Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

83 remained quite warm into the autumn and early winter. October was still quite warm at times, and I remember some days feeling quite summery.

I think the summer had little repeated bursts way into the autumn but never long enough to make much of a mark. September 1983 had some exceptionally warm southerlies in the third week but overall was a cool, wet and dull month. IIRC, October 1983, like you said, had some warm spells - but I also think it had some very cold weather, particularly by night, towards the end of the month - akin to October 1997.

Posted
14 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Haha, I live in an old converted barn, we joke that we're the home of the British National Spider Collection !! 

No sign of a Daddy Longlegs - the traditional harbinger of Autumn yet.

Daddy long legs are evident all year in my home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, damianslaw said:

Daddy long legs are evident all year in my home.

I don't mind daddy long legs.

Literally the only thing like that I'm scared of is giant house spiders. The way they look and the way they move. My heart rate goes through the roof!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

I don't mind daddy long legs.

Literally the only thing like that I'm scared of is giant house spiders. The way they look and the way they move. My heart rate goes through the roof!

Yes daddy long legs dangle about. Big house spiders are more menacing.

• Like 1

Posted

I once put on a pair of shorts that had been drying on the radiator. Had a weird feeling on my leg and suddenly one of these bad boys drop out on to the floor. Ever since I’ve always shook my clothes before putting them on....
A1935AFD-5D6A-4A48-A4F5-A6BAB346DA24.thumb.jpeg.29372e86e1657de70bf357e7d4dd7db7.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I had a stare off with a house spider a couple of nights ago.

It was one of those where it was too close to the skirting board for me to get near it as it'd just run behind it if I got too near. Must have waited 10 minutes for it to move into a clearer area but it never did. So in the end I picked up some bleach spray and squirted it from about 3 foot away. No idea if I managed to land enough on it. Guess we'll see if it reappears at some point.

Bleach will knock those bastards dead.

I also use peppermint oil, as they hate the smell.

8 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

I once put on a pair of shorts that had been drying on the radiator. Had a weird feeling on my leg and suddenly one of these bad boys drop out on to the floor. Ever since I’ve always shook my clothes before putting them on....
A1935AFD-5D6A-4A48-A4F5-A6BAB346DA24.thumb.jpeg.29372e86e1657de70bf357e7d4dd7db7.jpeg

Defo using bleach on this bugger or a CO2 extinguisher and watch it freeze to death lol.

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes daddy long legs dangle about. Big house spiders are more menacing.

I don’t know why people say you shouldn’t kill them. I hate those fookers 

Posted
34 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t know why people say you shouldn’t kill them. I hate those fookers 

The thing is if you leave them be the next thing you know they’re on your bed or running out of your clothing when you least expect it. Not worth leaving them.

Posted
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The thing is if you leave them be the next thing you know they’re on your bed or running out of your clothing when you least expect it. Not worth leaving them.

That’s why I kill them or spray them lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I find it sad how we so easily kill harmless insects just because they inconvience us or we’re scared of them.

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, James M said:

I find it sad how we so easily kill harmless insects just because they inconvience us or we’re scared of them.

Well, I don’t like them and find them unpleasant. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Doesn’t mean you have to kill them on sight though! 

it just bugs me how we have this attitude. We need to get out of this mind set, especially as so many insects species are declining.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

That’s why I kill them or spray them lol.

Why not catch them in a glass or jug and put them outside 🤷

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, James M said:

it just bugs me how we have this attitude. We need to get out of this mind set, especially as so many insects species are declining.

I got bitten by one some years back, so with all due respects, this is a good enough reason why I decide to kill them. 

1 minute ago, Wold Topper said:

Why not catch them in a glass or jug and put them outside 🤷

No. I just don’t like going near them. Either stamp on them or spray them on kill them dead on the spot. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, James M said:

With a warming climate, aren’t you more concerned about the potential for more deadly poisonous animals to appear on our shores.

It’s a given this will happen if our climate becomes more hospitable for the likes of insects this country wouldn’t have seen in say 1980. 

That is something I’m worrying about. 

Posted

Its become spider chat thread. Spiders don't bother me, but on occasion can startle me when they suddenly appear unexpected i.e. when they scuttle out from under something.. or when you go to the sink and one is lurking in it. They like damp places such as toilets and sinks. 

• Like 1

Posted

I got bitten by one some years back, so with all due respects, this is a good enough reason why I decide to kill them. 

