Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

image.thumb.png.9566268af5d301a67f7577bdd7e5f503.png

It's that time of year again when we can start looking forward to the calm mellows and yellows of Autumn. One of my favourite times of year and the very beginning of the descent into the Winter months.

For those of you not quite into the current Summer set-up, maybe this can be the place you dream of when it's all over and can settle into being just a tad more comfortable.

I'll let ol' Willy Shakespeare give it his eye:

"That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang …"

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I'm hoping for a seasonal autumn, with warm/sunny periods in September and a thunderstorm or two (never seem to happen here whatever time of year!), a seasonal October alternating between mild and cooler wet windy periods, then a seasonal November but with a bit more sun than average so it isn't too gloomy. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

I would prefer Autumnal weather, with Autumn like conditions. Not similar too Winter or Summer. Conditions that are more akin to October than June. Temperatures around 18CC with High pressure, interspersed with low pressure. Showery days and a few dry days. 

Autumn colours and misty mornings like the ones you can get in Autumn.

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

YAY!! My favourite thread!! The autumn thread is open for another year!!

Oh, I'll have a nice large helping of autumn this year if I may please,  (especially after this miserable summer!) with lots of mist and fog, and a fair few of those gentle autumn days that have a smokey appearance to the air but with temperatures not exceeding 16° Celsius . A Halloween fog like win 2015 would be most welcome, or a foggy spell like we had in November last year. 
Then for desserts can I have a few proper autumn storms with lashings of rain and strong, gale force winds, (like the storm that we had on the 27th October 2002). 

I know that summer has gotten one or three nasty tricks still up its sleeve, but the nights are getting longer again, and for those fellow shift workers/Disciples of Dracula the darkness is now coming along at a fair ole pace in the morning, and the evening are starting to get a little darker around the 22:00 mark as well!   I'm so looking forward to waking up one morning to find that we've got a proper autumnal 'nip in the air'. 

Ohhhh I'm getting all misty and dewy eyed thinking about it. 

The summer sun is fading as the year grows old  And darker days are drawing near... 

36CC6C01-5BEF-44F1-97A3-66952B54D3F7.jpeg

4118C528-E8D7-43ED-8D16-B02D4B28F937.jpeg

3922E6B8-815F-4CCA-9062-15FAAAD1847D.jpeg

CFCC4531-1DDD-428A-9A5D-A532A5E7D0EA.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Loooong way to go yet before autumn enters the mind.... but I also hope for a seasonal one with plenty of autumn colour. This might be more likely if the rest of the summer can continue the sunnier trend.

Ironically, the foggiest morning last autumn here was on the morning of a hot sunny afternoon on September 06th!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Just spotted my first Lord’s ‘n Ladies of the season. ??

Just poking it head up through the remains of the wild garlic. 

Always a good harbinger of autumn are the Lord’s ‘n Ladies. ??

A1EBA39A-BB49-445D-9DBB-79F13D0985E6.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

A cool and wet September, followed by a warm/dry October and then a seasonal November would do me!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
5 hours ago, Don said:

A cool and wet September, followed by a warm/dry October and then a seasonal November would do me!

Pretty much autumn 2017 summed up there!

While I'm still enjoying the long light hours of summer, I am now yearning for the first chill of the season, what with all the heat in the forecast. The past 6 years have been quite good for autumn weather in my opinion. Every year has had spells of chilly, seasonable weather. I think last year was the only exception. Apart from a few days in October and some late cold in November, it was far too mild to feel typically autumnal if that makes sense. Autumn 2019 was nice, the closest we've come to a properly chilly autumn. 2016 was perhaps the perfect autumn with its lack of storms and gradual cooldown. 2017 was rather out of sync, but I enjoyed th autumnal August/September combo and the chilly November. 2018 had plently of cool weather throughout September and October. 2020 had a very autumnal October off the end of a cold end to September. Even the mild November wasn't too bad as it often felt quite foggy and calm and spooky at times. We'll see what autumn 2022 brings...

