Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

What's any of that got to do with a likely heat emergency?

A Red warning is a Red warning. The risk of being injured by Eunice was high, advise was to WFM if possible can’t even see that being the case this time around as most peoples works will be cooler than their homes. Plus how are you going to compensate people for a day or two or three lost trading, especially self employed?

Posted

Back in here, as its now past the point I can stand, yesterday wasnt as bad as it could have been, we had some light cloud coverage come over in the afternoon, so temps 'only' peaked at 27c. Unfortunately the temps didnt go down overnight much, was 20c when I got out with dogs at 6.30, so far been a cloud covering this morning, pegging temps back, but the sun is breaking through and there is a very warm breeze, supposedly up to 29/30c today, but weekend looks to be horrendous, I seriously hope that we dont reach high 30s, god forbid 40s.

Currently 25c 

Edited by Blazerblue
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Back in here, as its now past the point I can stand, yesterday wasnt as bad as it could have been, we had some light cloud coverage come over in the afternoon, so temps 'only' peaked at 27c. Unfortunately the temps didnt go down overnight much, was 20c when I got out with dogs at 6.30, so far been a cloud covering this morning, pegging temps back, but the sun is breaking through and there is a very warm breeze, supposedly up to 29/30c today, but weekend looks to be horrendous, I seriously hope that we dont reach high 30s, god forbid 40s.

Currently 25c 

26C now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Do pensioners get an extra payment similar to the winter if it is -20c for a week in a row. I'm guessing that is the criteria with a Tory government.  They should get one for using fans continuously during a heatwave too.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Do pensioners get an extra payment similar to the winter if it is -20c for a week in a row. I'm guessing that is the criteria with a Tory government.  They should get one for using fans continuously during a heatwave too.

Above 40C every day for a month, I'd say? Just so they can let us all know how much they care!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Above 40C every day for a month, I'd say? Just so they can let us all know how much they care!

That sounds about right for the conning conservatives

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I'll say that being a tuesday, I am glad it's cool and wet here today - my particular job this afternoon involves being in an office with several giant printers that belch out heat, a couple of overheating paper shredders that belch out heat, and a few uncouth men who belch out hot winds, and a few women who gas all day belching out hot air, and of course there is no air conditioning, but the open window usually does fine.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Despite the cloud and occasional hazy sun, it's 28.7C in the garden, it would be over 30c no doubt If the sun was out. Despite the cloud keeping temps back a bit, the house is still 26c and it feels a bit muggier today so not very comfortable. Roll on some rain and fresher air lol

Edited by DeepSnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Another heat hater here! Looks like I'll be lucky up here, temps forecast to hit high teens or low twenties Sunday/ Monday. That'll do me! If it gets any hotter I'll be indoors most of the day. All you guys south of the border, take care. Looks like it'll be absolutely brutal. ☹️

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

You know I used to love the heat, the hotter the better!, but now it just leaves me a lethargic, sweaty, mess!

If I had a pool & outdoor shower I don't reckon I'd not gripe as much?

Anyone fancy setting up a 'Crowd Fund' for 'Ian's Pool'?.......thought not!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It is so humid, although there is a slight breeze. My daughter has come home  with mild heat stoke again and feels hot, tried and sick. Very surprised to hear other parents complain about the heat and comparing it to a Holiday, which would be fine because you can go jump in the pool.  

on the subject of water, the water supply to my daughters block is still broken. 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
6 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Totally agree, Lass.

Never mind a Cold Weather Payment, I vote for a Hot Weather Payment.

Might be a more acceptable legacy, once Mr. Johnson finally gets evicted from Downing Street.

We've got two fans on in our Lounge at the moment, and will need two fans on in our Bedroom Tonight.

We've been fortunate during the last few Nights, that the Dew Points have been relatively low around 11c, with the air being so dry.

I see our nearest Recording Station [London City Airport], has a recent Point de Rosee [Dew Point], of 14c.

That's the same as yours, at Northolt Lass. See below:

image.thumb.png.420cb48f16c559471f8cba395bbf8575.png 

I dread to think how high the humidity may get, if we start to pick up more of a S. flow, down here!!

Roll on Autumn.

Regards,

Tom.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Alderc said:

There were no mandatory closures for storm Eunice…think everything’s already been closed enough recently don’t you?

That's because Storm Eunice was a Friday and it was half term week with the schools already shut at least (with most people on Annual Leave anyway).

