Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, biting winds, frigid temperatures and thunderstorms
1 hour ago, January Snowstorm said:

Remember folks over the last few years in particular once patterns establish they tend to repeat! Of course it's usually the Euro High that was doing that over recent times.

Could it be the year that the Greenland high repeats right in the middle of Winter. What a story this is evolving into!!

Just out of interest, does anybody know the last time we had a repeating Greenie high?

BTW Great read as always you guys, keep it up, it's a nice break from the grindstone! 😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
1 hour ago, chionomaniac said:

especially against the background of climate change warming

Another great post Edd,“this last bit of your post I quote because with climate change warming we get increased weather extremes, and maybe this cold could be extreme . I also think someone else alluded to this earlier. 

Edited by Fozfoster
  • Like 4

Posted
41 minutes ago, MJB said:

Not sure, but even if it did it proves nothing , the 46 was dreadful throughout last Winter , currently that's all I can go on.

Well in that case all we can go on is how it has done in modelling this in advance. The fact it was bad last year does not mean we should dismiss it this year

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
1 minute ago, Fozfoster said:

Another great post Edd,“this last bit of your post I quote because with climate warming we get increased weather extremes, and maybe this cold could be extreme 🙏. I also think someone else alluded to this earlier. 

It’s difficult to be sure, Foz. But it definitely one for another thread. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Geordiesnow said:

Still not going to get too carried away with the details, they will still change(for better or worse) but one thing I would like too see from the GFS 18Z run is not have that Iberian low coming into play and sod off basically like the 06Z run did. Also better ridging into Greenland and hopefully all that will end up it showing the UK getting into the significant cold air quicker than the 12Z run did. 

Still mindful with what the UKMO shown also, if the main northerly flow too far east and high pressure from Greenland has not established itself correctly, we could be left with a weak northerly flow therefore a struggle to get significant cold air. That is still my concern with this, I think the northerly in some form is nailed, it's just whether it will be potant enough. 

Good thinking... Although the outlook appears to be very good, those pesky shortwaves that form south of Greenland can sometimes put the mockers on anything!🤫

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Good thinking... Although the outlook appears to be very good, those pesky shortwaves that form south of Greenland can sometimes put the mockers on anything!🤫

Polar lows won't😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
23 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Don’t we want it slower to prevent it going west of us?

Totally agree TSNWK.

Don't want to be a Party Pooper but if the 12z ECM comes to fruition, we are in danger of developing  a West based negative NAO, in 8 Days time:

image.thumb.png.ff7fc4c6744a16d772e32d4f1ed06c7b.png

Coldies will be wanting the 12z GFS at the same time frame, to be correct:

image.thumb.png.f23cdcf3fa0106dad63bd4e4ea02350f.png

To maintain a colder, wintry flow, we will need those strong ""yellow" heights reaching down into the Central/North Atlantic, rather than tilting towards Canada. This will ensure the U.K. maintains an Arctic sourced flow, as against letting the Atlantic in through the back door, so to speak!!

Still a long way off of course but something to bear in mind, to avoid disappointment , if you're a Cold/Snow lover.

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Polar lows won't😉

I've only seen a few polar lows in my time, Si... I believe they don't have associated fronts, warm sectors? Over to JH!🤔

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!

Can't remember seeing a mean 2m temp of pretty much zero degrees, over such a long period of time in my neck of the woods, since I started model watching. Incredible really.

Some ridiculously cold members in there. GFS and GEM ensembles paint a similar picture ❄️❄️❄️

ens_image.png

• Like 6

Posted

We have to remember the fine margins involved with cold/snow and our water surrounded isle.

It’s always amusing to watch as one poster panic things are going too far NW whilst another is focusing on another chart worrying about it slipping SE 😂.

This is no standard toppler situation, thanks to the retrogression in play, for once we aren’t worried about the cold slipping east through the Low Countries and we’re back to mild mush. However a west based NAO is always a possibility. We can’t have it all ways, we won’t ever have that margin of error.

Anyway, bottom line, we have a great chance for a proper cold spells, reloads and a memorable winter folks ❄️🥶👍

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
13 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I've only seen a few polar lows in my time, Si... I don't believe they don't have associated fronts, warm sectors? Over to JH!🤔

I recall one in the November 2010 spell that pummeled the East Coast up here for hours.  I seem to remember John H looking at a screen grab I sent him and it looked like a sea horse shape funnily enough as I tracked it across the North sea.  Was immense the snowfall from it.

Edited by P-M
Spelling
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I've only seen a few polar lows in my time, Si... I believe they don't have associated fronts, warm sectors? Over to JH!🤔

I have read is heading to that they are of a polar origin sourced air that are fuelled by the warmer SST'S in the N atlantic,...great read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10

How it starts and how it ends (at D10 anyway).

it was like this 2 years ago if you remember.  Ridiculously synoptics but always at or beyond D10 and the breakdown in here when it all ended was  spectacular.  

yes it could easily go pear shaped but this one feels unflinching.

Just be aware though that for everyone clapping their hands in glee, there will be many millions for whom this will not mean good news.  Dazzling output, terrifying consequences at the moment for many.

E3637D58-432C-40F2-A52D-9DAD61121F68.png

BA78E2D6-ED93-42C2-9A5E-977DF87F090E.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Euro tonight is an upgrade in the medium term dropping the low at day 6. Mod ls tonight then generally upgrade the long run via shifting blocking back towards Scandinavia.

731612924_ECMOPEU12_144_2(1).thumb.png.3713657574baa03883d7df475a0f5184.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Currently micro-analyzing every minute detail by going on to the 3 hour increments mode on the 18z GFS... As if it somehow makes a difference lol!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

GEFS from the 12z are really very very good 👌

image.thumb.png.e3dce17497f1c18cd9f7b6c5cf7f148b.png

The ECM ensembles are pretty much their equal, 

image.thumb.png.3114fcdae323577d0d9c67ff67b07090.png

Let's see what the 18z has to say

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Day_9 said:

How it starts and how it ends (at D10 anyway).

it was like this 2 years ago if you remember.  Ridiculously synoptics but always at or beyond D10 and the breakdown in here when it all ended was  spectacular.  

yes it could easily go pear shaped but this one feels unflinching.

Just be aware though that for everyone clapping their hands in glee, there will be many millions for whom this will not mean good news.  Dazzling output, terrifying consequences at the moment for many.

E3637D58-432C-40F2-A52D-9DAD61121F68.png

BA78E2D6-ED93-42C2-9A5E-977DF87F090E.png

I know a Canadian and I know a Norwegian- they just get on with it. Temperatures of -10C is just normal fayre for them.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, LightningLover said:

Currently micro-analyzing every minute detail by going on to the 3 hour increments mode on the 18z GFS... As if it somehow makes a difference lol!

It can mate!!im doing the same thing especially with its fetish with the iberian low!

• Like 1