Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The heat haters club 2022

Dami
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for those who don't enjoy the heat to discuss that and offer support to each other through the summer months. If you don't feel similarly and don't have any empathy for those who do, please don't post in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

An oppressive heatwave has broken temperature records from the Arctic Circle to North Africa.

Thank god we are a Island, a haven from that crap.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

An oppressive heatwave has broken temperature records from the Arctic Circle to North Africa.

Thank god we are a Island, a haven from that crap.

Agreed. I always say that the UK has the best weather in the world when it comes to Summer and my friends who live in Europe never used to believe me.

Now I am pretty sure they have changed their minds.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, mathematician said:

Agreed. I always say that the UK has the best weather in the world when it comes to Summer and my friends who live in Europe never used to believe me.

I would caveat that to say 'parts' of the UK has the best weather in the world when it comes to Summer, particularly Eastern areas. Over here is a completely different kettle of fish. Have barely seen the sun in the last three weeks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

I would caveat that to say 'parts' of the UK has the best weather in the world when it comes to Summer, particularly Eastern areas. Over here is a completely different kettle of fish. Have barely seen the sun in the last three weeks.

I would make it clear that nowhere in the UK has anywhere near the best weather in the world when it comes to summer... 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I would make it clear that nowhere in the UK has anywhere near the best weather in the world when it comes to summer... 

I wonder where the sweet spot is for Summers where you get 3 months of mainly dry weather, with clear skies, low humidity and temperatures of 18C-25C?

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I wonder where the sweet spot is for Summers where you get 3 months of mainly dry weather, with clear skies, low humidity and temperatures of 18C-25C?

Anything below 20 isn't worthy of summer, but low twenties and low humidity with consistent sunshine you're probably looking at higher altitudes at lower latidudes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
3 hours ago, mathematician said:

The average in summer is at least 3 or 4C too low to get us even near to the best summer weather, then there is the lack of sunshine....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
18 hours ago, shuggee said:

For the heat haters on here, consider a move to the Borders - I've had a 20.3C, a 20.6C and a 23.2C this summer so far. That's three days 20C+. 

Sounds ideal along with beautiful surroundings.  I think if I  moved anywhere now it would be to Scotland.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Maybe parts of coastal California or some of the smaller Canary Islands? Of course those climates are like that 11months of the year.

Edited by Alderc

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

Sounds ideal along with beautiful surroundings.  I think if I  moved anywhere now it would be to Scotland.

same here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
9 hours ago, mathematician said:

No it really doesn't, unless you think having eight hours of sun in a full weeks holiday in June counts as the best weather in the world.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 01/07/2022 at 11:56, mountain shadow said:

Generally the west coast of California is best for those kind of conditions.

San Diego is pretty much perfect for those kind of conditions, although they are all year round not just in summer, with the mean high in January being around 18°C and the mean summer high being around 25°C. So San Diego has a year round summer really, despite this it rarely gets extremely hot with the average highest temp in a year only 34°C.

For those that would find San Diego’s climate too hot there is San Francisco where is cooler, Then if you want it cooler still there is Half Moon Bay, and even cooler is Eureka with average highs in July and August of only 17°C, cooler than most parts of the U.K. (although a lot sunnier and drier). It has the coolest summers in the USA due to the cold Pacific Ocean current, and remains the only place in the entire USA to never record a temperature of 90°F (32°C). It is a heat haters dream. Although there is no cold weather either, it is mild year round. It’s also quite a quirky place too.

Note - in the links I provided just scroll down to climate.

640px-Humboldt_Bay_and_Eureka_aerial_vie
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG
640px-San_Francisco_from_the_Marin_Headl
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

On 01/07/2022 at 12:10, MP-R said:

Anything below 20 isn't worthy of summer, but low twenties and low humidity with consistent sunshine you're probably looking at higher altitudes at lower latidudes.

I disagree with that. 16-19°C can feel warm and very pleasant in the sun, especially at this time of year as the sun is so strong. It is currently 16°C and sunny here and I’m sat in the garden in shorts and a t-shirt, and in the sun it still feels pleasant. ☀️

Youve listed my favourite weather conditions in summer above - although high teens and sunny I find very pleasant also.

I would be very happy if it was just 18-20°C and sunny every day for the rest of the summer.

On 01/07/2022 at 13:53, mathematician said:

same here

Darlington is quite cool in summer anyway really.

On 01/07/2022 at 18:15, al78 said:

No it really doesn't, unless you think having eight hours of sun in a full weeks holiday in June counts as the best weather in the world.

