend a week getting sunburnt and melting on a scorching hot beach all week. I much prefer a traditional British seaside holiday, even if it’s cool/wet.

I am the same, and in my case there are definitely disability-related reasons; like a lot of autistic people, I have sensory hypersensitivity, and heat is one of the things I'm most sensitive to. Even "normal" hot baths make me flinch to the point that I need mine closer to lukewarm.

Quite a few of my autistic friends are particularly heat-sensitive too - one literally moved from Kent to Scotland for the weather, something I feel like the Heat Haters Club would understand! - and there was one recent study (which I think I may have been part of actually) asking autistic people about their sensory experiences where over half of respondents reported sensitivity to high temperatures.

Other disabilities have heat intolerance as a factor too, this is just the one I can speak about from personal experience.

(As for holidays, do not get me started on the time I was dragged to Mallorca in 2001. My first and last such holiday! If I'm spending four figures for a summer holiday, I'm going to Shetland for guaranteed anti-summer...)

Edited by ShinyDave
Added bit on holidays seeing as I quoted that bit of the post too
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
4 minutes ago, ShinyDave said:

I am the same, and in my case there are definitely disability-related reasons; like a lot of autistic people, I have sensory hypersensitivity, and heat is one of the things I'm most sensitive to. Even "normal" hot baths make me flinch to the point that I need mine closer to lukewarm.

Quite a few of my autistic friends are particularly heat-sensitive too - one literally moved from Kent to Scotland for the weather, something I feel like the Heat Haters Club would understand! - and there was one recent study (which I think I may have been part of actually) asking autistic people about their sensory experiences where over half of respondents reported sensitivity to high temperatures.

Other disabilities have heat intolerance as a factor too, this is just the one I can speak about from personal experience.

That's interesting - I'm autistic (was professionally diagnosed 20 years ago), and I have all the sensory overload/hypersensitivity issues, and know other autistic people, but haven't heard of it to do with temperatures before! In fact I used to be very cold intolerant, and had to use extra heating in winter. When I started doing weight training and improving my fitness though, the cold intolerance went away. It also improved my warmth tolerance. Gaining some much needed weight also helped as I was horribly underweight (partly due to celiac disease though, not absorbing energy til that was diagnosed) and now I have much more muscle mass which generates warmth.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

That's interesting - I'm autistic (was professionally diagnosed 20 years ago), and I have all the sensory overload/hypersensitivity issues, and know other autistic people, but haven't heard of it to do with temperatures before! In fact I used to be very cold intolerant, and had to use extra heating in winter. When I started doing weight training and improving my fitness though, the cold intolerance went away. It also improved my warmth tolerance. Gaining some much needed weight also helped as I was horribly underweight (partly due to celiac disease though, not absorbing energy til that was diagnosed) and now I have much more muscle mass which generates warmth.

Sensitivity can definitely go the other way too (though in that particular sample it was less prevalent). I've definitely got a couple of cold-sensitive autistic friends to go with my penguin pals!

Sometimes I wonder if I actually like/tolerate the cold or if I just like using heavy clothing/blankets/duvets/my partner (they're also a Penguin Autistic) for pressure stimming 😂 Certainly the cold seems to have more and better ways for me to deal with it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Another one here, TS. I used to throw tantrums whenever the weather wasn't how I wanted it to be; even these days I get twitchy when it doesn't start snowing on time!😁

Sudden unexpected noises, and not necessarily loud, sudden noises do my head in!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
32 minutes ago, ShinyDave said:

If I'm spending four figures for a summer holiday, I'm going to Shetland for guaranteed anti-summer...)

We arrange our holidays to avoid heat, if travelling to France we will opt for the end of September or begining of October, when temperatures are more resonable, and are considering some cold weather destinations.

Whilst not having any major medical issues other than the normal wear and tear of a 65yo I am a fairly big lad, not unfit, I cycle every day, around 10miles, but I do have an insulation layer under my skin which I cant take off. So heat loss is harder. If I get overheated I find I more prone to migraine, which have fortunately been quite rare for me over the past 20 years, as I have learnt to avoid the triggers. Another trigger is disturbed slep patterns, which of course hot weather brings.

And I just do not enjoy the feeling of being too hot. I can cope with cold, I cycle in all weathers bar ice on the ground, and never moan about cold, I wear appropriate (to me) clothes, probably a lot less than a cold hater, and somehow my energy levels seem higher

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I think we should blot out the sun with loads of sheets of silver foil, join them together and launch it towards the sun.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Dami said:

been up most of the night looking after my daughter, all symptoms of heat stroke there, thankfully wasn't sick in the end but had a bad tummy all the same.  Did everything i could to cool her down and even so she felt a bit dizzy and i gave her a note to tell the school how she is in the heat and with instructions that if she feels bad to ask to come home. We are on the cusp of having a sotty letter home if shes off again so it's up to the school to send her home.  Am a little worried tbh. School is now doing a risk assessment, as our letter also high lighted my concerns about next week, but expect 'keeping her home' won't be an option. 

