Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
16 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Wouldn't be surprised but I'm going to look for milder stuff soon. Rarely does a cold spell pack much of a punch as we go into April so I don't see the point. Had snow cover here a couple of times in April 2021 but despite -8 to -10c uppers in the sun it did not feel bitter cold really and the snow quickly disappered by 10am and that was the coldest April since 1989. I actually had to take my coat off as I was getting too warm! Nights were certainly cold though and below freezing. For long lasting cold with a bigger impact it's going to be at the earliest late this year before it can happen again as it won't be facing an increasingly stronger sun like we are going to do. I think we've turned a corner now.

Generally agree, mid March marks the turning point when chances of snow sticking through the day and maxima holding in the low single digits begins to ebb away quickly, though 2013 showed even late March can see such conditions.

Snow certainly can and often falls in April, but any cover quickly goes in the strong sunshine, and then relying on cloud cover, but often snow is April comes thanks to northerly - arctic airstreams which tend to be associated with sudden clearances and bright sunshine.

Next week brings spring equinox and then the clocks going forward, a major change in feel about to take place, similiar to that change when the clocks go back.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
21 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Wouldn't be surprised but I'm going to look for milder stuff soon. Rarely does a cold spell pack much of a punch as we go into April so I don't see the point. Had snow cover here a couple of times in April 2021 but despite -8 to -10c uppers in the sun it did not feel bitter cold really and the snow quickly disappered by 10am and that was the coldest April since 1989. I actually had to take my coat off as I was getting too warm! Nights were certainly cold though and below freezing. For long lasting cold with a bigger impact it's going to be at the earliest late this year before it can happen again as it won't be facing an increasingly stronger sun like we are going to do. I think we've turned a corner now.

I actually find it really annoying that the best snowfall potential tends to come when the days are longer.

If we could get the hemispheric cold pooling of Late January/Early February in late November/December then we’d be laughing.

I’d really prefer seasons whereby winter peaks in December/January, March becomes warm, summer peaks in June and autumn properly sets in September.

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I actually find it really annoying that the best snowfall potential tends to come when the days are longer.

If we could get the hemispheric cold pooling of Late January/Early February in late November/December then we’d be laughing.

I’d really prefer seasons whereby winter peaks in December/January, March becomes warm, summer peaks in June and autumn properly sets in September.

Yes the lag effect is frustrating, the shortest and longest days daylight wise are rarely conversely the coldest and warmest - and therefore we can't take advantage of maximum seasonal affect.

Our coldest synoptics often occur tail end of winter and well into and through Spring.. ie.. northerlies and easterlies, our mildest wettest synoptics often occur late autumn/early winter.

Our warmest synoptics usually come second half of summer long past the solstice.

Not many years fit the bill you describe, 1995 closest match i guess, very cold start to winter, March not so the case that was cold and wet, but summer yes, late June brought sudden heat - sustained through summer, then a switch in Sept to cold and wet.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Keep an eye on Friday as it could be the first diurnally driven convective day of the season. Quite a bit of cape for this time of year although last few runs have downgraded slightly.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

My thoughts are starting to turn away from wintry weather now. There is plenty of time for snow to arise still and I'll not turn it down, but by this time of year, time of day is crucial for seeing settling snow and any snow that does settle disappears rapidly in the daytime.

It has been a reasonable winter/first part of spring in this area for snow with several days recorded with lying snow and snow falling on several days. Nothing spectacular depth wise, but reasonable for this location. Several frosts recorded too. I'd give it 7/10.

Edited by severe snowstorm
  • Like 5

Posted

Today's rain barely warrants an umbrella so I'm not entirely sure on the need for the yellow warning. 4mm here since midnight came quite early, so some surfaces are now quite dry. Maybe some rain still to come this morning, but nothing that'll cause any problems. 

• Like 3

Posted

I thought that. Less than 5mm in total here, and looking at the 24 hour radar sequence, nowhere looks like it got a real soaking. Maybe it's an abundance of caution due to the strike at the Met yesterday.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Awful day again not be doing much today outside 

• Like 3

Posted

Yes I thought today's Yellow rain weather warning seemed a bit over cautious.  It's been mostly dry (grey slate cloudy) so far but clouds are starting to energise and it does go to 3pm.  So maybe it will be a damp afternoon but nothing noteworthy.  The ground is quite sodden at the moment, and it will probably stay that way to month's end.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Met Office yet again have the eggs on their faces because the warning has been cancelled here 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
19 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah, it's not the same getting snowfall when it's light in the morning/evening.....Much prefer opening the windows early morning when it's still dark, and there's snow on the ground. 

• Like 4

Posted

Reading the reports above, seems Cumbria fayred worse today rainfall wise. Very heavy rain overnight and not a break all day, it did ease somewhat through the afternoon. Rivers and streams swollen, large puddles everywhere.. not had such conditions since early-mid Jan, ground quickly soaked again after February dryness. Overall a very poor day, mid March and still in winter mode, temps struggled as well up to 9 degrees max.

Mid March still feels very much winter to me.. couple of weeks time and that will have changed. Based on these timescales its why I feel late Jan/early Feb is mid winter.. and when I read posts in mid Feb saying winter's over - its why I find them very irratating.. this is not the case for north half of the UK at all.

Outlook remains very unsettled and non-springlike.. at this time of year many have had enough of 4 and half months of gloomy dark wet skies.. those clocks going forward and the first proper pang of warmth of sunshine cannot come soon enough!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
6 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

10c now thought I was warm 

It’s mild out and effortlessly drizzly in fact the likes of early November without the fireworks 

• Like 4

Posted

Opened the back door 5.50am and the birds are twitting enthusiastically, heralding the new day and enjoying the quite mild start, 9°C.  So different to last Fridays winter wonderland.  Partly cloudy at the moment,airport METAR suggesting something a bit thundery later.

Could contain: Page, Text

• Like 7

Posted

Feels like the first authentic Spring morning early doors so far, sun's up earlier now, hardly a breeze and quite mild (a good mild, not the 'Darren Bett' at it will be...one), birds twittering away.  Possibly some heavy showers breaking out later, so best to do outdoor early.  Yep complete contrast to this time last Friday.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
51 minutes ago, dodge said:

Feels like the first authentic Spring morning early doors so far, sun's up earlier now, hardly a breeze and quite mild (a good mild, not the 'Darren Bett' at it will be...one), birds twittering away.  Possibly some heavy showers breaking out later, so best to do outdoor early.  Yep complete contrast to this time last Friday.

When I see he's doing the weather, I often mute the TV....

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Sweet Jesus the sun is out. For the first time in what feels like an eternity 11C, no wind, bright, warm sunshine. Now that’s lovely. 

Had the dreaded sickness bug that’s been going round, really nasty, possibly the nastiest one I’ve had to date. Just starting to come back round and feel myself again, and this weather helps. Shame it’ll probably be the last time until Wednesday next week that we see the sun, we really do live in a poor climate. 

• Like 2

Posted

Strange day yesterday. Left S Cheshire at 9am expecting rain but stayed dry. Eventually ended up in N Yorkshire expecting it to be dry and it rained steadily for a while, Journey back in the evening was also wet until back in Cheshire. 

Today is quite a contrast, sunny and v mild so far, but with the possibility of some showery activity later.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Brighter day today

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

When I walked into Leyland earlier I was sweating little bit. Its got that muggy feel to it. Hopefully a T-storm will break out soon. 

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted

Couple of heavy showers are already springing up in our region according to the radar. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

First strike near Preston. Had quite a bit of insolation today so should be quite good this afternoon.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2