Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

I didn't want to cause friction

Can happen a lot in hot weather and chafing

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Can happen a lot in hot weather and chafing

Chafing, Break out the Talc!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

oh well looks like the heat is coming back ⛈️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny spells at 23C here today with just a light breeze. That is hot enough for me thanks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Sunny spells at 23C here today with just a light breeze. That is hot enough for me thanks.

Perfect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

This is the limit for comfort....outlook is not looking good, going to be a tough, hard unpleasant week or two, roll on Autumn please!! Hopefully this will shut some individuals up going on and on how bad they think the UK's weather is not to their liking!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

yep.Outside at present isn't the issue. It's in doors. 

Good old double glazing and a boarded up loft make for a 26c upstairs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
37 minutes ago, Dami said:

yep.Outside at present isn't the issue. It's in doors. 

Good old double glazing and a boarded up loft make for a 26c upstairs.

You could always try bunging some more insulation in, Dami: That which stops heat going up-and-out during winter also reduces down-and-in heat-transfer in the summer?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still a chance of record breaking heat to make an unpleasant trip to our lands. This coupled with NHS being under stress could cause plenty of deaths amongst the vunerable people if it does arrive.

Posted
16 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Still a chance of record breaking heat to make an unpleasant trip to our lands. This coupled with NHS being under stress could cause plenty of deaths amongst the vunerable people if it does arrive.

I think the models have backed away from those ridiculous runs of the last few days, though?!  However, the 38.7C current record could well be challenged still.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Don said:

I think the models have backed away from those ridiculous runs of the last few days, though?!  However, the 38.7C current record could well be challenged still.

Yes but it would only take a small shift north to make the differance.

Looks like we will break records here for the warmest night next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Painful and tiring as it may be, we do need the upcoming weather so we get the juicy storms and tasty stuff to eat later in the year. It also brings people out and makes the sites I cover happier as they make more money!

Also the intense sun will max out the solar and pay for the daytime air con use so there is that to look forward to. Heatwaves technically make me cool! I've ordered more Ibuprofen too, the headaches will probably come back.

Posted

WE can get juicy storms with 18C to 20C just need a thundery low. Nowadays the breakdown tends to be a few spots of rain or drizzle.

Posted

Those outlooks are just too hot. 

I dont have any aircon, either here or at the office (sold off out lovely air conned office during lockdown and the new one doesnt have any!), so I shall just die. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I'm sure "Snowycat's" cat will be fine... cats evolved in warm climates and cope with heat better than humans (particularly ones on here).... so the cats will be fine... more than can be said for her, however. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
7 hours ago, Thundershine said:

I'm sure "Snowycat's" cat will be fine... cats evolved in warm climates and cope with heat better than humans (particularly ones on here).... so the cats will be fine... more than can be said for her, however. 

the key here is we are not accustomed or adapted (yet) in this country to deal with extremely high temperatures.  Yes, eventually we will all evolve but we won’t overnight!!

Just to clarify cats can sometimes start over heating at 100F (37.7c) or wet bulb 95F.  So yes my foster cats housed in the pen in extreme temperatures have to be monitored for over heating.   The same can be said for extremely cold weather as, despite a wall heater, it can be too cold overnight in there for them (i.e. 2010 temperatures).   To prove this I spent time sponging one cat down with cool water August 2020 during a period of extreme heat as she was showing signs of overheating.  Thankfully sponging her down worked as she had 3 small kittens to look after.  

Dog owners will also struggle to walk their pets in such extreme heat as pavements etc can burn paws.  Our local vets often put out warnings about walking dogs during extreme heat.  Horses and possibly other field animals will also struggle in such extreme temperatures.  My old horse hated the heat and I made sure he was bought inside away from the heat and flies.

I see the model thread is going into a frenzy as (thank god) the extreme temperatures, at least for the moment, are being moderated - long may that downward trend continue to more reasonable temperature outcomes for my preference at least.

BTW not sure what the highlighted bit means?  Is this the heat haters club thread or have I stumbled into the wrong thread to pass comment about the possible extreme heat and the problems it may cause me managing my own household?

I fully understand some are wanting extremely hot temperatures.  Each to their own preference of course but not all of us wish to be barbecued alive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

@Snowycat: During spring and autumn, my cat loves nothing better than lying by the window, soaking up the sun. Throughout the summer months, however, he finds places that are dark and/or cool; one of his favourite places is by the front door, where he can benefit from the draught. Cats don't enjoy extreme heat any more than humans do.

Iguanas and geckos might thrive, however?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
Just now, Ed Stone said:

@Snowycat: During spring and autumn, my cat loves nothing better than lying by the window, soaking up the sun. Throughout the summer months, however, he finds places that are dark and/or cool; one of his favourite places is by the front door, where he can benefit from the draught. Cats don't enjoy extreme heat any more than humans do.

Iguanas and geckos might thrive, however?

and flies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It is biological fact that cats on average have considerably better heat tolerance than humans. That a couple don't is anecdotal, because they are individuals.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
10 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

It is biological fact that cats on average have considerably better heat tolerance than humans. That a couple don't is anecdotal, because they are individuals.

It's also a 'biological fact' that each species, be it cat, dog, rabbit or human, is made up of individuals, and evolution works at the level of the individual organism. So, as with all individuals, only two things matter to how well (or not) an individual animal is adapted to its environment: genotype-phenotype and said environment. . . And, FWIW, seeing as my wee moggy is black and white and in no way looks Egyptian, I'm fairly certain he's the latest in a very long line of UK-adapted cats?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It's also a 'biological fact' that each species, be it cat, dog, rabbit or human, is made up of individuals, and evolution works at the level of the individual organism. So, as with all individuals, only two things matter to how well (or not) an individual animal is adapted to its environment: genotype-phenotype and said environment. . . And, FWIW, seeing as my wee moggy is black and white and in no way looks Egyptian, I'm fairly certain he's the latest in a very long line of UK-adapted cats?

I believe I already acknowledged that, and why the need for the quotes? Seems quite snarky.

That some individual lines have worse or better tolerance would be expected, hence why I said "on average" cats have better heat tolerance. Meaning the average cat does, but not all. But on average, cats do have better heat tolerance than humans and the reasons are scientifically understood.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Thundershine said:

I believe I already acknowledged that, and why the need for the quotes? Seems quite snarky.

That some individual lines have worse or better tolerance would be expected, hence why I said "on average" cats have better heat tolerance. Meaning the average cat does, but not all. But on average, cats do have better heat tolerance than humans and the reasons are scientifically understood.

And you'll get no argument from me on that!

Posted

Oh dear seen tonights run