Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
54 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Looking like a nice mild Christmas is on the cards. MOD thread will be in meltdown 😄

Not just Xmas - into lala land as well
Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
54 minutes ago, Don said:

I accept some did very well out of the cold spell and that's great!  However, for many it was very frustrating from a snow perspective.

Thats usually the case for the UK though...and this spell had snow in Scotland, Wales, and a swathe of Southern England so it was a wider area of the UK than just the SE.

The much fabled March 13 spell was nothing but cold rain here - truly awful, but for others it's up there with the best thats just how the cookie crumbles...

• Like 2

Posted

Personally - the upcoming battleground scenerio with big lows trying to come in makes me more excited than a ''boring'' HP based block with wintry showers on coasts! Each to their own though. 

All in all lets not forget there is forcing of Northerlies at play due to persistance f Greenland Heights - the Northerlies want to win out but so far can't. So even though the charts are showing milder runs, if it flips in our favour we could end up slap bang in the middle of the battleground and be in for an incredibly snowy fortnight ahead. Somewhere inbetween would still carry snow risks inbetween the thaws. My money is on something inbetween? 

Yes we aren't looking at straight northerlies (or Easterlies) *yet*- but the battleground lows may mean things are even better than that in terms of snowfall if things sit right. After the last spell don't forget the GFS had lows barrolling through long before the cold spell eventually finished. 

I'm sure we will all still have something to moan about though!! Hehe 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Personally - the upcoming battleground scenerio with big lows trying to come in makes me more excited than a ''boring'' HP based block with wintry showers on coasts! Each to their own though. 

All in all lets not forget there is forcing of Northerlies at play due to persistance f Greenland Heights - the Northerlies want to win out but so far can't.

That's because of that stupid high pressure to the south!  If it wasn't for that, the northerlies wouldn't have an issue and the outlook in the short term at least would be exciting!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Weatherman_93 said:

I posted once and it was removed so just a browser now 😄

good! don't need trolling in there

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some dangerous weather here in the Czech Republic as the cold spell slowly breaks down with snow cover diminishing. Had some sporadic freezing rain which has turned surfaces into an ice rink, interesting, but also unpleasantly slippery. Parts of the SE of the country are expected to get 3+cm of rime. Am quite looking forward to the forecast 11°C at Christmas, to be honest!

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Some dangerous weather here in the Czech Republic as the cold spell slowly breaks down with snow cover diminishing. Had some sporadic freezing rain which has turned surfaces into an ice rink, interesting, but also unpleasantly slippery. Parts of the SE of the country are expected to get 3+cm of rime. Am quite looking forward to the forecast 11°C at Christmas, to be honest!

Just like good old blighty then!! 😉

• Like 1

Posted

Because the Met Office talked last cold spell down as average day tempretures 5c by day Oc by night.They came under fire from the power companies for being so inaccurate .So now they respond with a over the top snowy outlook for anywhere in the UK.

Could contain: Page, Text

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
5 hours ago, Don said:

I accept some did very well out of the cold spell and that's great!  However, for many it was very frustrating from a snow perspective.

Largely the case I'm afraid when it comes to snow and the UK, amazing how small this Island is and the variations we get from one location to another, we only seem to be singing from a similar hymn sheet (by and large when it comes to snowfall) when we get a major SSW.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Yesterday was horrible here. Black ice everywhere. Even in winter boots it was treacherous and I saw a couple of people end up on their behinds.

This afternoon was better (I managed to do a big Christmas shop) but I daren't venture out tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Amazing to think this time last week the models were showing only a short milder blip starting from Sunday and it was likely to turn colder again from today and in the build up to Xmas day.Well they got the first bit right with it turning milder from Sunday but sadly the second bit didn’t quite work out from a cold point of view.Been 10-11 degrees here last 3 days and looks to be in the 10-12 degree range for next 4 days possibly turning a little cooler by Monday but by no means cold.It’s amazing how we continually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory weather wise in search of cold weather in the U.K. and it now seems we will most likely have to wait until end of first week of January before we may see some wintery stuff.On a side note it really has been a cold start to winter in Scandinavia this year,been cold up there since last week of November and a winter like ones they had in the 1970s and 80s.

