Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I don't think i've had so many fans on and we still haven't reached peak heat this week. In fact i barely remember having to need a fan growing up on the coast. 

It's so hot that my hubby had ordered one of those big dyson fans.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Elec daily use up 300%, limited time outdoors today, day for staying inside with curtains closed. Not a good Saturday at all. Can't think why i hate this weather.....

Posted
11 minutes ago, Coastal Eddy said:

Has anybody got any recommendations for a decent evaporative air cooler ?

Thanks in advance

Don't normally do this, but it seems quite relevant! I was sent this offer yesterday:

Wowcher air cooler offer

Please note though that Netweather will earn a small amount for any purchases through this affiliate link.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

18.3 degrees. Sun is trying to come out. Wonder if we will reach the mythical 20 degrees

Edited by emmett garland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I think this from my friend sums it up.

Polish_20220709_155624727.thumb.png.97036d4643327f7ff8b538a46fff0fd4.png

Just realised there is a positive about me keeping her updated about the model outputs as to what could happen, she now seems to understand the differences in outputs and how hard it is to be a forecaster especially when you're amateur.

Edited by Eagle Eye

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
49 minutes ago, Coastal Eddy said:

Has anybody got any recommendations for a decent evaporative air cooler ?

Thanks in advance

Evaporative coolers won't work well in the UK. They're designed to work well in dry climates. Ours is too humid.

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Everyone ok? Blimey.  It's got to 23c in Wolverhampton.  Get those ice buckets out! 

It's 25c but 28c inside my house. 

Maybe you guys should start a heat lovers thread and leave this one alone?

Edited by Dami
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

I heard a cat melted in wolves.

As @Dami says, start your own “love to sweat like a pig and look like a red turkey c*ck in the heat” thread 

45 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes. It gets to those absurd low 20's and any cat will melt.

And you could start your own thread too and buzz off out of ours, just a polite idea?

39 minutes ago, Dami said:

It's 25c but 28c inside my house. 

Maybe you guys should start a heat lovers thread and leave this one alone?

Absolutely agree.  They can’t wait to troll can they.

Cats not melting yet, not hot enough thankfully.  My cats are tough .  In fact Rupert has slept in his warm duffle bag bed this afternoon.

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
22 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

As @Dami says, start your own “love to sweat like a pig and look like a red turkey c*ck in the heat” thread 

I'm nowhere near to sweating though - it's nowhere near warm enough.  When it is, I'll complain OK? I hate hot weather and sweating. But it's simply not "hot".

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Thundershine said:

I'm nowhere near to sweating though - it's nowhere near warm enough. 

For your thermostat.....everybody's is set differently, hence the title of the thread

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

For your thermostat.....everybody's is set differently, hence the title of the thread

True but I think fitness has a lot to do with it. If one keeps very active they tend to tolerate more warmth and cold, better at dealing with extremes, in general. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

True but I think fitness has a lot to do with it. If one keeps very active they tend to tolerate more warmth and cold, better at dealing with extremes, in general. 

Warmth may be, the fitter you are the more likely you are to cope with heat but cold no, some of the fittest folk i've ever known have very poor cold tolerance. We just feel temps differently that all. Take me for example, i work year round in 30c plus and high humidity, but have built up no tolerance to heat. Cold totally different, my cold tolerance is far higher than normal, hence rarely wear anything else but shorts and t shirts all year round outside.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
On 14/06/2022 at 10:53, Thundershine said:

Has to be the most pointless thread ever, seeing as you're going to get about 12 hours of "heat". 

I thought you felt this thread was pointless anyway.

Unfortunately British men in the heat never ever look like Adonis.  If they did heat would be more bearable now wouldn’t it.

71E3AE17-DA25-4BFA-86AF-3A11D9329C8F.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Better forecast tonight. Hot spell linited to three days here whioch will do me.

• Like 4

Posted
43 minutes ago, markyo said:

Warmth may be, the fitter you are the more likely you are to cope with heat but cold no, some of the fittest folk i've ever known have very poor cold tolerance. We just feel temps differently that all. Take me for example, i work year round in 30c plus and high humidity, but have built up no tolerance to heat. Cold totally different, my cold tolerance is far higher than normal, hence rarely wear anything else but shorts and t shirts all year round outside.

From my own perspective I prefer cold if I'm very active outside. I have good cold and warmth tolerance - before where I live now I lived in an unheated apartment in Buxton - got down to 1°C indoor temps - didn't mind, just ate more. Only trouble was, the pipes froze up.

My cold tolerance improved a lot when I started lifting weights - probably from having a faster metabolism from the muscle. Being muscular and lean seems to give the best of both worlds - fast metabolism so warm in winter, and low body fat percentage, so cool in summer. 

Edited by Thundershine

Posted

I'm hoping this heat we are getting might spark some storms off, my other thread is getting a bit lonely! *blows off the dust*

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Dami said:

I'm hoping this heat we are getting might spark some storms off, my other thread is getting a bit lonely! *blows off the dust*

Dust storms or fire storms more likely. In deep FI GFS brings 42C across the south

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Dust storms or fire storms more likely. In deep FI GFS brings 42C across the south

And if your summary on your page about the u-turn tonight holds, it seems Sheffield won't be joining next weekend's heat madness. (crosses fingers the model's don't change back again.) 

Just now, Weather26 said:

And if your summary on your page about the u-turn tonight holds, it seems Sheffield won't be joining next weekend's heat madness. (crosses fingers the model's don't change back again.) 

Only the GEM supports that solution mind. The other major models support 30-35C (even higher from the GFS 12z op and control, which would be record breaking for our fair city) even in Sheffield by Sunday 17th.

We have several days of anxious model watching (whatever your preferences are!) before we can know for sure how next weekend will pan out

Posted
Just now, Steel City Skies said:

Only the GEM supports that solution mind. The other major models support 30-35C (even higher from the GFS 12z op and control, which would be record breaking for our fair city) even in Sheffield by Sunday 17th.

We have several days of anxious model watching (whatever your preferences are!) before we can know for sure how next weekend will pan out

Even people who love heat will find 40C to much. Biggest problem will be air con units failing regifrigaration alos failing. I know what hot day killed the registration units in loacl tesco super market.

• Like 3

Posted

Which means Sheffield has to hope that the short version of the heatwave being tomorrow-Tuesday holds and that the heat stays further south than the other models are making out.

Edited by Weather26