Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Got over 2 inches of rain altogether here during yesterday and last night. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Still waiting for this washout weekend that we were promised.

It's finally arrived! Quite heavy too. 🌧️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

So much for this unsettled spell this weekend that the BBC was forecasting (particularly for western areas of the UK) with heavy rain...it just hasn't materialised, radar at the moment just shows the odd very scattered heavy shower in the midlands.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

So much for this unsettled spell this weekend that the BBC was forecasting (particularly for western areas of the UK) with heavy rain...it just hasn't materialised, radar at the moment just shows the odd very scattered heavy shower in the midlands.

Apart from a few spots of rain yesterday, this weekend has been dry and warm!

Posted

been warm all weekend with a small bit of rain as been sat in the middle of cardiff bay on a rib working, as we have been hosting the british keelboat youth match racing champs as i've been transferring teams between boats which was a bit interesting at times due to having to come alongside at speed and transfer crews, home now and knackered. 

with regards tonight potential I think we will just get really really heavy rain. I doubt we will get storms.

Edited by viking_smb

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Apart from a few spots of rain yesterday, this weekend has been dry and warm!

So not the 'autumnal feel' that Ben Rich kept on mentioning in 2 of his forecasts in mid-week? 🙂 lets be honest you don't get autumnal feeling weather in cyclonic southerlies at this time of year...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Can't fathom people begging for washout weekends. Sounds so amazing sitting indoors while its chucking it down and not being able to do anything lol. Been ok here today, was cloudy for the 1st half of the day but from 2pm to 6pm we had a lovely period of sunshine.

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

So not the 'autumnal feel' that Ben Rich kept on mentioning in 2 of his forecasts in mid-week? 🙂 lets be honest you don't get autumnal feeling weather in cyclonic southerlies at this time of year...

Does not feel autumnal what so ever and still pretty humid!!  

Posted

It's been a lovely weekend.

I don't want it to become fully autumnal just yet. We should still have warm weather during the first half of September. This is better for everyone, and stops people from wanting to use the heating.

Posted

Frequent heavy showers in the west now, looks like it could be a very lively night after what was a warm, sunny day following from a wet and very squally last night.

Edited by KTtom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Still waiting for more than 10 drops of rain here… which is incredible given how much is on the radar not far away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Still feels like summer here and 24C indoors upstairs with certainly a humid muggy feel to things.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Still feels like summer here and 24C indoors upstairs with certainly a humid muggy feel to things.

Indeed, still feels like high summer!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It's been a lovely weekend.

I don't want it to become fully autumnal just yet. We should still have warm weather during the first half of September. This is better for everyone, and stops people from wanting to use the heating.

It has been sat outside with my mate on his balcony today still feels lovely  autumn can wait 

Posted
3 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

1 hour ago, Don said:

Does not feel autumnal what so ever and still pretty humid!!  

To add to this poor terminology the forecaster on BBC Points West (not Ian Fergusson) this evening referred to 23c/24c tomorrow as ‘mild’ !!

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

To add to this poor terminology the forecaster on BBC Points West (not Ian Fergusson) this evening referred to 23c/24c tomorrow as ‘mild’ !!

I swear some BBC weather presenters 'dumb down' for Joe Public...or on the flip side try to make the weather appear like a soap opera but then the Beeb does have their own agenda.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

What is going wrong with Heathrows temperature recorder? They haven't recorded any temperature stats since 30th August! Really poor.

20220904_210715.jpg

Posted

We are in that no-man's land period - first three weeks of Septmeber, when summer seems to want to cling on, but nature shows we are now in autumn but the weather rarely seems to play ball - flipping between a late hazy languid often pleasant summer state, with brief shots of early autumn. We see the same state of affairs first 3 weeks of March, winter clings on - but we have a much more dualistic set of forces at play then, it still looks like winter - bare trees etc with glimmers of spring only, but then the clocks go forward and any sense of winter is shut down - conversely late Sept doesn't coincide with clocks going back, and mother nature only slowly continues to transition into autumn - often taking until mid Oct nowadays before it puts on full splendour, gales can occur in late Sept I guess making it feel more autumnal, but of all the seasons its the one that seems to arrive later and later, and lasts the shortest, by mid Nov it firmly feels like winter namely due to lack of light, and the preparations and expections associated with christmas just take over.

We've had such threads and thoughts before, but based on state of feeling I would say our seasons are now:

Early winter - mid Nov - late Dec

Heart of winter - late Dec - mid Feb

Late winter - Mid Feb - early March

Early Spring - early March to late March

Mid Spring - late March to late April

Late Spring - Late April to late May

Early Summer - Late May to late June

High Summer - late June to mid Aug (longest of them all)

Late Summer - Mid Aug to mid Sept

Early Autumn - late Sept to mid Oct

Mid Auutmn - Mid Oct to Early Nov

Late Autumn - this one lasts about 2 weeks only until 3rd week of Nov..

