Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
On 11/09/2022 at 13:48, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Turns out Tennyson Monument has a lightning conductor! A really, subtle small one that I hadn't noticed until now! 

image.thumb.png.0e62f7f3bbee13cff361633233b03b60.png

Whether this meant I was any safer stood nearby in a CG-fest with a tripod, well, I'm not good enough at physics to know!

How tall is that monument? I'd guess 30 foot. Obviously it's on an exposed hill (482 ft) so it's likely much more prone to lightning. 

I wonder how they test the lightning conductor?⚡

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
1 hour ago, Sprites said:

How tall is that monument? I'd guess 30 foot. Obviously it's on an exposed hill (482 ft) so it's likely much more prone to lightning. 

I wonder how they test the lightning conductor?⚡

I don't know if it's true, but I'm sure I read somewhere that lightning conductors are more of a preventative measures against lightning, as they prevent electrical charge from building up in the immediate vicinity, helping any charge drain to earth

But I'm sure it must help if a structure is hit directly. 

On another note, plenty of interesting cloudscapes down here on the south coast...looks likely it will end up being just rain

• Like 6

Posted
16 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Anyone else seeing a ridiculously unstable-looking sky?

It’s been very plume looking all day, mid level sharp showers this morning and all manner of Altocumulus throughout.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

It’s been very plume looking all day, mid level sharp showers this morning and all manner of Altocumulus throughout.

Wouldn’t surprise me that a day with no forecasts delivers the goods. Two times previous I’ve seen skies like this before a significant electrical event. I’m only saying what my eyes are seeing 😉

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
32 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Wouldn’t surprise me that a day with no forecasts delivers the goods. Two times previous I’ve seen skies like this before a significant electrical event. I’m only saying what my eyes are seeing 😉

Agree that it has looked interesting today. Had some large convective raindrops on the windscreen not long ago, amongst all the yucky light blue on the radar 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Yes even I thought it looked quite unstable here in Wales today while out walking around the coast. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning
1 hour ago, Supacell said:

I'm hoping I see a storm later this week. I'm off to Croatia for a few days. Going to hire a car and explore the northern part of the Adriatic coast. Forecast showing thunderstorms every day I am there so hopefully.

Remember that the kerb is on the right hand side there 😉

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 hour ago, Supacell said:

I'm hoping I see a storm later this week. I'm off to Croatia for a few days. Going to hire a car and explore the northern part of the Adriatic coast. Forecast showing thunderstorms every day I am there so hopefully.

Ooooh!!! ,do keep us informed Karl,i will be keeping an eye on the so many cams out there,catch you in the European thread😉

10 minutes ago, Tamsin said:

sorry Karl i know it probably wasn't funny at the time but that made me chuckle🤣

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
6 hours ago, Tamsin said:

😂😂 Like it, thank you. I will try not to forget.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning
1 hour ago, emmett garland said:

Tropical night still in the south surely something has to go bang

I'm digging the positivity, bring it on x

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

It has in fact been a great year but I think it's had the worst overall spread of the areas of Storms with the same areas generally getting it compared to a decent spread in previous, less active years, that made the less active years appear more active.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

As of 19:25 this is the state of play.. 

I believe this morning's convective weather forecast mentioned that storms firing over northern France may inhibit chances for the far south of England/Channel area 

This might be the case looking at the current radar, I have still put the camera on charge though.. just in case 

Screenshot_20220913-193355.png

PXL_20220913_181330637.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
4 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

I believe this morning's convective weather forecast mentioned that storms firing over northern France may inhibit chances for the far south of England/Channel area 

This might be the case looking at the current radar, I have still put the camera on charge though.. just in case 

Yup 👍 that was my thoughts, they wouldn’t make it that far anyway. What would Le Havre be without their afternoon supercell anyway? 🤷 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.

I think as southern storm has mentioned storms may do well to reach here tonight but development around the Cherbourg peninsula currently is worth just keeping an eye on for the next few hours. If the stars start to align I shall be heading out to investigate so if we get lucky then best of luck to all that go out tonight, it's been a productive spell for all us storm heads here near the south coast!

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

Plenty of preliminary instability on your photo there, great shot! I'm not ruling out a possibility later,now feels rather close here in West Sussex.

• Like 3

Posted

Some developments around the channel Islands in the last half hour or so too so the trigger is there, just need that trigger to drift North a few miles!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!

Warm and humid here, not a breath of wind.... keeping close tabs on the radar...will we, won't we, later tonight???  🌩⚡

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Warm and humid here, not a breath of wind.... keeping close tabs on the radar...will we, won't we, later tonight???  🌩⚡

Good shout mate and exactly what I'm doing. A rather borderline situation here tonight but over the years I've seen setups like this evolve into some pretty decent storms unexpectedly. We'll wait and see.

• Like 2