Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapGFS day10

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramEC day10

Massive difference in the Atlantic.

GFS = energy southern arm

EC = energy in northern arm

If I were a betting man I'd say a UK high is a good bet ,which could introduce some frost fog etc..

Initially at least  obviously we want to see the High shift North.

I'm not convinced there isn't too much Atlantic  energy on EC to get that high North enough but anyway its day 10 so probably meaningless at this point..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 9

Posted

Great set of 00z charts. Oozing with potential. Great GFS, Parallel and Control and nothing wrong with how the ECM evolves, just another variation within the envelope. There are far worse possibilities from this set up, from which a cold spell is far from nailed on unfortunately.

This is the area I’m focusing on as a catalyst, seems to be reasonably good model consensus on it, fine details to follow…

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person, Art

• Like 4

Posted

Give me gfs all day long this morning!!i mentioned the 168 to 192 hour timeframe yesterday as that is where it all unfolds nicely and the same thing is shown on the gfs this morning!important thing is everything falls into place so much earlier on gfs compared to ukmo and ecm!!i aint interested in day 10 forget that!gimme something that crops up at 168 hours or earlier and i be paying attention!

Edited by sheikhy
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Give me gfs all day long this morning!!i mentioned the 168 to 192 hour timeframe yesterday as that is where it all unfolds nicely and the same thing is shown on the gfs this morning!important thing is everything falls into place so much earlier on gfs compared to ukmo and ecm!!i aint interested in day 10 forget that!gimme something that crops up at 168 hours or earlier and i be paying attention!

Yep GFS 00Z MUCH preferred option.

Let's see how EC clusters look...

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Yep GFS 00Z MUCH preferred option.

Let's see how EC clusters look...

It just looks so much smoother mate and the process actually starts at 144 hours which is exactly what we want!!i dont think it will happen as the gfs shows cos me and you know damn well that would be extremely luky for us!!!lol!!i actually think all models should go out to 168 hours max as thats well within the reliable in my opinion!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Decent ECM day 10 mean too.

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Graphics, Art, Nature

Not quite winter wonderland for the UK but the EC is in agreement with the GFS when it comes to shifting the PV towards Asia, if this doesn't happen then any blocking in the Atlantic/Greenland sector will just get flattened. 

Baby steps.. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I'm guessing DET was in cluster 1 Mike?

Det finishes at T240 so is not placed in the T264+ clusters.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS 0z ensembles trending much cooler with the mean starting to fall below the long term average. OP not really an outlier in this suite, many ensembles as well as the Control run under the -5c mark. I'd love if it evolved to this! 

Could contain: Chart

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frigid said:

GFS 0z ensembles trending much cooler with the mean starting to fall below the long term average. OP not really an outlier in this suite, many ensembles as well as the Control run under the -5c mark. I'd love if it evolved to this! 

Could contain: Chart

FI starts at day 8 according to that, let’s hope for more to drop below -6c as the next few runs trickle in. That’s probably the best set so far this month, that’s not saying much though. 

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all,The excitement beginning to build as I stated in my blog yesterday position and orientation of high pressure the key to every door regarding cold / very cold weather.I have said this before but hats off to Exeter and Glosea for predicting this pressure rise at the end of this month,time wise around 3 weeks to a month in advance some achievement.We now hope for winter to show it’s face with some of the white stuff thrown in the mix.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Oh here we go.....😂 Really wish sometimes we had just one model to look at! Ecm drops the idea of a Scandi high and gfs throws the solution up😂 How many times do we see this scenario. .? 

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting to look at Stockholm, as the high ridges on this side, low pressure moves in over Scandinavia, but as is expected there is a lot of spread after 6 days. I think it does have a good chance of happening though, it has a flow to it that doesn't jar too much. And as someone showed the composite for MJO phase fit this. And it can't just keep raining all the time

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Shark, Sea Life, Fish, Animal

• Like 1

Posted

Mmm 06z not going the scandi heights root... a tentative attempt at ridging to northwest that looks like it will be flattened...

Next? 

Gfs // more appealing to my eye with azores ridging over us and into scandi

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Mmm 06z not going the scandi heights root... a tentative attempt at ridging to northwest that looks like it will be flattened...

Next? 

That is a strong block. Not getting flattened yet.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person

Edited by Liam Burge
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Next? 

Maybe that set up always was a little early, and we should just be looking to what happens around day 10-12 , FI is definitely early but that might have something to do with the MJO changes. 
The last 2 runs are pretty similar by day 9 to be fair , apart from the PV being stronger on the 06z

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1