Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
3 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

Which means Sheffield has to hope that the short version of the heatwave being tomorrow-Tuesday holds and that the heat stays further south than the other models are making out.

Well it's la la land which is the best thing. However it keeps showing up.

Posted
Just now, The PIT said:

Well it's la la land which is the best thing. However it keeps showing up.

I agree about it being la la land-The other models look as through they need switching off & on again since those temperatures for next weekend are surely overblown.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Outside temp only just reached 20C, upstairs temp with window open and curtains closed...

20220709_191542.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather26 said:

I agree about it being la la land-The other models look as through they need switching off & on again since those temperatures for next weekend are surely overblown.

Looking at the GFS it looks about right to me unfortunatley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Watching how it progresses next week on the runs. Really hope it doesn't happen. My elderly father says it's nothing and people will cope, get used to it.... grrrrr.

Posted

ECM going for a short furnace blast

Posted
3 hours ago, Stelmer said:

Evaporative coolers won't work well in the UK. They're designed to work well in dry climates. Ours is too humid.

True, in Melbourne we had a huge built in one in the roof, fantastic on hot dry days, useless on days with high humidity though.

3 hours ago, Stelmer said:

Evaporative coolers won't work well in the UK. They're designed to work well in dry climates. Ours is too humid.

True, in Melbourne we had a huge built in one in the roof, fantastic on hot dry days, useless on days with high humidity though.

Posted

Yuk ECM

image.thumb.png.811586f125366af3b7190379436e57da.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
2 hours ago, Ross90 said:

Outside temp only just reached 20C, upstairs temp with window open and curtains closed...

20220709_191542.jpg

Crikey I thought our 28c was bad enough!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I went through 42°C in Greece a couple years ago and we went for a walk to the local town, I needed to go into the air conditioned shops every 15 minutes just to avoid running out of breath (I find hot weather triggers my asthma but intense exercise doesn't ), my lemon Fanta, one of the most refreshingly cold drinks, warmed up to the unpleasant level of warmness for a drink in 15 minutes, inside. That's why I don't like that kind of temperature, once it crosses 40°C, moving is painful and refreshing yourself becomes meaningless.

• Like 4

Posted
12 hours ago, Ross90 said:

20220709_191542.jpg

That's exactly why I keep saying that temperatures even in the mid 30s here in the UK are much more dangerous that in the rest of Europe.

Our houses are built to trap the heat inside, they are like greenhouses! Instead of having a temperature inside a few degrees LOWER than outside, it gets actually HOTTER.

Very dangerous...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
_119500542_gettyimages-172978352.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

What impact do high temperatures have on our bodies?

Worth a read.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I'm not a fan of heat when at home and having to work, holiday is always different as you get some relief whenever needed thanks to A/C and you're not having to work in it. As a support worker I do anything from 10-26hr shifts and it is getting a bit much now at just 25/26C,

Thankfully South Wales isn't generally predicted to get the temps England are, but still some showing up to 29-32C which is to hot. I've had my curtains closed and cheap A/C unit and fans going through the day to keep the house cooler the last couple days with temps at 25C outside and that's made a big difference when I'm home. 

Fingers crossed the temperatures being shown get downgraded to our usual summer high temps of low 30s. Also home for a thundery breakdown lol

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
15 hours ago, The PIT said:

The Elderly are most at risk plus other people in high risk groups. Considering the state of NHS if it comes off this could be serious. Fingers crossed it doesn't come off.

Absolutely couldn't agree more, it's been very close down here in Kent and I'm currently on steroids for Asthma, add into that Open Heart Surgery last year and I'm going to be extremely careful.  I've just ordered 3 fans coming tonight from Amazon.  I note you say about the NHS, that's spot on too.  There are so many high risk groups that are really going to have to be watchful.  Many elderly folk are utter tinkers and do not take in enough fluid.  I hope I'm wrong but I think if this all comes off (which I think it may well do, hence the 3 fans) I think the NHS is going to see a fair few heat related admissions.

• Like 2

Posted

Well if these 40+'s keep showing up I will definitely be a resident of this thread!! I think about 33+ and I start to flag so i'm still ok at the minute!

• Like 1

Posted

Well it's moved into the weekend so I'll be at home with the air con unit making it's first use of the year.

Posted

This weather i find just makes everything harder, more uncomfortable and draining to do. Bring on that Autumn feel with the cool mists and fresh air!

• Like 6

Posted

Just had a brief skim of the heatwave plan for England. Looks to be totally inadequate. No mention of people with breathing difficulties no mention of covid either. No guidance for employers who don't have air conditioned buildings. NHS staff working with PPE will also be at risk of heat exhaustion as will some patients.

I expect we will see the normal mutterings about max temperature at work which will be forgotten as soon as it turns cooler.

Posted
9 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I expect we will see the normal mutterings about max temperature at work which will be forgotten as soon as it turns cooler.

You can't really have a max temp for working in, depends on the Job. Regs to mitigate the heat yes but not a limit.

Edited by markyo

Posted

Fortunately looks like a couple of days then a brief cool off, then a couple more days and back to something more reasonable...

Edited by ribster

Posted
23 minutes ago, markyo said:

You can't really have a max temp for working in, depends on the Job. Regs to mitigate the heat yes but not a limit.

There should be a temperature limit so that everything (bar essential  services, supermarkets etc) has to shut when that temperature is reached-There is surely no way anybody can work in 40C heat indoors or out.

Edited by Weather26
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I still don't understand why more people haven't bought a portable A/C unit to help with sleeping. I know they're not cheap (£250-£300 these days) but we've been seeing evidence of warmer summer events for at least a decade, so if I hadn't been able to afford one then I'd have saved up for one as a priority.

I bought one 6 years ago and regularly use it on warm nights otherwise there's no way I'd be able to sleep in the heat.

Edited by h2005__uk__
  • Like 3