Weatherwise:

Depths of winter - mid Jan to mid Feb (coldest period of the year)

Late winter - Mid Feb - early March

Early Spring - Early March - Early April (cold spells often likely)

Mid Spring - Early April - Early May

Late Spring - Early May - late May (becoming shorter.. sometimes late May brings summer)

Early Summer - Late May - Early July

Depths of summer - Early July - Early Aug (hottest part of the year)

Late summer - Early Aug - mid Sept (this season has lenghtened markedly well into Sept)

Early Autumn - Mid Sept - Mid October

Mid Autumn - Mid Oct - Mid Nov 

Late Auutmn - Mid Nov - early Dec

Early Winter - Mid Dec to Mid Jan

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
4 hours ago, SunSean said:

Can't fathom people begging for washout weekends. Sounds so amazing sitting indoors while its chucking it down and not being able to do anything lol. Been ok here today, was cloudy for the 1st half of the day but from 2pm to 6pm we had a lovely period of sunshine.

In normal circumstances I'd agree, but when we haven't had very much of something for weeks or even months on end then I don't half appreciate it when it eventually arrives.

We have had many useable days including weekends since the beginning of the year. And we also had a lovely summer.

I'd equally feel the same way if the weather was generally unsettled for months on end.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
19 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I have memories of late summer 83, travelling on the tube to Epping to see my mum's friend who lived out that way. I recall hearing Howard Jones' New Song, Club Tropicana by Wham, and I'm Still Standing by Elton John, which leads me to believe it was possibly late september or early october 1983, as I remember some warm sunny days.

I distinctly remember Tuesday 30th August 1983, the penultimate day of the summer and penultimate day of the fine spell. A day of low humidity and deep blue skies. I distinctly hearing "Red Red Wine" replacing "Give It Up" at number one on the radio in the afternoon; I think in those days charts were announced on Tuesday so that would figure. I've also checked the old chart listings and that was indeed the week when this happened.

Regarding the songs you quote, New Song came out in the autumn but the other two were around in August.

Wed 31st was the day of the breakdown. More humid and hazier than the 30th and Ac Cast started building up in the afternoon (this was Cheshire, not down south). After dark thundery rain arrived with one or two rumbles of thunder. Then as I've mentioned about four days of disturbed, windy weather.

The warm sunny spell of late Sep 1983 developed on, I think, Thursday 22nd following a particularly potent southerly-tracking low the previous day which ended the wet spell. The initial two days were a bit of a surprise (they weren't originally forecast to be that special) then a cold front produced some isolated thundery activity (evening of 23rd I think), the weekend was slightly cloudy but the Monday, when we went on a school trip, was notably sunny and warm. The sunny warm weather was forecast to continue until the end of the month but in the event, as often happens beyond the equinox, cloud started to build up within the high and I think there was also a day or two of persistent fog. Still warm or very warm, though.

September 1994 was a bit similar to 1983 in the sense it was mostly dull and wet (but with some interesting thundery activity, which 1983 rather lacked) before switching to settled at much the same time. The settled spell of 1994 was almost completely cloudy, though - but early Oct produced some very sunny conditions for a couple of weeks.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
12 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

"Mild" for such temperatures actually (to me) makes sense for climates where high twenties or so is the norm for summer. AFAIK it's used in the USA quite a lot for this precise purpose.

You could call it "warm" but after a hot spell that doesn't sound the right word, as relative to the hot spell, it's not warm! Instead, it's pleasant weather. Not too hot and not too cold. Having spent much of this summer in a hot climate, I can actually see the value in using "mild" for warm, but not hot, temps following a hot spell. The temps have dropped but it's still pleasant, so "cool" (which implies, perhaps, something cloudy, breezy and below 20C) doesn't make sense either.

One could go so far as to say that 23/24c with sunny weather is more "mild" than say 10C in winter in the middle of an Atlantic storm with a deluge and very strong winds!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

"Mild" for such temperatures actually (to me) makes sense for climates where high twenties or so is the norm for summer. AFAIK it's used in the USA quite a lot for this precise purpose.

You could call it "warm" but after a hot spell that doesn't sound the right word, as relative to the hot spell, it's not warm! Instead, it's pleasant weather. Not too hot and not too cold. Having spent much of this summer in a hot climate, I can actually see the value in using "mild" for warm, but not hot, temps following a hot spell. The temps have dropped but it's still pleasant, so "cool" (which implies, perhaps, something cloudy, breezy and below 20C) doesn't make sense either.

One could go so far as to say that 23/24c with sunny weather is more "mild" than say 10C in winter in the middle of an Atlantic storm with a deluge and very strong winds!

When I'm walking around in a muggy 24c in warm sunshine dripping with sweat, my last choice of words would be "corr, it's mild". 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Autumn has not started very well at all,  very warm and humid, a continuation of the uncomfortable summer weather, fingers crossed this week will produce a fresher more pleasant weather pattern.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Autumn has not started very well at all,  very warm and humid, a continuation of the uncomfortable summer weather, fingers crossed this week will produce a fresher more pleasant weather pattern.

I have enjoyed the start to autumn so far, still been warm and muggy and have already had 2 thunderstorm this September,and a fair amount of rain, would enjoy a cool down soon though. 

• Like 1