The sunshine levels in most of the U.K. isn’t ideal (as this week has shown) but the temperatures are, if we had say 500 hours more sunshine in summer but kept the same temperatures and rainfall amounts the same it would be an awesome climate. The California climates I listed above are my favourite. If I had to choose one to live at I would probably choose half moon bay. The novelty of having 15-20°C and clear skies all year round would be awesome.

Posted

BEWARE heat haters, the jaws theme tune has started for extreme heat threatening to strike around the 15th....   

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Generally the west coast of California is best for those kind of conditions.

San Diego is pretty much perfect for those kind of conditions, although they are all year round not just in summer, with the mean high in January being around 18°C and the mean summer high being around 25°C. So San Diego has a year round summer really, despite this it rarely gets extremely hot with the average highest temp in a year only 34°C.

For those that would find San Diego’s climate too hot there is San Francisco where is cooler, Then if you want it cooler still there is Half Moon Bay, and even cooler is Eureka with average highs in July and August of only 17°C, cooler than most parts of the U.K. (although a lot sunnier and drier). It has the coolest summers in the USA due to the cold Pacific Ocean current, and remains the only place in the entire USA to never record a temperature of 90°F (32°C). It is a heat haters dream. Although there is no cold weather either, it is mild year round. It’s also quite a quirky place too.

Note - in the links I provided just scroll down to climate.

640px-Humboldt_Bay_and_Eureka_aerial_vie
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG
640px-San_Francisco_from_the_Marin_Headl
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

I disagree with that. 16-19°C can feel warm and very pleasant in the sun, especially at this time of year as the sun is so strong. It is currently 16°C and sunny here and I’m sat in the garden in shorts and a t-shirt, and in the sun it still feels pleasant. ☀️

Youve listed my favourite weather conditions in summer above - although high teens and sunny I find very pleasant also.

I would be very happy if it was just 18-20°C and sunny every day for the rest of the summer.

Darlington is quite cool in summer anyway really.

The sunshine levels in most of the U.K. isn’t ideal (as this week has shown) but the temperatures are, if we had say 500 hours more sunshine in summer but kept the same temperatures and rainfall amounts the same it would be an awesome climate. The California climates I listed above are my favourite. If I had to choose one to live at I would probably choose half moon bay. The novelty of having 15-20°C and clear skies all year round would be awesome.

California here I come!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Too hot for batting in my cricket match today for the men's team (under 15's on Tuesday)felt so sweaty under my helmet which was annoying because I batted for over half the match. Faced ahout 70 deliveries for 36 in a 40 over match (in from over 15 till near the end) but could have done so much better on a cooler day.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
On 30/06/2022 at 17:26, shuggee said:

For the heat haters on here, consider a move to the Borders - I've had a 20.3C, a 20.6C and a 23.2C this summer so far. That's three days 20C+. 

Only two days of 20C + here so far, the lowest I can ever remember at this stage of the summer. I don't think the average temp has been that low as night temps have consistently been around 12-14C but the max temps have been very low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
47 minutes ago, Don said:

BEWARE heat haters, the jaws theme tune has started for extreme heat threatening to strike around the 15th....   

Yes, we are on the countdown I’m  starting to prepare the hibernation bunker   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 01/07/2022 at 08:45, mathematician said:

I think the continent has a better climate overall. Better summers and colder winters.

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

It's not a done deal yet by any means. 10 days is a long way when it comes to weather. Let's see...

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The Northerner in you is showing. 16-19 feels warm in early to mid spring, then feels normal in late spring, then feels cool come summer down here. That said… it’s very rare to get lengthy sun and temperatures that low down here in summer unless there’s a howling wind in which case, no, it definitely isn’t feeling warm.

My temperature maximum benchmarks are generally:

Winter should be 0-10 degrees.

Spring should be 10-20 degrees.

Summer should be 20-30 degrees.

Autumn should be 10-20 degrees.

Anything lower in winter is a bonus and anything higher in summer is a bonus. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, mathematician said:

It's not a done deal yet by any means. 10 days is a long way when it comes to weather. Let's see...

It's coming! 

Posted
3 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Yes, we are on the countdown I’m  starting to prepare the hibernation bunker   

Yes, mine is now prepared! 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Alderc said:

587E6000-6DEF-4B9F-9D5B-FE3BE6D36432.thumb.jpeg.0a2ecfdf997cba9a436a119ae9a64b0b.jpeg

I’ll just leave this here. The GFS Ops run would hit 100f consecutive days. 

Taking into account the GFS underdoing temps by 2C, even my location would hit 38C!  Truly horrifying!!

• Like 2