Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The longer term GEM 12z mean doesn’t look either unsettled or settled, kind of in-between, there are some benign members but also some deeply unsettled ones in early December…and the faint possibility of an easterly?..which is what most of us want at the start of the meteorological winter!!!!…but failing that, at least something more seasonal /  settled with frost / fog following all the unsettled mild Atlantic gunk?! 😜☀️⛅️ 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas, Shark, Sea LifeCould contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Hurricane, Storm, Person

Edited by jon snow
  • Like 7

Posted

Tonight's ECM gets to what I thought we might see but the question then becomes whether it will be an MLB or HLB?

It's fair of course to argue that T+240 changes all the time - yes, it does - but the point about model watching is to spot trends and signals which move into the reliable which is for me T+96 to T+120.

What I'm not seeing currently is a raging Atlantic with LP crossing the British Isles into Scandinavia and beyond - indeed, getting an LP across the Meridian has been a struggle so far. The block to the "east" has been and remains substantial but there's currently an early taste of cold for Germany, Poland and Scandinavia with a small LP developing in the cold airflow and that energy extends west and draws ou trough further east and south east for the first part of the week.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder , Lightning , Snow , Blizzards

Does anyone have the link to the model output thread in the lead up to winter 2010? Been looking for nearly an hour now, would be very interesting/educational to see how things developed 

Mods . Please move to an appropriate thread if needed, didn’t know where to put this initially 

• Like 9

Posted
11 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

There are signs on the latest EPS that the heights over to our NE look to retrogress west towards Greenland.

570366239_eps_z500a_nhem_fh0-360(1).thumb.gif.8341b999be89ade0f00f6dd3081094ae.gifCould contain: Book, Publication, Comics, Person, Pattern, TextCould contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person

@blizzard81how uncanny is that! ,that you post the cfs showing retrogression from Scandi to Greeny😲

I was thinking exactly the same when you just posted those charts 😀

11 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Thanks for sharing, hope you don't mind I've zoomed in a bit and got a better view from our perspective 😀

Week 3Could contain: Plot, Chart, Graphics, Art Week 4Could contain: Plot, Chart, Graphics, Art, Person, Face, Head

They look even better that way up 😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

For late Nov/early December this is quite an extraordinary chart!!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Face, Person, Head

Can you explain why? Just looks dry and cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
9 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

For late Nov/early December this is quite an extraordinary chart!!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Face, Person, Head

Reminds me too much of last Dec when the UK high was a hinderence rather than a friend. It was a whisker away from producing widespread goods in the end so not the worst of garden paths to begin

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I hope that's Casper the friendly ghost😁

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Hurricane, StormCould contain: Person, Baby, Alien

jokes aside,TPV well over to the Asian side with huge azores hp cell to our SW,i hope this pushes north into Greenland on the later frames

edit: incoming from the north i would think from here.

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Modern Art, Nature, Accessories, Graphics

• Like 5

Posted
18 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Can you explain why? Just looks dry and cool.

I think what is unusual is the extent of abundant heights over whole of Europe extending into the atlantic. The reason being the position of the PV, main core sat well on the asian side, allowing heights to build in situ and more importantly back west and north in time.

1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Hurricane, StormCould contain: Person, Baby, Alien

jokes aside,TPV well over to the Asian side with huge azores hp cell to our SW,i hope this pushes north into Greenland on the later frames

edit: incoming from the north i would think from here.

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Modern Art, Nature, Accessories, Graphics

There's that date again 5 Dec, watch this space..

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Rayth said:

Does anyone have the link to the model output thread in the lead up to winter 2010? Been looking for nearly an hour now, would be very interesting/educational to see how things developed 

Mods . Please move to an appropriate thread if needed, didn’t know where to put this initially 

Unfortunately, I don't think it exists anymore. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Should we not be looking at the parallel which unless I am mistaken is taking over?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, johncam said:

Should we not be looking at the parallel which unless I am mistaken is taking over?

Not when it’s a rubbish FI we shouldn’t 👌😬

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

This week on Olivia chooses: 

A document going into Stratospheric Eddy Heat Flux events in an idealised model 

Luckily it's a document that can be summarised in only a couple paragraphs as it's almost entirely what I've said before.

As discussed before, the coupling between the troposphere and the stratosphere is one of the main forces in the Winter circulation. This is often shown by the Eddy Heat Fluxes on weather models. These denote the change from the zonal mean (Eddies). Positive values denote vertical wave movement. Reanalysis studies showed that accumulating strong Eddy Heat Flux(EHF) anomalies occur prior to a SSW.

Extreme stratospheric eddy events are shown by "extreme positive zonal-mean wave-1 meridional heat flux values" compared to January, February, March (JFM) values. JFM used because that's when wave-1 amplitudes are at their highest.

The results of the experiment confirmed that it was mainly tropospheric Eddie's where the wave interaction and therefore the main part of EHF vertical propagation occurs and that the Stratosphere isn't the main place of specifically wave-1 interaction.

So, we look to the future now and at  the wave amplitudes.

Wave number 1 looks to dominate just past the 1st of December on the boundary between the Troposphere and the Stratosphere and that should increase coupling going into mid December with the upper-Stratosphere.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

From the 17th November on the ECM, there really is no solution for now, it's a 50/50 but I'd like you to note, the weakening of the 10hPa values coming up in a few days wasn't really showing until the 10th/14th November runs, before that the trend was for it to continue to trend upwards with only a few ensembles showing down, much more are showing a downward trend this time. I think it's a case of too far away for now.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Shark, Sea Life, Fish, Animal

The EHF anomalies just beyond the first on the forecast part (far right) looking quite strongly positive and propagating vertically, not a bad position to be going into proper Winter in, definitely could be worse.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, Head

The NAM at the surface looks to be moving towards strongly negative for really the first time since we got into possible proper cold and snow territory. Beyond the surface and we have a short negative NAM in the Stratosphere and another one heading for the Stratosphere into early December,. Generally a negative NAM is better for cold here and I imagine in turn, warmer over the Arctic, so if we can get a strong negative NAM in the Stratosphere, that could be indicative of a possible future SSW but for now way too far off to tell and I am definitely not saying we're getting a SSW, it's still on the unlikely end of solutions.I think my 35% chance is probably a fairly accurate representation.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 6

Posted

Just looked through the GEFS at 192 hours to take a quick snapshot. Not really any indication of anything notably cold to be honest. Maybe looking at a period of calm weather with near normal temps. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I am kind of liking what shift has been taken by the op/control from the 12z to the 18z,...that is some shift back W/NW by them both...

gfs op 18z 240 vs 12z 252

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

control 18z 240 vs 12z 252.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Art, Nature, Graphics

this is a good step in the right direction to me.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
2 hours ago, Rayth said:

Hi Rayth, also been trying to look myself, but sadly no luck finding anything. Have a horrible feeling that the Models threads from around that period have probably vanished into some kind of hidden vortex of the Netweather universe. (Maybe a small chance Paul might know something).

Although not on the lead up to Winter 2010, John Holmes did a thread around December that year focussing on the daily output of the 12Z models:

https://community.netweather.tv/topic/66549-a-daily-look-at-the-12z-output/#comment-1981122

27 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Looking where both Casper’s hands are pointing, he’s seems to be showing the ideal ways for High Pressure to head in for cold (North-East or West). 👀

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1