If this Heat warning had been a week later, at least we could say have breathed a sigh of relief in the sense that it would have been the start of the Summer holidays.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I don't think it will be a sigh of relief. Tuesday could see 40C being reached. This could do a huge failure in modelling like the failed beast from the beast a few years ago.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I don't think it will be a sigh of relief. Tuesday could see 40C being reached. This could do a huge failure in modelling like the failed beast from the beast a few years ago.

I was talking if it had happened a week later with the schools shut but yes 40C should be the trigger for Level 4 surely?

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

I was talking if it had happened a week later with the schools shut but yes 40C should be the trigger for Level 4 surely?

I feel like anything over 35 should tbh. It's very close to body temperature. Anything over that is hotter than our bodies and will prove extremely hard to keep cool

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

How bad are the overnight temperatures going to be? Alot of the focus is on the day record, i'm curious about how the models are handling overnight temps.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

How bad are the overnight temperatures going to be? Alot of the focus is on the day record, i'm curious about how the models are handling overnight temps.

Monday in to Tuesday is suggesting 30C+ at midnight according to some of the graphs and charts in that thread.... 

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I feel like anything over 35 should tbh. It's very close to body temperature. Anything over that is hotter than our bodies and will prove extremely hard to keep cool

Any reasonably healthy person  should be able to thermoregulate to keep core temperature under control, I've been outside all day at 40+ and my temperature was always under 37c. probably not a good idea to go jogging, although I've seen it done, and keep hydrated, I've seen cricket played at the MCG in +40  we're designed to deal with heat, we evolved in Africa after all.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

I'm going to my first and possibly last Royal International Air Tattoo on Sunday. I don't think I will make it through the day in the extreme heat!

Bring back winter temps, I work outside all year and much prefer the cold

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Any reasonably healthy person  should be able to thermoregulate to keep core temperature under control, I've been outside all day at 40+ and my temperature was always under 37c. probably not a good idea to go jogging, although I've seen it done, and keep hydrated, I've seen cricket played at the MCG in +40  we're designed to deal with heat, we evolved in Africa after all.  

Bit of a daft post on this thread don't you think?

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

But we live in the UK, where, even if we take out the fact that so many years being away from Africa is going to have changed our tolerance levels, our infrastructure has no air con, we live in houses designed to retain heat and have no real experience of that sort of heat to know what to do. 

I understand the point you are making - people will get through the day unless they have an underlying health condition - but it's the things around us and that lack of understanding around it that will make this level of heat extremely uncomfortable and potentially dangerous rather than the actual day or so of heat itself. 

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

But we live in the UK, where, even if we take out the fact that so many years being away from Africa is going to have changed our tolerance levels, our infrastructure has no air con, we live in houses designed to retain heat and have no real experience of that sort of heat to know what to do. 

I understand the point you are making - people will get through the day unless they have an underlying health condition - but it's the things around us and that lack of understanding around it that will make this level of heat extremely uncomfortable and potentially dangerous rather than the actual day or so of heat itself. 

Nevertheless, we can all thermoregulate, I'm British born and bred, but was able to cope for 5 years in Spain and 15 years in Melbourne, my physiology didn't change, England's cricketers we able to spend all day in the field at 40+, it might not be comfortable but any healthy person should be OK, common sense needed of course.  and cool showers, nothing better than a cool shower or 2, on a stinking hot day.    

Edited by RJBingham
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Nevertheless, we can all thermoregulate, I'm British born and bred, but was able to cope for 5 years in Spain and 15 years in Melbourne, my physiology didn't change, England's cricketers we able to spend all day in the field at 40+, it might not be comfortable but any healthy person should be OK, common sense needed of course.  and cool showers, nothing better than a cool shower or 2, on a stinking hot day.    

You are totally missing the point. Yes most people will survive, almost everyone will obviously. But it will be a few days of suffering and feeling uncomfortable. What's so nice about it?

Besides you are totally disregarding people who are not healthy, who have health conditions, who live in a small apartment with almost no windows... Some of those people will end up in hospitals or worse. Why are you so blase about them?

Edited by mathematician
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Don't forgot those people who will be working in tin pot factories probably with temps knocking onto 50C and not allowed breaks while the boss will drive off home and find somewhere cool to go.

The only good news are that the pollution levels are going to be low

• Like 3