Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
23 hours ago, markyo said:

Fantastic Autumns morning, just above freezing, beautiful sunrise....near enough perfect.

Let's hope for a very cold winter! 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

protracted summer just keeps going here with endless sunny days  ...back up to 23c tomorrow after a couple of autumn days of 14-15c forecast now is for 25/26c at the weekend ..which is almost unheard of this late in the year.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 hours ago, simshady said:

Let's hope for a very cold winter! 🙂

Are you eon's CEO?😁

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

protracted summer just keeps going here with endless sunny days  ...back up to 23c tomorrow after a couple of autumn days of 14-15c forecast now is for 25/26c at the weekend ..which is almost unheard of this late in the year.

Summer just does not want to let go does it?!

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Summer just does not want to let go does it?!

its brilliant as it is eating into those cold desolate months..this could shorten winter by 4-6 weeks 😍 ..no doubt i will end up paying with a horribly cold March and April next year though 🤢

• Thanks 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

its brilliant as it is eating into those cold desolate months..this could shorten winter by 4-6 weeks 😍 ..no doubt i will end up paying with a horribly cold March and April next year though 🤢

Who knows these days??!!

Posted
On 11/10/2022 at 10:26, MP-R said:

Exactly… and for essentially the same reasons. November is probably the most monotone month for temperatures in the whole year unless you get a freak cold spell like 2010. March on the other hand… just compare 2012 with 2013.

November often produces very small diurnal ranges, 6 to 11 degree mark, most limited of all months I'd say. Generally the most uninspiring of months, but December can be truly depressing when dull and mild. Oh joy we have that to look forward to!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

October 20th 2010 delivered 20 degrees in Calgary, I was there.. 2010.. mentioned again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Looks like some areas southwards of Birmingham are starting to be in need of meaningful rainfall again. Whilst the next few days are looking mixed, at this stage is isn't looking to be too unsettled for those areas. Just a couple of days ago, this Saturday was going to be wet and breezy for my neck of the woods. But now, we are forecast to have just a bit of rain and otherwise relatively calm. No doubt we will get a short but very unsettled spell later this month though.

The weather theme we have been seeing throughout 2022 continues and has now become very predictable.

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

October 20th 2010 delivered 20 degrees in Calgary, I was there.. 2010.. mentioned again!

now forecasting 28c for Monday 17th October .. 20c in mid/late October esp in Calgary not that unusual ..sometimes can sneek a few 20c as late as mid November there

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

now forecasting 28c for Monday 17th October .. 20c in mid/late October esp in Calgary not that unusual ..sometimes can sneek a few 20c as late as mid November there

Surprising it's possible for it to get that high with the low sun angle- Calgary is on the same latitude as London. Some huge diurnal ranges as well for mid October. That said some sites are showing a few degrees lower than 28C there for Monday.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Fog gives way to sunshine

Great video- a really beautiful day once the fog cleared. Felt fairly warm in the sunshine as well this afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Not interested in any more warmth. 

It was nice during spring and summer, but that was then and everything has a time and a place. We are in the middle of autumn now, so I want some autumnal storms mixed with some chilly sunny days.

Warmth in mid October just feels very much out of place, much like with cold wintry spells in mid April.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Surprising it's possible for it to get that high with the low sun angle- Calgary is on the same latitude as London. Some huge diurnal ranges as well for mid October. That said some sites are showing a few degrees lower than 28C there for Monday.

Probably a lot to do with the airmasses and lag effect in the northern hemisphere. Early to mid Autumn takes a while for it to cool down properly from the summer. Just like in early to mid spring despite the strengthening sun we can get snow and it often takes a while to warm up. Like the saying goes "as the days get longer the cold gets stronger", especially true after the winter solstice. January and February are usually the coldest months despite the sun gaining strength. It's like June is rarely the hottest time of year despite peak UV. Often it's about mid July to mid August. All to do with the lag effect again.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Probably a lot to do with the airmasses and lag effect in the northern hemisphere. Early to mid Autumn takes a while for it to cool down properly from the summer. Just like in early to mid spring despite the strengthening sun we can get snow and it often takes a while to warm up. Like the saying goes "as the days get longer the cold gets stronger", especially true after the winter solstice. January and February are usually the coldest months despite the sun gaining strength. It's like June is rarely the hottest time of year despite peak UV. Often it's about mid July to mid August. All to do with the lag effect again.

Yes I take the point about the lag- however there is still a limit to how high temps can go with such weak sun. 27/28C must be the absolute max of what is possible at 51 degrees north in mid October even in an ideal setup.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Warmth in mid October just feels very much out of place, much like with cold wintry spells in mid April.

I quite like October warmth as unlike sometimes during summer, it feels very pleasant in the weakening sun!

• Like 6

Posted
23 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Edmonton is the same latitude as Manchester

• Like 2

Posted
18 hours ago, Don said:

I quite like October warmth as unlike sometimes during summer, it feels very pleasant in the weakening sun!

Maybe, but I think it would be nice if for once we had an October that actually feels like... October. It would also be great to have a month with a CET at or below average, rather than above which is far more common nowadays.

Still, at least warm spells at this time of the year don't usually last long I suppose. 👍

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Maybe, but I think it would be nice if for once we had an October that actually feels like... October. It would also be great to have a month with a CET at or below average, rather than above which is far more common nowadays.

I would rather have a month with a below average CET for winter rather than October.

• Like 1

Posted

Sensing next week will bring the final flush out of warmth for the year, not unusual for October to produce a last warm hurray, by November even with temps well in the teens you can never describe it as warm.

• Like 2

Posted

Met Office bullish with there forecast for a dry start to November, cold nights and average days suggests they see high pressure either to the west or northwest centred close to the UK or just to the north.. I say close, otherwise would mention eastern and northern areas showery and colder. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Still, at least warm spells at this time of the year don't usually last long I suppose. 👍

There will be plenty of time for below average temperatures, it will happen. Amazing that in just a few short days this week has seen dramatic changes in model output , from a battle zone of cold and mild near to the UK, with rather a bland outlook in the days ahead. Although I'm sure things will change fairly quickly.....😳

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, ANYWEATHER said:

There will be plenty of time for below average temperatures, it will happen. Amazing that in just a few short days this week has seen dramatic changes in model output , from a battle zone of cold and mild near to the UK, with rather a bland outlook in the days ahead. Although I'm sure things will change fairly quickly.....😳

2022 the year that cold is not allowed into the UK!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Maybe, yes; maybe, no? But you still haven't produced anything that might back up your claim that the 1930s saw temps in excess of 40C, here in the UK... And, until you do, I'll view your posts with utmost suspicion!🤔

• Like 1