Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion. 3/12/2022. How cold will it get?

Message added by Paul,

Winter has arrived and the model thread is very busy, as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted

Sees the ECM this morning, looks at the massive area of snowfall that's forecast.

I'm glad that the Kernow Shield is working and in fine condition lol.

Need that low to go south!

Edited by Skullzrulerz
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
28 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

New NOAA outlook has dropped the chance of a tropical system forming from 50% to 30%, however the end of their outlook also suggests a possible rapid strengthening of the low over cold waters.

Showers and thunderstorms have increased since last evening near a large non-tropical area of low pressure located over the central subtropical Atlantic about 850 miles east-southeast of Bermuda. However, the system remains embedded within a frontal zone, which is expected to become more pronounced later today as the low begins to move east-northeastward at 20 to 25 mph toward colder waters and interact with a mid-latitude trough. Therefore, while the system could show some subtropical characteristics today, its chances to fully transition to a subtropical or tropical cyclone appear to be decreasing. Nevertheless, significant non-tropical development of this low is expected during the next couple of day

It's quite a beast.. and pulling lots of tropical air in.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Blackboard, Hurricane

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

The GFS is determined to try and build a Scandi HP once heights to the NW fade away. It's a signal we need to take seriously- the GFS is excellent at picking out trends like this

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Diagram

I’m sure that at some point we’ll see a rise in heights from the south which coincides with an amplified upstream ridge/trough and a scandi ridge will be the consequence.  Gfs seems keen on it week 2 and that could be a consequence of its handling of the Atlantic profile in a weeks time. 

the extended modelling late week 2 is certainly struggling to find a route forward on this side of the pond …..

• Like 3

Posted

Currently snowing here in Dundee Scotland with a good dusting on all surfaces. looking at the charts everyone has a chance of seeing snow next week especially eastern coasts, (even south coast has a chance) keep the faith guys ⛄️ 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Judging by EPS & other modelling ECM was at the extreme end for development of a small low between Iceland & Norway during Tue-Wed. 

That feature becoming more than an open wave made it easier for the low to advance further north while disrupting. A spurious addition or an important detail? Only further runs can really tell us.

The majority vote remains for the front to hardly even reach the UK, so I’d advise viewing the ECM 00z with some skepticism at this time.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
9 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

It’s showing the depths of snow that has fallen ion days 5 -7.  It’s not unreasonable to anticipate the worlds most powerful supercomputer / model may be able to predict at that range is it?  If you don’t like people discussing models / snow charts within a week range in December I’d suggest you are in the wrong place 😂

I’m afraid that, yes it’s unreasonable to assume that, but perhaps it comes down to experience 😉

Snow depths for next Sunday, 18th cannot be predicted by ANY computer.  We can’t even work out if and where it will snow in 2 days time, let alone 10.  

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, starstream said:

I hope @nick sussex can master this, no winter in this thread is complete without Sir Nicks crayons coming out and some 80’s movie references. 

Bless you . I normally become more theatrical and go onto my movie references if things start going pearshaped . So take it as a positive that I haven’t wheeled out those yet .

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
24 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's quite a beast.. and pulling lots of tropical air in.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Blackboard, Hurricane

The moisture feed coming up from the south has weakened a bit as the general trend and its become more stretched with no real Convective centre forecast so it may act a little more like a normal low pressure system it's just where it is that's messing with everything a lot.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!

NWP output this morning says “lower for longer”. A stark contrast to the global macro (financial) models that form my day job…..

Longevity is being bought this morning, over precipitation. A decent trade imho.

• Like 6

Posted

The ICON 06 hrs run by T108 hrs shows stronger blocking to the north . This will likely result further into its evolution as a more suppressed low track into the UK .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 4

Posted

Icon ends at the key moment but looks a lot better, much more forcing on that low, feel like from this position we almost want the low to move east and bring in a brisk NE

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
2 hours ago, Ali1977 said:

Yep, looks good to me 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Absolute peach! ❄️ ⛄️ 

We have these historic snow events of years gone by where this exact set up delivers as shown above, they are a rare thing these days and in my 20 years model watching I don’t think one has come to fruition.

Hopefully we can nail this one, long way to go yet mind 🙂

• Like 3