Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 hours ago, SunSean said:

Wondering what is the point of these moans threads now that we have all these separate threads for people who like different stuff like the heat haters thread etc. These threads used to have loads of banter between sun haters and sun worshippers etc but now they are a barren wasteland! I think it should go back to the old way of just having a moans thread because otherwise it just separates users into different sections of the site which I find a shame. I know people like different weather and there can be arguments etc but there can also be more togetherness like the amount of times ive seen people apologise to another after a disagreement and it ends on a wholesome note! Or the jokes and laughs. The banter and fun is gone on these threads! Bring back the moan threads as the main threads I say!

Agree with you. It’s a real shame that cliques have formed, never a good thing and there’s too much separation going on now, so the site has suffered (imho) and started to get a bit boring. I know we all like different things and guilt tripping (from all sides) has been an issue at times, but there aren’t so many interesting discussions and interactions going on. 
Anyway, apologies as this has nothing to do with autumn 🍂 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree with you. It’s a real shame that cliques have formed, never a good thing and there’s too much separation going on now, so the site has suffered (imho) and started to get a bit boring. I know we all like different things and guilt tripping (from all sides) has been an issue at times, but there aren’t so many interesting discussions and interactions going on. 

Couldn't agree more, so long as the banter is friendly, apologies are made if any overstep occurs i can't see why we need separate threads. On that note i can't blinking wait for the coolness of Autumn to arrive after this Summer endurance slog!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

If only eh 😂. If I hated a climate that much, then it would be down to me to do something about it lol. The weather ain’t gonna change for anyone, it’s down to you to adapt or make changes for the weather! 

Moving is a good solution in some ways but it’s not that easy to do and likely to be rather expensive. It’d be easier to heat-proof one’s home, I would have thought? Like install air conditioning, or a mobile cooling unit for the bedroom at the very least so sleeping is made easier. Some people on the forum have done this and they’re much happier. I must say that moving to the Czech Republic was a great move for me as I love the climate. The nature of my job allows me to commute to London without too much stress and the move itself wasn’t that expensive. Not for everyone, though.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
46 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yeah, that was always part of the fun of the moans threads, seeing all the disagreements, banter, cheeky digs etc. Now we just have echo chambers for people who all like the same weather lol. Hopefully the heat haters thread will be a one off this year and next year we can get back to the old way of the moans threads being the main.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

I'm trying to find some lovely looking early taste of Autumn charts from the GFS or ECM or similar but in all honestly I'm struggling.

Autumn may be 17 days away - I'm extremely unconfident that September 1st will be anything like the way of Autumnal weather!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I support maintaining this thread, people insisting that we should enjoy hellfire can be grating when I'm enduring an internal temperature above 25C.

Moving to Inverness would definitely be cheaper than doing anything in London unless your career is investment banking.

On the topic at hand, I did find it much more humid yesterday evening and difficult to sleep in but the radar is looking glorious.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Oh, come on, SB: a clique of folks who hate heat is hardly the end of the world?😊

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Oh, come on, SB: a clique of folks who hate heat is hardly the end of the world?😊

I didn’t say it was 😊 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

I'm trying to find some lovely looking early taste of Autumn charts from the GFS or ECM or similar but in all honestly I'm struggling.

Autumn may be 17 days away - I'm extremely unconfident that September 1st will be anything like the way of Autumnal weather!

Early September in many years is a banker for bring dry.. often on the back of wet ends to August.. at some point the jet will get its act together.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
14 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Some people can’t work from home, therefore can’t move to another part of the country.

I’m forever stuck in London.

image.gif.613aee3f403c2cd8505b2ce686e9dc3e.gif

why ? as Morgan Freeman says " there is a bus that leaves town at 5.30pm everyday"

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

why ? as Morgan Freeman says " there is a bus that leaves town at 5.30pm everyday"

Part of the reason being, my partner works as a garden designer in west London. Most of her clients are in or around that part of London. 

Relocating to another area, even 50 miles away isn’t really an option, not at this time. 

Every time we head to the Sussex coast, we tend to have grand ideas of moving down there, for the air and quality of life, but putting it into practice is another story.