Posted

Anyone got a precipitation chart for the next 10 days or so? What’s the outlook looking like - wetter than average for this period I assume? 

Parts of the SW and I think Wales have already had a few issues with flooding. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Hotspur62 said:

Amazing to think this time last week the models were showing only a short milder blip starting from Sunday and it was likely to turn colder again from today and in the build up to Xmas day.Well they got the first bit right with it turning milder from Sunday but sadly the second bit didn’t quite work out from a cold point of view.Been 10-11 degrees here last 3 days and looks to be in the 10-12 degree range for next 4 days possibly turning a little cooler by Monday but by no means cold.It’s amazing how we continually snatch defeat from the jaws of victory weather wise in search of cold weather in the U.K. and it now seems we will most likely have to wait until end of first week of January before we may see some wintery stuff.On a side note it really has been a cold start to winter in Scandinavia this year,been cold up there since last week of November and a winter like ones they had in the 1970s and 80s.

I know, very typical that we appear to have gone from a milder blip and now likely to be plunged into a prolonged milder spell! 🙄

Edited by Don

Be awful for us coldies if last weeks cold was the only memorable part of this seasons winter? But you'll have to agree its certainly possible, and in fact is the most likely outcome.

January looks windy and mild with cooler dry periods from time to time.

February, my guess is the Vortex will return to its home bringing with it our more usual zonal weather, could be very wet.

March is anyone's guess, but who wants cold then anyhow. I'll prefer an early spring over late cold anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 hours ago, Wynn D Woo said:

Thats usually the case for the UK though...and this spell had snow in Scotland, Wales, and a swathe of Southern England so it was a wider area of the UK than just the SE.

The much fabled March 13 spell was nothing but cold rain here - truly awful, but for others it's up there with the best thats just how the cookie crumbles...

The March 2013 cold spell delivered snow to a much, much wider area though. Same with the January 2013 cold spell. There’s really no comparison. 

Jan 2013: 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Ice, Scenery

Dec 2022: 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Shark, Sea Life, Fish, Animal

In terms of snow coverage, the Dec 2022 cold spell was worse than Jan 2021 too: 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Outer Space, Astronomy, Hurricane, Storm

Most recent colder spells (even unremarkable ones like January 2021) have been much better in terms of widespread snow. This month’s cold spell was really quite poor in that regard, with none of those classic satellite images showing 80-90% of the UK covered in snow.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Well, I'm not going to bemoan too much as a coldie we've had a decent 1 week cold spell which exceeded expectations and occurred at a good time of year.

Nevertheless it's disappointing to see a mild and wet outlook with strong Euro heights as once we're in such pattern it takes weeks to get out of the rut. 

Let's face it extreme cold in the US rarely spells good news for European snow lovers.

For that reason I'm going to give the weather watching a break for now whilst we go through a boring spell. Still, at least we'll be using less heating fuel!

Merry Christmas all 🎄

Edited by Bradley in Kent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

January 2013 gave barely a dusting of snow here, but it was rain that was the major issue, it caused bad flooding.

More snow here last week than anything in 2013.

February 2015 was better, and that trumped what fell in December 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I did get a bit of snow in Jan 2013, although that was where I used to live so was probably different here. It wasn't a lot though compared to many other parts of the country. So because of that Jan 2013 was better than last week for me. 

Saying that February 2015 was the opposite, it was better here than where I was at the time where we didn't really see much snow yet areas near the coast saw something a bit more substantial. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Thank you frozen pipes breaking! Now we all have no water ...!

_128088910_gettyimages-1241384057.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Southern Water says 20,000 properties faced problems with their water supply in the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.

So, that's it for cold weather this winter then?  From the models predicting a return to cold weather after a mild blip we're now doomed to a lost fortnight at least of "changeable" (Atlantic dross) weather and mild temps.  Typical.  Well, see you next winter I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 hours ago, keithlucky said:

Because the Met Office talked last cold spell down as average day tempretures 5c by day Oc by night.They came under fire from the power companies for being so inaccurate .So now they respond with a over the top snowy outlook for anywhere in the UK.

Could contain: Page, Text

To be fair that sounds about right to me.