Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
On 03/08/2022 at 16:57, B87 said:

bRXdVuD.png

All 3 autumn months were warmer and drier than average in 2011. A sunny September and October with a dull November.

The year where April, September and October had a higher max than July. A pretty mundane year from what I can remember 

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Used to attend the Rewind 80’s Festival near Henley on Thames, it was and is still held during the 3rd weekend in August. Nights were always chilly 🥶 Even if the days were hot (didn’t happen often).

Looking forward to Strictly! I like autumn and early winter, up to New Year. We definitely need a wetter season in the southern half of the UK. Hopefully some nice autumn sunshine too with lots of mists, fogs, and eventually frosts, overnight. 

Love Rewind and  Let's Rock. Despite the impending mortgage...might go on the Saturday this year as my partner still has a massive crush on Belinda Carlisle who is playing!!

The heatwave of July 18/19th basically made lots of things ripen, go to seed or abort. I had 6 pumpkins originally but the plants aborted the smallest fruits (which were roughly the size of largest oranges) despite me watering them at 11pm each night of the heatwave because it wasn't used to the heat, so now I have only 3.  It pushed the fast forward button on the rest of the pumpkins, which have stopped their rapid growth phase and started to ripen.  Squash need lots of sun but also moisture, the latter lacking.  I wonder how commercial pumpkin crops are faring?  Fewer, smaller pumpkins this autumn possibly?

I am looking forward to my first autumn in a house. Little things like being able to put a pumpkin on the doorstep on Halloween, sitting in the garden after dark or rake the leaves in the garden. Not looking forward to the heating bills, though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Does anybody have any monthly IOD composites or the monthly data.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
17 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

Love Rewind and  Let's Rock. Despite the impending mortgage...might go on the Saturday this year as my partner still has a massive crush on Belinda Carlisle who is playing!!

The heatwave of July 18/19th basically made lots of things ripen, go to seed or abort. I had 6 pumpkins originally but the plants aborted the smallest fruits (which were roughly the size of largest oranges) despite me watering them at 11pm each night of the heatwave because it wasn't used to the heat, so now I have only 3.  It pushed the fast forward button on the rest of the pumpkins, which have stopped their rapid growth phase and started to ripen.  Squash need lots of sun but also moisture, the latter lacking.  I wonder how commercial pumpkin crops are faring?  Fewer, smaller pumpkins this autumn possibly?

I am looking forward to my first autumn in a house. Little things like being able to put a pumpkin on the doorstep on Halloween, sitting in the garden after dark or rake the leaves in the garden. Not looking forward to the heating bills, though.

Aw, Belinda Carlisle is still rocking it, saw her a few times at Rewind and she also did a few nights at the smaller venue in the O2 before covid. Was a rather drunken evening 😬 Enjoy Rewind if you go 👍🏻 And all the best with the move! Your own garden will be great. We’re doing the same, leaving the city and moving to a new bungalow in the country, will have a garden at last, my own allotment 😊

Feeling quite autumnal this morning after overnight thunderstorms.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Aw, Belinda Carlisle is still rocking it, saw her a few times at Rewind and she also did a few nights at the smaller venue in the O2 before covid. Was a rather drunken evening 😬 Enjoy Rewind if you go 👍🏻 And all the best with the move! Your own garden will be great. We’re doing the same, leaving the city and moving to a new bungalow in the country, will have a garden at last, my own allotment 😊

Feeling quite autumnal this morning after overnight thunderstorms.

Oh how lovely!😊 Good luck with the move and keep us updated on your gardening plans! 🌱🌼

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

Oh how lovely!😊 Good luck with the move and keep us updated on your gardening plans! 🌱🌼

Thank you, and you too, please 😊

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I noticed very early this morning the first morning of the season that felt genuinely chilly under the clear skies - made me feel very glad that autumn is soon upon us 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

I noticed very early this morning the first morning of the season that felt genuinely chilly under the clear skies - made me feel very glad that autumn is soon upon us 

But it’s also a reminder that the main part of the day will be still warm or hot, but the clear cool morning in September usually leads to a colder day. 

