Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
35 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I wonder how close Aboyne, Lossiemouth and Kinloss will get to 20C on Friday?

I would expect Aboyne to be a bit lower than Aberdeen due to it's inland location. Lossie and Kinloss might go higher temperature wise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Thankfully, it looks like this very mild spell will only be lasting for a few days. From Monday, it's back to being more or less seasonal.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 06/11/2022 at 15:18, mb018538 said:

Tell you what….day after day of rain gets tedious a whole lot quicker than day after day of sun. Been horrendous here again today, about the 4th time in the last couple of weeks it’s been a total washout.

It’s been really wet here too, in fact I don’t think I’ve had a day where it hasn’t rained this month. I know it’s November, but this is ridiculous! ☔☔☔

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Flying home today..and should land tomorrow weather looks positively balmy +15-16c..currently -25c here so will be a welcome change 

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Flying home today..and should land tomorrow weather looks positively balmy +15-16c..currently -25c here so will be a welcome change 

I hope you've packed your shorts because it will feel warm enough after -25C!!

Edited by Don
  • Like 3

Posted
46 minutes ago, Don said:

I hope you've packed your shorts because it will feel warm enough after -25C!!

not quite but im leaving all my winter gear behind and bringing a rain jacket instead😉

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It’s been really wet here too, in fact I don’t think I’ve had a day where it hasn’t rained this month. I know it’s November, but this is ridiculous! ☔☔☔

Its November.. fill in the blank: ' a **** month!'.

• Like 1

Posted

Have we lost the ability to have chilly nights!? 

It’s crystal clear, moonlit and starry but does not feel anything like a November night at 10.4c .

My point is not so much the temperature, moreso that it’s such a figure under the clear sky!

Posted
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not quite but im leaving all my winter gear behind and bringing a rain jacket instead😉

Trouble is you will sweat in a rain jacket! 😬

56 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Have we lost the ability to have chilly nights!? 

We most certainly have for now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
8 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Just for a day or two, I wouldn't mind experiencing a temp of -25 Celsius out of curiosity as to what it would be like, seeing as it is a temp not normally seen in the UK. 

I imagine for you, you don't think much of it seeing as you are so used to that kind of temp. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Just for a day or two, I wouldn't mind experiencing a temp of -25 Celsius out of curiosity as to what it would be like, seeing as it is a temp not normally seen in the UK. 

I imagine for you, you don't think much of it seeing as you are so used to that kind of temp. 🙂 

Go to Altnaharra recorded -27 twice possibly? or Braemar. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

-25.2C was recorded in Shawbury, Shropshire on the 13th December 1981!

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

-25c here in winter is much like +25c in summer it happens on a fairly regular basis... if you dress appropriately you just don't take much notice of it

• Like 1

Posted

13c, dry and windy to start the day. Perfect for drying out firewood for the wood burner 😎 

Forecast is for double digit figures to continue until next Wednesday.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Both have recorded -27.2c, the coldest recorded UK temperatures. The most recent was Altnaharra almost 30 years ago.

I doubt we will see those temperatures broken again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I'm no expert but I've had the feeling for a while now that the end of November/start of December will see the first cold shot of the winter with snow for some.

Like a said just a gut feeling but the start of winter proper so a great time for it to happen and all the mild muck that has gone before will be quickly forgotten.

Fingers crossed for cold lovers or even just those wanting to see something a bit more seasonal. 

Edited by John88B
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

-25c here in winter is much like +25c in summer it happens on a fairly regular basis... if you dress appropriately you just don't take much notice of it

I didn’t mind minus 25c, especially when it’s dry cold and sunny. Like you say, if you know it’s going to be that cold, just wrap up.

Posted
47 minutes ago, John88B said:

I'm no expert but I've had the feeling for a while now that the end of November/start of December will see the first cold shot of the winter with snow for some.

Like a said just a gut feeling but the start of winter proper so a great time for it to happen and all the mild muck that has gone before will be quickly forgotten.

Fingers crossed for cold lovers or even just those wanting to see something a bit more seasonal. 

I hope so, but I don’t mind having some mild damp weather during October and November with some chilly days, but once it gets to December I prefer the cold and dry weather, with a sprinkling of a couple of damp days.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, John88B said:

Would be lovely so have something seasonal, as well as see something different on the charts. It gets tiresome seeing the same thing day after day.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Both have recorded -27.2c, the coldest recorded UK temperatures. The most recent was Altnaharra almost 30 years ago.

I doubt we will see those temperatures broken again.

Having spoken to people who live in the Aviemore area, it should be noted that this is just the official weather station figures.

Some people recorded below -30C in more sheltered locations and frost hollows in winter 2010 (and I think 1995).

Altnaharra IS a frost hollow which is why it so consistently produces amongst the coldest temperatures. I think they put the weather station there because the area is so remote there is no other village nearby.  The "A road" through the village is a 39 mile single track road.

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

Having spoken to people who live in the Aviemore area, it should be noted that this is just the official weather station figures.

Some people recorded below -30C in more sheltered locations and frost hollows in winter 2010 (and I think 1995).

Altnaharra IS a frost hollow which is why it so consistently produces amongst the coldest temperatures. I think they put the weather station there because the area is so remote there is no other village nearby.  The "A road" through the village is a 39 mile single track road.

Did you see any photos of these -30c temperatures? The lowest official temperature for January 2010 was -22.3c in Altnaharra.

Anything below -20c, I tend to take a picture as proof.

11 Feb 2021

Due to the location of car RTDs, you can knock off approximately 1.5c.

Could contain: Gauge, Tachometer, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Wheel, Machine

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

What are indoor temperatures set at?

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

In terms of weather, do you have much in the way of spring and autumn or does it tend to go straight from summer to winter (and vice versa)?

I have always been curious about the weather in other parts of the world. So apologies in advance for the questions. 😁

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
On 06/11/2022 at 15:15, BruenSryan said:

Eh, 2016. Dec 2016 has the 2nd highest average pressure for Heathrow of any month this century so far.

Could contain: Chart

Maybe, but I remember a lot of drizzle so it didn't "seem" especially settled. Was more thinking of the kind of month when it's dry with no precipitation at all for prolonged periods, and I think 2014 is the only example of that in the past 10 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

As I thought might happen, the current very mild spell is accompanied by large amounts of cloud. There was a brief interlude of clear weather yesterday evening, when convection had died down but the moisture-laden Tm grot hadn't yet invaded.

It's very rare to get weather that is both unseasonably mild and sunny from November to January. It can happen (e.g. 2011) but probably is most likely to following dry weather in October, when there isn't so much pervading damp around.

Looks like we'll get three or four days of dry, mild and dull, then back to the wet weather next week. This will be a very wet autumn round here - it's almost certain now that November will end up significantly wetter than normal (irrespective of what happens in the final 10 days or so), following a wet October and wet September. In particular, this autumn will end up being a very notable outlier in the "mild and wet" quarter of a graph with temp and rainfall on the two axes. All that talk of drought sounds like ancient history now.

Edited by Summer8906