Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
12 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

More than 90, especially the forther south you go

Well, I'm hoping to see more snow than last winter, particularly now I've moved.  However, that would hardly be difficult!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 23/08/2022 at 10:11, LetItSnow! said:

to be fair, we've not done too badly in recent years with seasonable autumn weather. 2016-2020 all brought spells of enjoyable, seasonable weather. last autumn though was rather shambolic though... persistently warm to mild with no crisp weather at all. coming after a wet and cool summer down here, there were barely any colours on the leaves at all. this year will probably bring an intense display though due to dry weather! i imagine an early fall could be possible if we have a stormy spell on top of drought-stressed trees dropping early.

It was notable how late the trees turned last year, almost the end of October before any proper colour started appearing. Of course last year the trees were also bare well into April and May. This year will hopefully bring much better colours given how much more sunshine there's been overall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
25 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Think it will be mild until late October, before we see a drop in temp with more chilly days. 

I think it will remain mild for quite some time too. But mild and wet as opposed to mild and dry.

I can see autumn being quite a wet one this year, and the drought will feel like a distant memory.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
3 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I think it will remain mild for quite some time too. But mild and wet as opposed to mild and dry.

I can see autumn being quite a wet one this year, and the drought will feel like a distant memory.

Need to get rid of those areas of HP to our West then that's been there for so long, get the jet stream running back through

I'm personally struggling to see this anytime soon 

Posted
7 minutes ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Need to get rid of those areas of HP to our West then that's been there for so long, get the jet stream running back through

I'm personally struggling to see this anytime soon 

Don't worry, come Winter the HP will shift from the west and the jet stream will come shooting through. 😢

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Will be good to see another Eunice this season (either autumn or winter) to keep the flow of interesting weather going

Posted
5 hours ago, MP-R said:

It was notable how late the trees turned last year, almost the end of October before any proper colour started appearing. Of course last year the trees were also bare well into April and May. This year will hopefully bring much better colours given how much more sunshine there's been overall.

Geeky natural science alert....

Interestingly it’s more about the weather in autumn rather than summer.

According to the US Forest Service, “a succession of warm, sunny days and cool, crisp but not freezing nights in Autumn, seems to bring out the most spectacular colour displays.”

The two primary pigments in leaves are carotenoids that produce orange, yellow, and brown colors, and anthocyanins that are responsible for resplendent reds.

The orange pigments (carotenoids) are present in leaves year round and get to shine when the green chlorophyll takes a break. Because the orange pigments are constant, their showiness in the Autumn is predictable.  But, the red pigments (anthocyanins) are created in the Autumn in response to light, plant chemical changes, temperature, and water supply. This is where weather affects the brilliance of the Autumn colour display. (Source: Gardenista) 

Warm days and low temperatures (above freezing) at night boost the production of the red pigments, producing a more dazzling display.  But early frosts weaken the colours.

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
On 23/08/2022 at 21:22, cheeky_monkey said:

there is a 90% chance of the winter not being a cold one

I'd be happy with that.

I'll take a punt that high winds will be around again late Sept/Early Oct. Seems to be the trend over the last couple of years. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Down to 8C already in Wales.

• Like 2

Posted

First sub-10c morning of the season for me - stunning. Out on a bike ride at 6am, and it's the first time I've felt a chill for months, a real Autumn feel in the air. Dew on the fields, hawthorn, rose hips, blackberries in the fields and a beautiful morning mist over the Stour valley. I love this time of year

7 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Down to 8C already in Wales.

9.7c for me

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
On 24/08/2022 at 20:58, SummerShower said:

Will be good to see another Eunice this season (either autumn or winter) to keep the flow of interesting weather going

Yuk! no thanks

• Like 1

Posted

First night for a long time we didn't have the fan on in the bedroom and I actually woke up to a bit of a chill. Can't be more than 10° outside!

Edited by Seasonal Trim
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Really hope we see an October similar to October 2021 here.  We had loads of cool, foggy mornings followed by 18-20C sunshine in the afternoon.  Really pleasant and still had that autumnal feeling in the evenings.

Recorded a low of 8.9C here last night.  The coldest so far this month was 4.9C on the 6th August.  Highest was 33.9C according to my weather station.  Quite unusual to see a monthly range of 29C here.

Edited by Earthshine
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

So what seems to be one of the best August in years in this part of Norfolk , things seem to be look very unsettled for the start of September..I always take the first 2 weeks off have done for the last 18 years only ever had one bad September.Still a long way off but not looking great especially in the west where I am heading.

How ironic would it be if September turned out to be cool and wet.,when it's normally the continuous of summer.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Maybe this year Aug and September will trade places compared to many recent years. Surely its better that way anyway then a poor August and good September. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, sundog said:

Maybe this year Aug and September will trade places compared to many recent years. Surely its better that way anyway then a poor August and good September. 

Oh without doubt!

• Like 2

Posted

Autumn is a season where I'm usually divided. On the one hand a settled Autumn produces great colour and frost (SEP 07/Oct 16, Nov 05) but on the other hand Autumn's like 00 are actually capable of producing fantastic storms with wind, gale and rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Autumn is a season where I'm usually divided. On the one hand a settled Autumn produces great colour and frost (SEP 07/Oct 16, Nov 05) but on the other hand Autumn's like 00 are actually capable of producing fantastic storms with wind, gale and rain.

I generally prefer autumns that are settled provided that temperatures are seasonal and not warm and settled like last year.  Would  only prefer a stormy autumn against the likes of last year,which just didn't feel like autumn considering how warm it was.

• Like 1

Posted

I will be in England (Brighton) until the middle of October and that's my main chance to experience autumn. After that Greece for a few weeks so hoping for some Athenian storms but it is more likely to be dry and warm (with the occassional hot day) given recent trends.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 hours ago, sundog said:

Weather returning to tradition perhaps. We really have been spoilt with some Septembers recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

On the talk of spiders, the ones you see running across the floor and popping out of nowhere are males looking for a bit of spider lovin 😉 also I recently found out that if you evict them and put them outside they end up dying, not sure the reason why. On another note its been the invasion of moths here the past few days, not that they bother me I find them quite fascinating and also been much fun for the cat she's having a great time chasing them and hunting them down 😆 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Summer could be on its last few days now for this location, looks like being hit with north sea mist from Sun to Wed! then low pressure yuck takes over

Posted
2 hours ago, Row w said:

On the talk of spiders, the ones you see running across the floor and popping out of nowhere are males looking for a bit of spider lovin 😉 also I recently found out that if you evict them and put them outside they end up dying, not sure the reason why. 

Have had a few large house spiders recently.  However, in view that there are lots of cellar spiders in the house, I'm not sure they will last long indoors either! 😬 

• Like 1