Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Torrential rain here now, absolutely lashing it down.

• Like 7

Posted

Eased off here and the sun making an appearance 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

It eased off about half hour ago and even looked a touched brighter out west but it’s back again, heavy as ever.

looking at the radar it’s backfilling as it hits the upslopes around Winter Hill and unfortunately that set up can take some shifting.

if only this was all part of a cold sector in January although there would have been a million reasons why it failed to plaster us with two feet of heavy snow.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Still dry here and glimpses of the sun, amazing!

If you want to get the BBQ out we’ll be down in a couple hours👍

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Moist. 
Parts of Salwick are an Island. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
30 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It eased off about half hour ago and even looked a touched brighter out west but it’s back again, heavy as ever.

looking at the radar it’s backfilling as it hits the upslopes around Winter Hill and unfortunately that set up can take some shifting.

if only this was all part of a cold sector in January although there would have been a million reasons why it failed to plaster us with two feet of heavy snow.

Tried to get over to Rawtenstall for a trip on the ELR. AA has the M6 as a car park. Then again it’s difficult getting out of our fenlands. 

• Like 9

Posted

Eased off for a bit but back with a vengeance again and plenty more showing to my west.

local rain gauges well above 50mm in the last 24 hours now, a wet day at any time of year but in mid summer 🤬

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Some torrential showers just after lunchtime dumped around 8mm of rain, but it's dried up again here, the showers/rain having moved away to the East/North.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, PennineMark said:

Grim. Again. Yesterday was the wettest day of the year here with a touch over 34mm. Today could potentially go even higher as the first 12 hours have produced just short of 30mm. Cool too as we've struggled to 16c. Horrendous for a mid summer weekend.

Yeah, today's rain has now ousted yesterday's 2023 record for daily rainfall. 35mm and counting. I can't remember the last time that happened over 2 consecutive days, if its happened at all, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't in the middle of summer. We could get to 80mm over a July weekend. Terrible for those who depend on decent weather in the summer months to make a living. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Only 6 mm of rain today so far after 24 yesterday but still light to moderate steady rain so not a very usable day.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
17 minutes ago, PennineMark said:

Yeah, today's rain has now ousted yesterday's 2023 record for daily rainfall. 35mm and counting. I can't remember the last time that happened over 2 consecutive days, if its happened at all, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't in the middle of summer. We could get to 80mm over a July weekend. Terrible for those who depend on decent weather in the summer months to make a living. 

Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness 😁 but yes in all seriousness it's been ruddy awful today. Thankfully though it shouldn't be as bad through most of this week but by no means dry. Not sure exactly how much has fell today here as I've not got a rain gauge nor a netweather radar subscription at the moment to see rainfall accumulation but surely it's in excess of 20mm. I think your patch can be definitely wetter than here. Rochdale area usually the wettest town in Gtr Manchester. Probably snowiest too.

• Like 7

Posted
20 minutes ago, PennineMark said:

Steady rather than heavy here now.  However, given its been raining most of the last 36 hours, flooding in prone places along the Irwell and other South Pennine rivers, would seem likely now.

Really is as bad as it gets in mid-summer.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
2 hours ago, Rain Lady said:

Dry!  Not here!  Picked up 57.9 mm at 10 BST this morning for previous 24 hrs.   Thumped down in night and steady all morning.  This month so far 214.1 mm.  50yr July average is 110.3 mm.  Max for July 266.0 mm (was in 2020 -- our record wet year)    Just about dry now but low cloud and misty .  Veg garden sodden.

Could contain:

Go easy on the vodka 😉😃

• Like 7

Posted
26 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness 😁 but yes in all seriousness it's been ruddy awful today. Thankfully though it shouldn't be as bad through most of this week but by no means dry. Not sure exactly how much has fell today here as I've not got a rain gauge nor a netweather radar subscription at the moment to see rainfall accumulation but surely it's in excess of 20mm. I think your patch can be definitely wetter than here. Rochdale area usually the wettest town in Gtr Manchester. Probably snowiest too.

Yeah this NE Greater Manchester stretch from north of Rochdale through Littleborough, into Saddleworth and as far as Mossley probably are the wettest areas. Although we do pretty well for snow, I reckon areas of Oldham at similar altitude do better. 

• Like 7

Posted
29 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Go easy on the vodka 😉😃

31 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Go easy on the vodka 😉😃

Free drinks all round. Cheer up everyone,

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Drizzle and 16.5C. Where’s this washout? Front isn’t sinking south at all, should’ve been over us by now. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, PennineMark said:

Would be surprised if it didn't happen during the Julys of 2007, 2008, 2010 or 2012.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
32 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Drizzle and 16.5C. Where’s this washout? Front isn’t sinking south at all, should’ve been over us by now. 

Will head back south this evening and clear the very S of our region early doors tomorrow. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
39 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

dreading tomorrow, looks like absolute washout, front way north all night, but right over me tomorrow

• Like 7

Posted

Still raining but drizzle beers at the ready after tea of course 😊

• Like 6