Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Temperature Record Monitor Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates
1 minute ago, Evening thunder said:

I've noticed how this heatwave is most remarkable for more central-northern areas of England compared to averages and historical records.

Here we had just one day above 30C yesterday, which compares to 9 out of 11 (and 11 in a row above 29C) in 1976. Parts of the SW, towards north/West Devon and into Cornwall broke their record yesterday, but also down to Plymouth. The Exeter area must be one of the few parts of the country left where the record is still from nearly 50 years ago (33.5C in 1976).

And also that before 2015, this used to be the July record (and nearly was until 2019). Now we're going about 4C higher, after going 2.2C higher in 2019..

and what is really crackers about that is on the current trajectory Newcastle is going to now have a higher record temperature than Exeter....

• Like 2

Posted

A long way from the extremes elsewhere, one of the more remarkable readings is 26.5 at Dundrennan in the far southwest.  Would love to know the record for that area.

• Like 1

Posted

35.9C the Davis fan aspirated station in Upton Park. 

Wow!! London is hotting up significantly

EDIT: 36C now!!!

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Heathrow 34.7C at 10:20am.

Don't think we be seeing 40 at Heathrow rate of increase is slowing everywhere.

Rough calculations using reads for Kew and Heathrow for last 4hours and drawing curve has the places that are just below 35 now being in upper 39s at 2pm think the cloud coming up from South west will stop further rises in London after 2pm.

Further east/north will get longer heating, I think we will see the highest temperatures around Ely at 5pm I am guessing a peak of  40.9

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, recklessabandon said:

and what is really crackers about that is on the current trajectory Newcastle is going to now have a higher record temperature than Exeter....

Yeah, in some ways I've been slightly surprised that some northern locations didn't have higher records than they do(did), due to a long land track available in the right set up, but now they will... records going to be smashed by a huge margin.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
1 minute ago, pages said:

Rough calculations using reads for Kew and Heathrow for last 4hours and drawing curve has the places that are just below 35 now being in upper 39s at 2pm think the cloud coming up from South west will stop further rises in London after 2pm.

Further east/north will get longer heating, I think we will see the highest temperatures around Ely at 5pm I am guessing a peak of  40.9

Heathrow now well over 35c btw.

Anyways I suspect London may just fall short bit other areas look absolutely primed.

The record will be gone by 1pm I suspect.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Evening thunder said:

Yeah, in some ways I've been slightly surprised that some northern locations didn't have higher records than they do(did), due to a long land track available in the right set up, but now they will... records going to be smashed by a huge margin.

what got very little press yesterday is that Newcastle ended up nearly 4C higher than modelled, largely due to the land track from the south - ironically despite the larger heat pool to the south today, there is some coastal modification showing so yes i think the record will go again, but not be yesterdays margins. somewhere in the southern parts of the north east like darlington or durham could really be in for a roasting though as the heat is funnelled from the vale of york...

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, pages said:

Rate of increase slowing? Of course it will if it's already in the mid 30s!

Numerous stations are likely to reach 40C more quickly than you're believing IMO.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, recklessabandon said:

what got very little press yesterday is that Newcastle ended up nearly 4C higher than modelled, largely due to the land track from the south - ironically despite the larger heat pool to the south today, there is some coastal modification showing so yes i think the record will go again, but not be yesterdays margins. somewhere in the southern parts of the north east like darlington or durham could really be in for a roasting though as the heat is funnelled from the vale of york...

Yesterday the Met Office was forecasting 40c today for Leeming, that's only about 25-30 miles due south of Darlington.

Posted
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

Rate of increase slowing? Of course it will if it's already in the mid 30s!

Numerous stations are likely to reach 40C more quickly than you're believing IMO.

Yeah Heathrow will have at least 2-3hrs of heating g before cloud cover probably draws too close and levels off the temps.

I'm probably 30 nins upwind from Heathrow and still no real evidence of frontal system yet.

• Like 1

Posted

Wow Peterborough really catching up after a slow start. Now 36C at 11am and again this is from the official weather station RAF Wittering.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, PaulWK1972 said:

Yesterday the Met Office was forecasting 40c today for Leeming, that's only about 25-30 miles due south of Darlington.

deffo ones to watch - NCL and MME both 4C higher than this time yesterday...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

36.3C at Kew Gardens at 11am.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

06z GFS if anything a little hotter today than the 00z. 40c across north Kent, London and running up to Cambridgeshire, beyond here 41c is possible up the A1 corridor up to and beyond the likes of Leeds/Wetherby.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted

Date record of 36.5c will be gone very soon.

Worth putting into context that the date record from July 19th 2006 is in itself in the list of top 10 hottest days ever.

Nearly being beaten at 11am.

Let that sink in.

• Like 3

Posted

Just gone past 30.0C here, hotter than this time yesterday and still sunny.

Pete

Posted
1 minute ago, PaulWK1972 said:

Which one is MME?

Tees-side Airport (sorry, old habits!)

i think Darlo might be a better bet for a NE record but dont think there are any MetO approved stations there? NCL is pulling its air ever so slightly from the SE, Teeside is due south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Charlwood is now leading, an astonishing 37.3C at 11am.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2