At the moment, I don’t have a job that allows me the flexibility to work from home, although it’s something I’m working towards. It may take a couple more years. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

It really looked like autumn in my local town yesterday.  I was on some of the side roads looking for parking and there were brown leaves on the ground everywhere round the parked cars - it looked like a late October day!  I hope the trees recover well.

• Like 2

Posted

Spotted my first Autumnal mist of the season earlier. Out on my bike at 05:45 on top of Atherstone Hill, looking down on the Stour valley with a lovely carpet of mist covering it. 

Beautiful 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
2 hours ago, sarahng said:

It really looked like autumn in my local town yesterday.  I was on some of the side roads looking for parking and there were brown leaves on the ground everywhere round the parked cars - it looked like a late October day!  I hope the trees recover well.

Lots of leaf drop locally to me, in fact yesterday evening someone was out with the leaf blower clearing up...

Edited by Wynn D Woo

Posted
8 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Seems spider season has started 😩

Haha, I live in an old converted barn, we joke that we're the home of the British National Spider Collection !! 

No sign of a Daddy Longlegs - the traditional harbinger of Autumn yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
9 hours ago, CreweCold said:

It is just starting over here. There haven't been any giant house spiders just yet, but I have been noticing orb webs in my front garden which is a sure sign that autumn is on its way. Usually mid to late August I begin to notice those giant house spiders wondering around my house. So any time now. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
On 16/08/2022 at 08:05, sarahng said:

I noticed that too - lots of trees seems to be shedding their leaves very early this year

• Like 2

Posted
17 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I killed a couple already. One fell out of my t shirt the other day, as I went to shake it. 

I sprayed the bugger with Ajax and watched it perish. 

6 hours ago, Paul_1978 said:

I noticed that too - lots of trees seems to be shedding their leaves very early this year

Is that a sign of a cold winter? Lol

Hi peeps,

Just on a concerning note, I am just wondering after all the heat we have had how long will it finally take things to cool down properly. More specially when we have September round the corner and going by some people who believe that a warm September often leads to a mild winter and vice versa.  If there is any truth in this then yes it does make me concerned as at the moment there is still no sign of any dramatic cool down that would put temperatures below average for this coming September. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
58 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Hi peeps,

Just on a concerning note, I am just wondering after all the heat we have had how long will it finally take things to cool down properly. More specially when we have September round the corner and going by some people who believe that a warm September often leads to a mild winter and vice versa.  If there is any truth in this then yes it does make me concerned as at the moment there is still no sign of any dramatic cool down that would put temperatures below average for this coming September. 

Things can change very quickly. For example, August 1995 (the hottest, driest and sunniest August on record so far) quite quickly transitioned into a very wet and, relatively much cooler September. The same is also true in September 1975, September 1976 and September 1983. Time will tell.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, E17boy said:

Hi peeps,

Despite any predictions, nobody knows for certain how September will pan out as things can change very quickly. In fact, predicting the weather becomes difficult after more than a few days ahead, let alone a few weeks. 

The summer of 2003 was hot and dry and people back then were probably wondering the same thing. But at the turn of the equinox, the weather took a drastic turn and the heat of that summer became a distant memory.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, E17boy said:

Hi peeps,

I honestly think it will remain warm until early November, with not many days below 20c. Followed by a cloudy wet mild November, and no frosts until mid December.

1 hour ago, LetItSnow! said:

Things can change very quickly. For example, August 1995 (the hottest, driest and sunniest August on record so far) quite quickly transitioned into a very wet and, relatively much cooler September. The same is also true in September 1975, September 1976 and September 1983. Time will tell.

83 remained quite warm into the autumn and early winter. October was still quite warm at times, and I remember some days feeling quite summery.

December that year was very mild around the Christmas period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
12 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It is just starting over here. There haven't been any giant house spiders just yet, but I have been noticing orb webs in my front garden which is a sure sign that autumn is on its way. Usually mid to late August I begin to notice those giant house spiders wondering around my house. So any time now. 

I had a stare off with a house spider a couple of nights ago.

It was one of those where it was too close to the skirting board for me to get near it as it'd just run behind it if I got too near. Must have waited 10 minutes for it to move into a clearer area but it never did. So in the end I picked up some bleach spray and squirted it from about 3 foot away. No idea if I managed to land enough on it. Guess we'll see if it reappears at some point.