Had a better night last night as we had some cooling rain, so our bedroom with *only* 25c in the end. Hope you all slept better 🙂

That's really scary. I hope she's ok now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
10 minutes ago, mathematician said:

That's really scary. I hope she's ok now!

thank you. I haven't had a phone call so fingers crossed she's not too bad.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’ve always wondered even though our body temp is 37C we function best in temps much lower than that. Does anyone know why that is?

Easy. Heat is exhausting! Our bodies have to work hard to cool down. Giving us a faster heart rate, increased prespiration etc.

when our bodies are working hard to regulare like that they can't perform other high energy needing tasks. It can only do so much. Hence why we slow down and all energy goes into cooling

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Another one here, TS. I used to throw tantrums whenever the weather wasn't how I wanted it to be; even these days I get twitchy when it doesn't start snowing on time!😁

Sudden unexpected noises, and not necessarily loud, sudden noises do my head in!

Nowadays I just throw tantrums when we get a "blunderstorm" instead of a real thunderstorm but I can relate to the hatred of loud noises (except thunder lol), I wear earplugs on an almost constant basis, unless having to talk to someone.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Nowadays I just throw tantrums when we get a "blunderstorm" instead of a real thunderstorm but I can relate to the hatred of loud noises (except thunder lol), I wear earplugs on an almost constant basis, unless having to talk to someone.

Maybe it's our innate fear of thunder that gives it its frisson? Rather embarrassingly, when I stayed in London, I'd jump out of my skin whenever one of my neighbours turned on their light switch -- the walls were extremely thin!😁

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Maybe it's our innate fear of thunder that gives it its frisson? Rather embarrassingly, when I stayed in London, I'd jump out of my skin whenever one of my neighbours turned on their light switch -- the walls were extremely thin!😁

Oh don't get me started on neighbours lol... worst I had was a group of loutish construction workers... never again. 

One of my first memories of weather was a thunderstorm, and I remember being scared of it at the time - was July 5th/6th 1991 based on research. I was only 4! 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Whoever thinks it's just a heatwave is on another planet. Its serious dangerous heat for a country that struggles with anything near 30C let alone approaching.

Ordered foil to cover up the windows upstairs hopefully that will help. Looks like our record of 35.4C will be smashed by quite a margin.

Just also noticed the pollution levels are going up as well which will add to the problems

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Thundershine said:

You lucky you can wear ear plugs I can't as they make my ears sore. Thank you eczema.

Posted
Just now, The PIT said:

You lucky you can wear ear plugs I can't as they make my ears sore. Thank you eczema.

Does this happen with any earplugs? I use silicone ones because other sorts caused irritation.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Does this happen with any earplugs? I use silicone ones because other sorts caused irritation.

Yup sadly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
31 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Whoever thinks it's just a heatwave is on another planet. Its serious dangerous heat for a country that struggles with anything near 30C let alone approaching.

Ordered foil to cover up the windows upstairs hopefully that will help. Looks like our record of 35.4C will be smashed by quite a margin.

Just also noticed the pollution levels are going up as well which will add to the problems

My work are thinking it's going to be nothing or don't know it's coming.

Posted
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I don't like thunder at all (because of the unpredictable noise, the flashing light that comes with it - genuinely disturbing for me at night - and the actual danger that can come with it, although between the hill in one direction and the gigantic metal bridge in the other my house isn't much of a lightning magnet...) but I end up following along with the storm chasers/enthusiasts on here because sound is a lot less scary if I'm already anticipating it.

I'm normally more sensitive to high-pitched noises too so I guess it's specifically that aspect of danger (and the fact they usually follow a hot spell that's already worn down my sensory defenses) that makes me particularly anxious about thunderstorms.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

It might be the heat talking or it might just be genius.......

I've been well gel of my Mrs floating around the garden in her floaty dresses (and nowt else!) over the recent heat.....

So in preparation of the coming heat I've gone full 'Demis Roussos' & bought a white, hooded, kaftan (for garden use) over the expected heat....& I intend it to be the only clothing on my bones!!!!

"Ever & ever & ever & ever you'll beeeee the one......."

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
8 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

It might be the heat talking or it might just be genius.......

I've been well gel of my Mrs floating around the garden in her floaty dresses (and nowt else!) over the recent heat.....

So in preparation of the coming heat I've gone full 'Demis Roussos' & bought a white, hooded, kaftan (for garden use) over the expected heat....& I intend it to be the only clothing on my bones!!!!

"Ever & ever & ever & ever you'll beeeee the one......."

I popped into the local clothes shop for a Kaftan in preparation for the upcoming heatwave but at the till i found i had to sign a waver that upon my purchase i would immediately depart Yorkshire and never return! 😂😂

• Like 1