Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
58 minutes ago, markyo said:

You can't really have a max temp for working in, depends on the Job. Regs to mitigate the heat yes but not a limit.

No reason at all that you can't. Clearly if your working next to furnace you can't apply at 26C max but for offices and other general shop floors you can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
17 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

I still don't understand why more people haven't bought a portable A/C unit to help with sleeping. I know they're not cheap (£250-£300 these days) but we've been seeing evidence of warmer summer events for at least a decade, so if I hadn't been able to afford one then I'd have saved up for one as a priority.

I bought one 6 years ago and regularly use it on warm nights otherwise there's no way I'd be able to sleep in the heat.

Not all of us are the householder so have no say in the matter.  Running costs are a factor.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
54 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

There should be a temperature limit so that everything (bar essential  services, supermarkets etc) has to shut when that temperature is reached-There is surely no way anybody can work in 40C heat indoors or out.

I'll be working in plus 40c temps all this week, with high(forced) humidity. So will the staff at the sites i attend. Its normal practice, we have to so sites can provide treatment to patients.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Given that Netweather has a male membership bias, do we think that there's a macho tendency in the Models thread to describe 40C+ in positive terms?

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, The PIT said:

No reason at all that you can't. Clearly if your working next to furnace you can't apply at 26C max but for offices and other general shop floors you can.

Sorry disagree, offices and shop floors in the sub tropics have no max for a reason, that would impact on business. How can you shut a office down due to exceeding 26c for example? No one is physically exerting themselves, fans can be provided. That is why the UK has never had such a law, its totally unworkable. What do the staff want, get uncomfortably hot or not get paid?

Posted
42 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

I still don't understand why more people haven't bought a portable A/C unit to help with sleeping. I know they're not cheap (£250-£300 these days) but we've been seeing evidence of warmer summer events for at least a decade, so if I hadn't been able to afford one then I'd have saved up for one as a priority.

I bought one 6 years ago and regularly use it on warm nights otherwise there's no way I'd be able to sleep in the heat.

Cost.....So many are on min wage, i am 55, workshop manager, HND and HNC, 30 yrs plus exp and live now on min wage. The UK average wage is utter nonsense, it bears no resemblance to reality.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
1 hour ago, h2005__uk__ said:

I can understand that reasoning entirely.  However, apart from running costs there is also, believe it or not, health reasons why some wouldn’t turn to A/C.  Those of us with Sjogren’s are advised to avoid air conditioning as it worsens the condition, which is uncomfortable enough at times

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, markyo said:

Sorry disagree, offices and shop floors in the sub tropics have no max for a reason, that would impact on business. How can you shut a office down due to exceeding 26c for example? No one is physically exerting themselves, fans can be provided. That is why the UK has never had such a law, its totally unworkable. What do the staff want, get uncomfortably hot or not get paid?

This is where business's will have to improve and provide proper working conditions.

Fans only blow hot air around have you really worked in the such temperatures you would know that. Also you don't need to be physical asserting your self to get ill. Extreme heat is not good for patients or nurses or Doctors or any worker. Just because something is hot doesn't mean it can't be corrected.

When smog killed people we got the clear air act.

If extreme becomes a regular event and there's enough deaths the government will be forced to act.

We may have to decide to disagree on what can and cannot be done.

Right back to models extreme heat shoved back to Sunday and Monday so we may see 40C on any of those days. It's crept a little nearer but still lala land.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, markyo said:

Cost.....So many are on min wage, i am 55, workshop manager, HND and HNC, 30 yrs plus exp and live now on min wage. The UK average wage is utter nonsense, it bears no resemblance to reality.

Yup I'm not the min wage but I don't use my air con unit until last resort.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
31 minutes ago, The PIT said:

This is where business's will have to improve and provide proper working conditions.

Fans only blow hot air around have you really worked in the such temperatures you would know that. Also you don't need to be physical asserting your self to get ill. Extreme heat is not good for patients or nurses or Doctors or any worker. Just because something is hot doesn't mean it can't be corrected.

When smog killed people we got the clear air act.

If extreme becomes a regular event and there's enough deaths the government will be forced to act.

We may have to decide to disagree on what can and cannot be done.

Right back to models extreme heat shoved back to Sunday and Monday so we may see 40C on any of those days. It's crept a little nearer but still lala land.

Stuffy, hot air triggers breathing issues for me. Doesn't take much to set me off in a coughing fit or shortness of breath issues.

1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Given that Netweather has a male membership bias, do we think that there's a macho tendency in the Models thread to describe 40C+ in positive terms?

Nope. Most women will still need a cardigan cos they still claim they are cold….

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Nope. Most women will still need a cardigan cos they still claim they are cold….

