Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted

The ecm is cool at the end of the run, but not cold. Yes it’s full of potential, but to set expectations it won’t be out of the ordinary at all for early December. The bast thing is to shut off Atlantic. 
Temps and 10 meter wind direction Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

percipitation type

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation, Plant

snow depth end of run

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

there’s actually a negative deviation in snow to the east at the end of the run. More signs of the times perhaps

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Extended eps mean is flatter to our west 

The clusters show a 50/50 split between either flat or very amplified towards Greenland.

21nov-EPS12-264.thumb.png.08d8655a2b43828c8e65bdcac0400f28.png

The mobile Atlantic cluster was not really there this morning, but still, it seems to hint at an amplification attempt in that last frame IMO.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Not too excited by the ext(15 day) gefs/gps.Yes we develop a Scandi.trough but the High to the west not inclined to visit as far north as Greenland.

Time yet of course for the pattern to evolve.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Hmmm few back to earth posts this evening lol!!!!anyone seen the ec46 yet?!!please tell me its blocked😭

It's OK ..

No signal for height rises around Greenland though..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
9 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Hmmm few back to earth posts this evening lol!!!!anyone seen the ec46 yet?!!please tell me its blocked😭

A bit inconclusive but it doesn't look as good as it did a few runs back. Got to say I don't rate the EC46 but good that it's trying to push long range forecasting as a science

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

It must have been a while since one of these CPC plots came out not showing any negative height anomaly in the North Atlantic at all.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke PipeCould contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Well, you can’t win ‘em all, but sometimes it’s good to still be in with a shout, even if you have to wait well into the second half of the run for things to come good. The 12z GEFS mean shows the extent of the turnabout and the change in momentum is striking. The ECM looks to be playing the longer game for now, but it’s good to have the GFS on side. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Pattern, Accessories, Person, Outdoors, Fractal, Ornament

Not only is the Atlantic trough taken out of play altogether by day 11 on the mean anomaly chart, the mean itself is toying with an easterly counter, accompanying a formation of low heights cutting straight through the midfield of Europe. Plenty of chances for a good shot of cold by then in the T850 ensembles, from which we can draw much comfort, because as we know, in this game, it often only needs one or two chances like that to hit the target to make it truly memorable.

• Like 4

Posted

Had to revert to wetter for the first time in many years lol. Para looking good. T180. Op is much flatter so won't bother showing. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Had to revert to wetter for the first time in many years lol. Para looking good. T180. Op is much flatter so won't bother showing. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Thats exactly what i have done in last 20 mins!!not a fan of wetterzentrale i must say🤣!!gimme meteociel all day long!!

• Like 3

Posted

Para at day 10.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors

Just now, sheikhy said:

Thats exactly what i have done in last 20 mins!!not a fan of wetterzentrale i must say🤣!!gimme meteociel all day long!!

I know what you mean lol. Meteo is so much easier on the eye. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

The para looks awesome above!!

The Op seems to have thrown any blocking in the bin - strange but I imagine it’s a wobble!! 
Day 11 below

Could contain: Accessories, Pattern, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Modern Art, Art

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

*Some of this is just how I've read parts of the thread and I may have understood wrong, I do that often.

With the Nino state atmosphere and disconnect from the oceanic Nina and mixing that in with MJO phases 6 and 7 as lag correlations and in your head you will get a fairly good example of what the models are showing now. With amplifying  jet undulations stronger due to the less westerly zonal wind, warm air advection(WAA) occurs and so it is pushed up. This is a fairly good broad early setup for a decent -NAO in general. So there's no real reason to not believe the models at the moment but it's still too far away and it's only a general idea we've got at the moment. Phases 6 and 7 don't always bring a -NAO, they just have higher potential compared to the rest of the MJO phases.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Accessories, Pattern, PersonCould contain: Plot, Chart, Accessories, Pattern, Person

Almost all of this will have a lot to do with the strength of the westerly jet, the weaker the westerly jet in the Troposphere, the more WAA there is and the better the chance of a -NAO.

The evidence for a -NAO is fairly good, Nino AAM, MJO in the better phases, slightly weaker westerly winds in the troposphere than last time but everything may not coincide. We've seen this before but that doesn't mean we can't ramp it. Every time is a different time, the setup is convincing enough and the teleconnections are showing good signs so there's a lot to be hopeful for. Just don't get too worked up if it doesn't come off, we've got a long time left of potential widespread cold opportunities to go so it wouldn't be that bad.

Late into November and early December is probably going to be our best chance. Weaker Surface to Tropospheric zonal wind, MJO lag correlated with MJO phase 6/7 and the consistent Nino AAM.

Could contain: Plot, Chart
Could contain: Plot, Chart, CAD Diagram, Diagram

Looking beyond this and the EHF anomalies forecasted are looking a lot better, with strengthening vertical propagation in the mid term 🤞on both of the main models. Still too far away though.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Plot, Chart, Person

Think it's a case of too far away for the upcoming chance and too far away for any recognisable SSW chance so it's the waiting game for now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Meteociel is back up😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1