Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Really craving some chilly nights, we've had so few of them this summer/autumn. The muggy nights are becoming tiresome.

• Like 7

Posted
25 minutes ago, markyo said:

Autumn has not started very well at all,  very warm and humid, a continuation of the uncomfortable summer weather, fingers crossed this week will produce a fresher more pleasant weather pattern.

Yes, I'm ready for some fresher weather now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

I distinctly remember Tuesday 30th August 1983, the penultimate day of the summer and penultimate day of the fine spell. A day of low humidity and deep blue skies. I distinctly hearing "Red Red Wine" replacing "Give It Up" at number one on the radio in the afternoon; I think in those days charts were announced on Tuesday so that would figure. I've also checked the old chart listings and that was indeed the week when this happened.

Regarding the songs you quote, New Song came out in the autumn but the other two were around in August.

Wed 31st was the day of the breakdown. More humid and hazier than the 30th and Ac Cast started building up in the afternoon (this was Cheshire, not down south). After dark thundery rain arrived with one or two rumbles of thunder. Then as I've mentioned about four days of disturbed, windy weather.

The warm sunny spell of late Sep 1983 developed on, I think, Thursday 22nd following a particularly potent southerly-tracking low the previous day which ended the wet spell. The initial two days were a bit of a surprise (they weren't originally forecast to be that special) then a cold front produced some isolated thundery activity (evening of 23rd I think), the weekend was slightly cloudy but the Monday, when we went on a school trip, was notably sunny and warm. The sunny warm weather was forecast to continue until the end of the month but in the event, as often happens beyond the equinox, cloud started to build up within the high and I think there was also a day or two of persistent fog. Still warm or very warm, though.

September 1994 was a bit similar to 1983 in the sense it was mostly dull and wet (but with some interesting thundery activity, which 1983 rather lacked) before switching to settled at much the same time. The settled spell of 1994 was almost completely cloudy, though - but early Oct produced some very sunny conditions for a couple of weeks.

Yeah I remember early October 1994 started cold and cloudy, but became very warm during the second week with long clear sunny spells. The warm spell lasted for about a week I think. It was 20-21c on the Monday. This was during my time at college.

Like the fact you mentioned UB40 Red Red Wine, as that always signals a transition from summer into early autumn. I recall hearing that song being played quite often on the radio in 83. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I must be in the minority when I say that I’m enjoying the ongoing warm nights. 

It probably won’t last beyond the middle of September. I’m making the most of it. 

Doesn't look like many coming up with all of these tropical systems flying around. Double figure minima at least here until mid month with temps above 20c every day....just another extension of summer really.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I must be in the minority when I say that I’m enjoying the ongoing warm nights. 

Don't know about that, but in my view we've had enough warm nights during the last 3 months and I'm ready for some cooler weather now!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Not sure what there is to enjoy about it being 16C and humid at 4am but each to their own!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Doesn't look like many coming up with all of these tropical systems flying around. Double figure minima at least here until mid month with temps above 20c every day....just another extension of summer really.

As has often been the case during many recent years!  Starting to get a bad feeling about this month now, won't say why....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Up here it’s more typical to have decent weather in early September with a marked change around a week or so in. This weeks forecast suggests that trend will continue this autumn. Temps don’t necessarily tumble but to be fair this year is the outlier in having consistently warm temperatures during the summer.

Still very much feels like the dog days of summer that are just drawing to a close. Just as winter can cling on until late March, Summer can also linger through until mid month here. Nature doesn’t necessarily obey the calendar. Just as March and April can be very cold up here (sometimes the coldest part of the year) there’s no reason for the heat and humidity not to persist for a while, although less likely to do so for as long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Really craving some chilly nights, we've had so few of them this summer/autumn. The muggy nights are becoming tiresome.

Couldn't agree more! house is continually warm, I go out jogging every other night around 8ish' and I haven't seen the thermometer dip below 20c at that time, but where is the cooler/fresher conditions going to come from? no sign of the Atlantic barraging through or any north westerlies or Pm air...just more southerlies or slack continental drift by the looks of it in the outlook.

Last time in my location we failed to make 21c/70f was way back on 30th June!!...says it all.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

As much as I am longing for cooler more autumnal temperatures and those cold misty mornings, it isn't unusual for the first half of September to continue with some of the temps seen during summer. Much like with the first half of March continuing to be cold and wintery. 

In both cases, it has often been around the equniox when things started to drastically change. At least with this September so far, we have had some meaningful rainfall in many areas, and that is looking set to continue throughout the week. So perhaps this is the beginning of the end of the drought?

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Not sure what there is to enjoy about it being 16C and humid at 4am but each to their own!

I tend to be asleep at that time so don’t notice 🤣

Posted

September starting on an exceptionally warm note here. The mean temp to the 5th is currently 19.3C (+3.8C).

The previous warmest first 5 days was 1999 with 19.0C, followed by 2013 on 18.4C. The record-breaking 2006 was only 17.9C at this point.

Early days of course, but the models have us very warm until mid-month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Nothing extreme.

Really warm and humid today which is disappointing.  This wretched summer just won't leave us alone will it.  I am getting tired of it now!

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, reef said:

September starting on an exceptionally warm note here. The mean temp to the 5th is currently 19.3C (+3.8C).

The previous warmest first 5 days was 1999 with 19.0C, followed by 2013 on 18.4C. The record-breaking 2006 was only 17.9C at this point.

Early days of course, but the models have us very warm until mid-month.

Yep, looking like September could well be another well above average month of 2022!  Starting to wonder if we will actually have a below average month at all this year?!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.77547312dd61b77159c662bdc00b4adf.png

Shout out to the UKV for this excellent forecast today.

Shows a very localised 26-27c in Suffolk/Norfolk....and today's max is currently 27c in Norwich. Next highest anywhere is 25c, unusual to have a gap that large.

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, Don said:

Yep, looking like September could well be another well above average month of 2022!  Starting to wonder if we will actually have a below average month at all this year?!

Same as mine Reef!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
48 minutes ago, Don said:

Starting to look ominous already regarding this coming winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

It's not humid in Devon anymore, it's been pretty cool the  past few days, was like heaven listening to the rain on my window last night, missed it 🙂

Posted

Severe Weather Europe plumping for below average snowfall across Europe and UK this Winter. Temps look to be around average for UK, according to them.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
21 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

As it's currently a sweltering 27C over here, a question is begged: Where did all that cool, cloudy and wet weather go? I do wonder sometimes what charts some peeps are seeing!🤔

23C here but forecast heavy rain overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Posted
46 minutes ago, sundog said:

Starting to look ominous already regarding this coming winter. 

It does a bit doesn't it?!  However, very early days.

• Like 1