I take it you will have yours on standby then...........

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I know somewhere that still runs their a/c in heat mode. I've never seen it in cold mode.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
14 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Most huh? TBH you have no idea what it's like to be a woman of a 'certain' age when you have hot flushes or night sweats. In the summer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Weather26 said:

There should be a temperature limit so that everything (bar essential  services, supermarkets etc) has to shut when that temperature is reached-There is surely no way anybody can work in 40C heat indoors or out.

No! just had 3 lockdowns, don't fancy another closure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

No! just had 3 lockdowns, don't fancy another closure

what did we do when shops closed at 5pm and all day sunday?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

No….it’s the exact same in winter with people wanting -10c and blizzards every day. Even worse actually as there’s loads more people wishing for it. Weather nerds just tend to like extremes that’s all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
3 hours ago, h2005__uk__ said:

I had a fully fitted one in my last house and have just moved- first big change has been having 2 installed this time, I feel the heat easily especially at night so it just makes sense. I use it for 6 months a year and these days are when it comes into it's own. Well worth the money to avoid all this heatwave carp.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

I can understand that reasoning entirely.  However, apart from running costs there is also, believe it or not, health reasons why some wouldn’t turn to A/C.  Those of us with Sjogren’s are advised to avoid air conditioning as it worsens the condition, which is uncomfortable enough at times

I wasn't aware of that. I guess you have to avoid places that have A/C running too? 

In terms of cost, the portable A/C unit I have runs at about 780 watts when at full pelt, so going by the UK average electricity cost of 28p/kWh then it costs about 21.8p/hr to run.

That'd be £1.74 for 8 hours overnight, but they usually have timers so could switch off after 4 or 5 hours and reduce that down to about £1.

I know some people who have gas central heating but also use an electric heater occasionally. They're usually around 2,000 watts so could easily cost over £2 for an evening's usage. (And of course it's easier to warm up than it is to cool down, so you could argue running an additional electric heater is less worthwhile unless you're really in need of it.)

It depends how you want to spend I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

I wasn't aware of that. I guess you have to avoid places that have A/C running too? 

In terms of cost, the portable A/C unit I have runs at about 780 watts when at full pelt, so going by the UK average electricity cost of 28p/kWh then it costs about 21.8p/hr to run.

That'd be £1.74 for 8 hours overnight, but they usually have timers so could switch off after 4 or 5 hours and reduce that down to about £1.

I know some people who have gas central heating but also use an electric heater occasionally. They're usually around 2,000 watts so could easily cost over £2 for an evening's usage. (And of course it's easier to warm up than it is to cool down, so you could argue running an additional electric heater is less worthwhile unless you're really in need of it.)

Those things sound like mini helicopters. You trade not being able to sleep due to heat for not being able to sleep because of noise. By the time you'd get used to the noise, the heat event would likely be over. 

On top of which, using all the electricity - imagining that lots more people had ACs and used them - would only make things worse. 

We need to be cutting energy use, not finding ways to use more.

Edited by legion_quest

Posted
2 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

Those things sound like mini helicopters. You trade not being able to sleep due to heat for not being able to sleep because of noise. By the time you'd get used to the noise, the heat event would likely be over. 

On top of which, using all the electricity - imagining that lots more people had ACs and used them - would only make things worse. 

We need to be cutting energy use, not finding ways to use more.

I don't use as much heating as many people do in the winter as I don't get cold easily. I guess the same applies to others who use A/C in this country. Swings and roundabouts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
22 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Yes, have to avoid A/C if possible.  My neighbours keep their bungalow really cool in heatwaves.  They still have the original warm air duct heating from when they purchased the bungalow way back in the 1970’s.  Not sure what he actually does to the system but he gets it blowing cold air rather than warm air.  As they are elderly I popped around one day in the heat we experienced in summer 2020 to see if they were okay as all the windows and doors were shut.   They were both as cool as cucumbers with cool air blowing around  

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, markyo said:

Oh how true this is!. Minimum wage in this country should be £15 per hour just going on living costs alone.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dami said:

what did we do when shops closed at 5pm and all day sunday?

Stayed at home and chilled out. Made sure you bought what you needed Saturday if doing DIY.

Had to close the windows tonight due to noisy neighbours. Only since covid have they become ignorant and noisy.

45 minutes ago, SunnyPlease said:

Oh how true this is!. Minimum wage in this country should be £15 per hour just going on living costs alone.

But that’s economics, if you pushed it to £15 p/h a Starbucks coffee goes from £3 - £5, a cinema ticket from £15- £20, a bus ticket £1.80 to £2.40 etc. you’d just end up setting off a spiralling inflation cycle and devaluing the £ even further.