• Like 5

Afternoon peeps,

Hope all of you are well and keeping cool. Looks as if we have some intense heat coming  early next week. While everyone’s focus is on how hot it will get, I am just wondering if anyone has any early indications of what September May hold. Being a cold lover I am just a bit concerned as to whether September will bring a dramatic cool down or not as there is speculation regarding September temperatures and how this May effect the coming winter.

Regards 😊

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Really hope we can have a seasonal autumn this Yr. Last autumn was pants. Didnt feel seasonal for most of it. Just felt like a write off, had the feeling it would be a write with how warm September was. Winter was a write off aswell. Was a very poor autumn/ winter season.  Hopefully better this year.  But will it be???

Edited by sundog
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Christ - not even halfway through summer yet! I’ll start looking forward to autumn once we get through the middle of September. This first half of it is more like an extension of summer these days, seems to always have a warm or hot spell thrown in the mix!

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Christ - not even halfway through summer yet! I’ll start looking forward to autumn once we get through the middle of September. This first half of it is more like an extension of summer these days, seems to always have a warm or hot spell thrown in the mix!

I know and really hope that won't be the case this year!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Still got a long way to go yet and I am currently enjoying this summer, but it's never too early to discuss the next season. 🙂

Anyway, here are my predictions for this year's season of mellow fruitfulness:

September
The first week or so will be an extension of summer with warm sunny days or even hot at times in some places. This will be followed by a warm but unsettled spell lasting up to around mid month - feeling quite humid at times too which will result in a few rumbles here and there. The second half of the month will be more changeable with temps close to average for the time of year. High pressure during the final week results in some mild sunny days and cool nights.

October
The settled anticyclonic spell at the end of September continues into the first few days of October. As the anticyclone changes position it brings up warm air resulting in a short but sweet Indian summer leading to plenty of sunshine and temps widely in the early to mid 20s. This will seem like a distant memory however, as around the 10th an unsettled spell of weather transpires bringing average temperatures and our first named storm of the season. The second half of the month will be quieter with temps at or close to the seasonal average.

November

Quiet to start off with, but becomes very unsettled from around Bonfire Night lasting to around mid month including our second named storm and widespread flooding. After this, high pressure quietens the weather down and dominates until the final week of the month. From around the 24th onwards, we get our first taste of winter as a cold snap arrives resulting in many places receiving a snowfall or two.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted

Autumn's all around us already if you know where to look. Elderflower has turned to Elderberry, bramble bushes are in flower with Blackberry buds, my apple trees are sagging under the weight of this year's crop and Lords n' Ladies are popping up in the shaded areas of the garden. 

Conkers, hazel nuts and sweet chestnuts are swelling, and the wheat fields that surround our barn are as golden as they can be - just waiting for the Combine to do its work now, which is only days away - one of my favourite sights of the season. Rowan berries, sloes, hawthorns are all on the cusp of turning from green into glorious Autumn ripeness. 

In about six weeks time, the TV weather forecasters will be talking about "air frosts in the isolated Glens of Scotland"........can't wait.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Is there a next Spring thread yet? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Cold, frosty, foggy autumn please 🙂

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

No, I’m not even thinking about autumn right now. 

I’m enjoying summer 2022😊

It's been quite a nice summer so far I think. A few disappointingly cloudy days here and there, but plenty of sunny ones also. 

This summer is shaping up to be reminiscent of 2013, but with the dryness of 2018.

• Like 1

Posted

Just ordered a £90 log delivery for the Autumn. a pile of kindling sticks will also be getting chopped this week. I need to stock up as there won't be much heating going on this year with the price of oil as it is. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Someone mentioned in one of the busy threads today about dryness and there being an early fall of leaves. If a dry theme does continue through the summer then I can imagine we will have a spectacular show of colour this year. I’m too young to remember, but the autumn of 2003 (from pictures I can tell) had a spectacular show of colours. This was down to a dry autumn with mild days and cold nights. More vividly in my mind is 2016 which also had a very dry July to end of year period and that also had spectacular colours. It’ll be interesting to see, though a change to a wet pattern in August onward could scupper it. After last year’s very dreary autumn with perhaps the worst conditions possible for good colour, it would be nice to see the vivid oranges and reds again. Last year it was just mild shades of green and brown.