It still feels like high summer to me, but once we hit the 15th or 20th, the late summer feel will take over 

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

Same here, out on the bike with the hound at 05:45. Noticeably cooler in the mornings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
3 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Same here, out on the bike with the hound at 05:45. Noticeably cooler in the mornings

Will be interesting to see whether we get another above 11.0'C CET this Autumn 

Likely IMO. Only been 29 or so 11.0+ CET Autumns on record, a large portion which have happened in the last 50 years or so

On the other hand could I be totally wrong and we record only our second single-figure CET of this century. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
7 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Will be interesting to see whether we get another above 11.0'C CET this Autumn 

Likely IMO. Only been 29 or so 11.0+ CET Autumns on record, a large portion which have happened in the last 50 years or so

On the other hand could I be totally wrong and we record only our second single-figure CET of this century. 

FYI those two Autumns were 2010 and 2012. 

Can't remember them off the top of my head in huge detail but I think they both just had a decent mix of everything - a bit of after-Summer sun, gales at times, rain, early snowfall etc. 

Exactly what I wish every Autumn was like..!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
On 08/08/2022 at 12:49, StretfordEnd1996 said:

FYI those two Autumns were 2010 and 2012. 

Can't remember them off the top of my head in huge detail but I think they both just had a decent mix of everything - a bit of after-Summer sun, gales at times, rain, early snowfall etc. 

Exactly what I wish every Autumn was like..!

Oh good, and we all know what happened in December 2010 😉

Posted
3 hours ago, Speedbird said:

Oh good, and we all know what happened in December 2010 😉

Ha yes well - 

On deeper thoughts I wouldn't be somewhat surprised if we don't see another sub 10.0'C CET Autumn in my life time but hey who knows.

Posted
4 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Ha yes well - 

On deeper thoughts I wouldn't be somewhat surprised if we don't see another sub 10.0'C CET Autumn in my life time but hey who knows.

We all thought a sub freezing month wouldn't happen again after a long period dance Feb 86 without..  and one popped up in Dec 2010! I suspect we may well see odd months and seasons of notable cold still.. against a generally much warmer trend. March 13, April 21 proved so, as well as the significant but shortlived cold late Feb 18. Admittedly, all caused by Strat warming. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

We all thought a sub freezing month wouldn't happen again after a long period dance Feb 86 without..  and one popped up in Dec 2010! I suspect we may well see odd months and seasons of notable cold still.. against a generally much warmer trend. 

Yes fully agree, perhaps I was a bit OTT there 😄

I'd just love an Autumn that has a large degree of changeability and a bit of everything, I feel recent ones have just been a bit monotone. Dull and boring 😮 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

We all thought a sub freezing month wouldn't happen again after a long period dance Feb 86 without..  and one popped up in Dec 2010! I suspect we may well see odd months and seasons of notable cold still.. against a generally much warmer trend. March 13, April 21 proved so, as well as the significant but shortlived cold late Feb 18. Admittedly, all caused by Strat warming. 

Yes, it does seem pretty difficult to get prolonged cold without a strat warming these days!  When was the last time that happened, 2010?

Posted
34 minutes ago, Don said:

Yes, it does seem pretty difficult to get prolonged cold without a strat warming these days!  When was the last time that happened, 2010?

Autumns don't benefit from strat warming and is probably the season when most difficult to achieve cold throughout nowadays, especially on the back of warming summer. Spring has been our most erratic season in recent years, sometimes notably warm sometimes cold.. winter seems to depend increasingly on the behaviour of the strat, which again only tends to increase chance of cold later in the season.. in recent years too late to salvage the winter itself from mild bracket, with cold in March and April.

Summer is more interesting, I suspect we may well see a cool wet season now and again,.

