Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

12 year wait for a day as good as this.....12 years. Proper sub zero temps in my area, real seasonal feel, loved it. Sadly coming to a end by the weekend but will enjoy it while i can!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Not fully correct, that means that last time we had a similar low maximum was 2010 therfore comparing to then is completely warranted 🫡

No it doesn’t. The lowest temperatures in that spell were far lower than in this spell. We have just had few significant cold winter spells between the 2.

This cold spell is nowhere near the level that one was. Nor is it as prolonged or bringing anywhere near as much snow.

I don’t know why some try to hype up any cold spell to be historic. It’s noteworthy for being the coldest start to winter in a number of years but it’s not historic. Not a single all time record has come close to being threatened.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, markyo said:

12 year wait for a day as good as this.....12 years. Proper sub zero temps in my area, real seasonal feel, loved it. Sadly coming to a end by the weekend but will enjoy it while i can!

Dude!! I've enjoyed it! Yes freezing cold little me! It's been so seasonal and pretty! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
45 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

That is definite, just hope there is snow before the mild arrives, some models are hinting at snow for Sunday

I really dislike marginal systems, as for us, they never deliver a snow to rain event, it always just rain. 

Posted

Just for context..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Measurements  Could contain: Plot, Chart, Measurements, Page, Text

It may not be a Dec 2010, but we've not seen anything alike in 12 yrs. So used to Decembers being mild/wet, so this is a nice change.

Feb 2021 achieved a min of -23C, in Braemar of course 😁. With a few days left of cooling I wouldn't be surprised to see similar minima. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Yep, in Aberdeenshire.

Doesnt mean to say every area in the UK is experiencing colder temps than 2010.

If my memory serves me right, we had 2 to 3 weeks of severe cold right across the country end Nov/1st half Dec in 2010, with copious amounts of snow that lay for weeks, even in areas not normally seeing consecutive days with lying snow.

All i can end with is that the current cold spell aint no where near as severe, in terms of both cold and snow, for my locale. Far far away from it being another 2010.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

It's nothing like 2010 or 2009 up here, even 2020 was better in terms of snow depth and lying snow. Min temps are not too far away at -7c last night but those temps were reached about 15 times during Dec 2010.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Of course, it might be more accurate to compare Decembers 2010 and 2022 once the latter has ended.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

i  knowits deep fantasy  world  but  the gfs  is saying possible  white xmas for the north of the uk

Could contain: Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Land, Person, Atlas, Vegetation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
4 minutes ago, LRD said:

Totally agree - this time Wednesday we will (should) be far clearer

More like by next Wednesday (21st Dec).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 hour ago, ThunderHellCat said:

I used to be really skinny and needed 22-24°C all year round. I have since done weight training for muscle and can tell you, from what I've learned also on body building sites and experienced, muscle pound for pound makes you much warmer than fat does. If you want to feel warmer, gain some more muscle, it is always burning energy and creating body heat even when you do nothing! Certainly worked for me.

I went through the same thing.. Weight lifting doesn't only build your muscles it also builds your self esteem, especially if you push yourself to your limits. Being able to overcome a challenge – be it mental or physical – it reminds you that you have the power and ability to square up to an obstacle and tackle it. 

It strengthens you not just physically but mentally as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
12 minutes ago, Gowon said:

I went through the same thing.. Weight lifting doesn't only build your muscles it also builds your self esteem, especially if you push yourself to your limits. Being able to overcome a challenge – be it mental or physical – it reminds you that you have the power and ability to square up to an obstacle and tackle it. 

It strengthens you not just physically but mentally as well.

Get A Pa Pa John's. ..Always makes you feel happy and warm...😁

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
8 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Get A Pa Pa John's. ..Always makes you feel happy and warm...😁

A pizza?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

No it doesn’t. The lowest temperatures in that spell were far lower than in this spell. We have just had few significant cold winter spells between the 2.

This cold spell is nowhere near the level that one was. Nor is it as prolonged or bringing anywhere near as much snow.

I don’t know why some try to hype up any cold spell to be historic. It’s noteworthy for being the coldest start to winter in a number of years but it’s not historic. Not a single all time record has come close to being threatened.

This winter isn't over yet Matt.

Posted
7 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

This winter isn't over yet Matt.

But we’re talking about this spell and that December 2010 spell and how ridiculous it is to compare the 2. The rest of this winter is irrelevant as any other cold spells will be separate to this one.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
14 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

But we’re talking about this spell and that December 2010 spell and how ridiculous it is to compare the 2. The rest of this winter is irrelevant as any other cold spells will be separate to this one.

Yeah I get that, it was maybe posted by a younger member, or someone with less historical weather knowledge, I'm certainly looking forward to this winter Matt. 

Snow showers for my location Tuesday night to Thursday. 

Take care on the Roads Matt and anyone travelling over the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather lover and heat hater

We have been abit unlucky here in Studley, Warwickshire during this cold spell as Stratford just up the road has seen quite alot more snow. I think West and East Midlands in general have done poorly in comparison to most other places. Hopefully we get something more notable later this week. Still regardless it's been a decent cold spell considering we were on the back of such exceptional warmth, I think even the most optimistic coldie would have not excepted such a spell this early in the season and even if it all goes wrong from a cold perspective from this Sunday onwards this winter has already beaten 21/22 for me. 

Edited by WarwickshireLad
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Coldest since 2010. Not as cold as 2010. There is no comparison between that spell and this one.

Indeed. In December 2010 we had temperatures of -18C at southern weather stations like Benson, and I recall -20C being recorded in Topcliffe in North Yorkshire. Church Fenton not far from here fell to -17C. Even a few suburban London stations like Northolt fell to around -15C iirc. There is no comparison to this cold spell - there are no exceptionally low temperatures across the country, only in isolated weather stations in the Highlands. 

Even the Feb 2012 cold spell saw -16C at Holbeach in Lincolnshire, and minus teen temperatures across England. That was arguably a better cold spell for England than this one. 

Certainly isn’t close to being the coldest day here in 12 years in any case. It’s not even the coldest day in the past 3 years.  -1.1C was the high today, vs -2.6C on 31 January 2019 (also under freezing fog).

Edited by cheese

Posted
4 hours ago, ThunderHellCat said:

I used to be really skinny and needed 22-24°C all year round. I have since done weight training for muscle and can tell you, from what I've learned also on body building sites and experienced, muscle pound for pound makes you much warmer than fat does. If you want to feel warmer, gain some more muscle, it is always burning energy and creating body heat even when you do nothing! Certainly worked for me.

Not a gym fan sorry. I prefer walking.

I used to go to the gym years ago,  but lost interest.

It doesn’t make a difference to me either way. I always feel cold or need a jacket until the daytime temp reaches or exceeds 20c. 

Posted
4 hours ago, ThunderHellCat said:

But, what’s wrong with hot weather anyway? 

I enjoy feeling the warmth more than the cold. Yes, I do appreciate the fresher air during a cold spell, or even during our mild periods on winter, the air is still fresh feeling. But, I just prefer the long warmer days where I feel comfortable to walk around with just a t shirt and jeans or shorts without feeling cold. Daytime temps need to be 24c and above for that. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I wonder what these folks talk about ?. 

Could contain: Text, Page