Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion. 3/12/2022. How cold will it get?

Message added by Paul,

Winter has arrived and the model thread is very busy, as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted

9 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

A bit of a worrying trend in FI from GFS so far today. 

Let’s see what the evening brings!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

The rate at which the polar vortex in the Arctic goes from zero to 100 after day 10 (low res) is a bit suspicious to put it lightly.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

The rate at whi

The rate at which the polar vortex in the Arctic goes from zero to 100 after day 10 (low res) is a bit suspicious to put it lightly.

The AO and NAO are now trending away from negative though. I guess we'll see.

Posted
1 minute ago, joggs said:

The AO and NAO are now trending away from negative though. I guess we'll see.

They are reflections of the pressure around the Arctic and North Atlantic the models are forecasting though I think? They are not a separate thing.

• Like 4

Posted

Putting aside the fact that the warm up supposedly starts from D10+ (proper FI territory), in the far more reliable time-frame that same Op keeps Dorset in sub -5 850s for 9 consecutive days 😯. That is quite something at any point of any winter down here.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

For the record though, the trend is there and I think there is a fair bit of substance to back up a 'warm up' in about 10 days' time. Thereafter (and assuming it does actually go a lot milder in the first place) it could go either way really.

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

It could also be the fact that most models revert back to climatology normal beyond a 10 day period...and when they're struggling for a final solution,again they will most likely revert back to the most common type of conditions for the UK.

This is why I have gr8 scepticism for Long Range Models..your always gonna have that bias factored in,plus the the fact that they will also take into account the Warming World!

A pretty decent set of 0s from Mogreps...many a cold cluster North to South...6s should be with us within the next hour.

Could contain: Text, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Text

The latest 06z continues the theme, no huge scatter like the Gefs shows

• Like 8

Posted

In the reliable its more of the same, the low pressure to the SW now looks unlikely to have any influence and instead we maintain the cold airflow from the north for the foreseeable. This looks like being a notably cold spell for December but at least for now not very snowy.

Changes are all beyond the reliable, GFS has played around with scandi highs recently, but now shows heights building to the SE aided by warm air advection through the UK, we then see a mild southerly and the atlantic breaks through - it often does this when it sees a signal for the atlantic to reawaken, but the changes that take place in a very short timescale look far too progressive to me. My hunch is we will see heights build in or to the east and these will hold back the atlantic some what, whether we see trough disruption/ slider or one of those battleine set ups with the atlantic inching through remains to be seen. 

The longer term GFS 6Z run is very poor for those wanting a cold run in to christmas - we've not has one since 2010! All have been mild or exceptionally mild, seems a regular thing. 

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

The latest 06z continues the theme, no huge scatter like the Gefs shows

Scatter on GEFS starts after the MOGREPS time period (from 17th) though ? 

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

GFS sends the low into the Med and keeps the cold locked in. Mainly dry so far ....Good for the Alps though!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water

Fantastic charts keeps the cold locked in,,dry yes but there will always be surprises somewhere for some snowfall ❄️

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Small area of vorticity picked up on Sunday on the ec 06z op and control over England 

they handle it’s track differently so for now, a waiting game for the next couple runs. 

the Thames estuary and Kent/se Essex could well see something form in the s North Sea on Sunday pm too - this has been a recurring feature so probably more to it 

the eps control 06z makes less of the Norwegian shortwave at day 5/6 so introduces what would be a cleaner northeaster flow 

What direction is the wind on sunday i hope its north of east...

Posted

Mondays 46 day run did suggest temps back to near normal after the 19. But further out it still shows above normal pressure around Greenland and into the new year it has higher than normal surface over Scandi. So perhaps early days of picking up another major chance of cold. Remember 2010, after the first wave of extreme cold end of November, a brief warm up and then wham back into it with a vengeance. I don't know what is causing this, if I did I promise I'd write in plain english, but I do have a feeling after the breakdown we might get a reload as a consequence of whatever is going on now influencing the base state, if you follow

New Year pressure Anomaly, note new chart will be out later today for this period. Also second chart shows the anomaly, i.e. the pressure over or under normal for time of year at 500hpa. I'd always be happy to see that forecast any given winter, even if some weeks away.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram, Shark, Sea Life, Fish

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Biggin said:

What direction is the wind on sunday i hope its north of east...

Very light and variable depending on these small upper features meandering about 

the mean direction across the day is likely to be ne but the first half of Sunday could even see a southerly for a time depending on track of said system 

• Like 3