Winter 09-10 was very interesting though, came courtesy of a favourable Enso state, and was unforecast from memory, the strat wasn't a factor I think? Likewise late 2010... had these periods not happened I would be much less optimistic for further notable sustained cold... remember we'd not seen such sustained cold that happened in mid Dec 09 to mid Jan 10 since way way back in Feb 86... Feb 91 was shorter lived.. and other cold spells also shorter lived. It was the coldest winter since 1978-79 for many and in Scotland since 1939-40 I think! colder than 46-47 and 62-63. Perhaps we may have to wait just as long though for another equitably cold winter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

The colours of autumn.

Not my photo.

297353031_531787152078090_2359191900562043802_n.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
45 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Autumns don't benefit from strat warming and is probably the season when most difficult to achieve cold throughout nowadays, especially on the back of warming summer. Spring has been our most erratic season in recent years, sometimes notably warm sometimes cold.. winter seems to depend increasingly on the behaviour of the strat, which again only tends to increase chance of cold later in the season.. in recent years too late to salvage the winter itself from mild bracket, with cold in March and April.

Summer is more interesting, I suspect we may well see a cool wet season now and again,.

Winter 09-10 was very interesting though, came courtesy of a favourable Enso state, and was unforecast from memory, the strat wasn't a factor I think? Likewise late 2010... had these periods not happened I would be much less optimistic for further notable sustained cold... remember we'd not seen such sustained cold that happened in mid Dec 09 to mid Jan 10 since way way back in Feb 86... Feb 91 was shorter lived.. and other cold spells also shorter lived. It was the coldest winter since 1978-79 for many and in Scotland since 1939-40 I think! colder than 46-47 and 62-63. Perhaps we may have to wait just as long though for another equitably cold winter!

I think Stewart Rampling (aka Glacier Point) went for a cold 2009/10 winter and I think TWO did also.  However, the Metoffice went for milder than average but changed their forecast at the end of December, going for a cold January and February.  

Definitely!  I remember prior to 2009, 'The large teapot' was often mentioned which basically ruled out good old fashioned sustained cold spells like those from winters past.  However, 2009/10 blew that theory straight out of the water!

Edited by Don

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

I think Stewart Rampling (aka Glacier Point) went for a cold 2009/10 winter and I think TWO did also.  However, the Metoffice went for milder than average but changed their forecast at the end of December, going for a cold January and February.  

Definitely!  I remember prior to 2009, 'The large teapot' was often mentioned which basically ruled out good old fashioned sustained cold spells like those from winters past.  However, 2009/10 blew that theory straight out of the water!

Winter 08-09 gave hints the atmosphere was undergoing a change from the generally very mild atlantic theme that dominated much of the time since summer 97 bar a few exceptions such as summer 03 and 06. I began to sit up and take note in summer 07 when we saw the jetstream take a much more southerly course.. July 13 marked the end of the colder weak buckled jet period, but I think we've entered a newer phase since Dec 20 back to weak buckled jet.. sometimes cold side at times last year, sometimes warm side, preety much since Nov last year.. don't be surprised to see a flip to cold side sooner rather than later.. 07-13 period brought warm side of jet phases as well but the colder phases won out more.. we may this time be seeing warmer phases winning out more..

• Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, Don said:

I remember the festive period of 2009, and early January 2010 being quite sunny and frosty. Would love more of those types of days every winter, instead of 2-3 weeks of dull cloudy days.

14 hours ago, Don said:

2008/09 was the one that started the trend of colder winters in the late 2000s.

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I remember the festive period of 2009, and early January 2010 being quite sunny and frosty. Would love more of those types of days every winter, instead of 2-3 weeks of dull cloudy days.

2008/09 was the one that started the trend of colder winters in the late 2000s.

Me too, followed by a week or so of snow!

Yes 2008/09 was the trend setter.  At the time, there were some thoughts it was probably just a one off cold winter.

Edited by Don

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

All I want is a calm, atmospheric October with mists. Is that too much to ask?

Nope