No. I just don’t like going near them. Either stamp on them or spray them on kill them dead on the spot. 

Spider or crane fly? Crane flies don’t have mouth parts so they won’t bite you. I’ve been bitten by spiders before, still catch them and put them outside when I don’t want them around.

Sorry it’s a real bug bear of mine. I work in conservation and so I see a lot of the attitudes towards wildlife that the general public have. I get that a lot of people are afraid of them but we really do need to learn to change our attitudes.

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Unless you have genuine arachnophobia 🤔 then you are just being pathetic and a pair of 'big boy pants' should be top of your shopping list 🙄

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 3

Posted

With a warming climate, aren’t you more concerned about the potential for more deadly poisonous animals to appear on our shores.

It’s a given this will happen if our climate becomes more hospitable for the likes of insects this country wouldn’t have seen in say 1980. 

That is something I’m worrying about. 

Unless they are introduced by humans there aren’t a lot of deadly or venomous creatures that would arrive here. Different species of mosquitoes that carry diseases for example could arrive, in which case killing them would be a case of self preservation and defense. I for example have killed ticks that I have found (Lyme disease etc) 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, James M said:

Spider or crane fly? Crane flies don’t have mouth parts so they won’t bite you. I’ve been bitten by spiders before, still catch them and put them outside when I don’t want them around.

Sorry it’s a real bug bear of mine. I work in conservation and so I see a lot of the attitudes towards wildlife that the general public have. I get that a lot of people are afraid of them but we really do need to learn to change our attitudes.

I fully appreciate your efforts, and understand why my attitude towards spiders doesn’t sit well with you. 

The problem here is, I have a phobia, so it’s not that easy to just change one’s attitude.

It would be like saying to someone who’s scared of flying, they need to just change their attitudes and get on a plane. Sometimes conquering a phobia is too much of a tall order.

I’m not trying to be pedantic, but just sharing my thoughts as this is a common problem that many people have.

15 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Unless you have genuine arachnophobia 🤔 then you are just being pathetic and a pair of 'big boy pants' should be top of your shopping list 🙄

I just find your comment quite insulting. 

It’s really ignorant of you to assume everyone can just put on their ‘big boy pants’ as you say. 

Lots of people don’t like them. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I fully appreciate your efforts, and understand why my attitude towards spiders doesn’t sit well with you. 

The problem here is, I have a phobia, so it’s not that easy to just change one’s attitude.

It would be like saying to someone who’s scared of flying, they need to just change their attitudes and get on a plane. Sometimes conquering a phobia is too much of a tall order.

I’m not trying to be pedantic, but just sharing my thoughts as this is a common problem that many people have.

I just find your comment quite insulting. 

It’s really ignorant of you to assume everyone can just put on their ‘big boy pants’ as you say. 

Lots of people don’t like them. 

Hence why i posted 'unless you have arachnophobia' 🙄 in which case i understand!!! You didn't make that clear, you just seemed to find it funny to post that you 'spray and stamp' on spiders willy nilly?!? Then you flip to persecution complex because you don't like my reply, sorry if i offended you petal 😂

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 4

Posted

Arachnophobia has led to people having heart attacks before now. It's a serious phobia that is very common. That is why it's not feasible for some people to just simply let a spider continue to roam the house. It's all good and well for someone who doesn't have a fear to just simply say 'oh let it be'. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Most spiders don’t bother me but they get taken outside when I find them indoors, apart from cellar spiders. I let them stay as they are pretty efficient hunters. I don’t like killing anything, but understand it when people have arachnophobia. Had a friend at Uni and as soon as she saw even a small spider, she’d go into a complete terrified meltdown. My mum in law has a rule that everything outside the house and in the garden is left alone (‘their territory’) but anything coming into the house (‘her territory’) is mercilessly dispatched. She lives in Australia.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, James M said:

8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

8 hours ago, James M said:

Put it this way.

If the humans are wiped out in a flash, the insects and indeed the whole planet won't miss us.

If the insects are wiped out in a flash,  we are in deep 💩 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone. 🙂

I have to say that it certainly feels 'backendish' outside this morning. 😃

Plus I've also seen my first daddy Longlegs of the season! ... Autumn is most definitely starting to pop its head up over the top of the metaphorical parapet! 🍃🍂🍁🍄🥳

• Like 1