Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Discourse is dead indeed. A slight tangent but it's on topic in regards to this...

Covid surely exposed this to a degree enough to sway any fence sitters, no? In that, virtually every single thing that the "conspiracy theorists" said was a potential idea to be considered and at the time dismissed as tin-foil hat nonsense, later came out - all pretty reliably - as being the truth after all. From the Government no less.

Worse of all, it was all brushed under the carpet in terms of it being previously denied. 

Examples being:

- COVID was made/leaked from a lab

- Vaccines never stopped, or reduced, transmission (they just reduced symptom severity...like every other comparable vaccine)

- Certain super rich individuals were aware of an impending 'pandemic' (Bill Gates for instance) before it actually happened

- Young people were getting heart attacks from the vaccine, especially if they took multiple i.e. the 'boosters'

- Between the ages of 0 and 28, more people actually died from the VACCINE than they did from COVID itself. 

- It had nothing to do with bats or bat soup (lol)

- The advise from WHO and other officials was sheer nonsense (for example mask off when sat down, mask on when standing up...)

- The figures from the UK Government on death rates / stats from COVID were quite literally fabricated, as it was "anyone dying within 30 days of having COVID" So for instance, the cousin of my old colleague who I used to work with whose face was shown on BBC as someone under 20 dying from COVID. She was a 19 year old at uni who committed suicide, but had had COVID a few weeks prior. But of course she's on the stats and used as a scapegoat. The Government has since admitted all this farce. 

Apologies for the rant folks...this stuff irks me constantly because so many people think the mass media and governments do not actively mislead the public for their own gain. Please, don't be so naive. Healthy skepticism always.

I guess it's its being a 'crock of sheet' explains why no one with half a brain believes any of it! Oops, it's time my 5G nano trackers were updated! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

I guess it's its being a 'crock of sheet' explains why no one with half a brain believes any of it! Oops, it's time my 5G nano trackers were updated! 😁

I think people need to be aware of the conspiracy theorists spouting stuff off the likes of 'GB News'. A visual TV channel closely aligned to the discourse espoused by The Sun 'newspaper'. Any way back to the weather. It's  s***e.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
9 hours ago, Alderc said:

Pretty sure no one has died here this week, however I did spot a cross between a whale and a lobster yesterday by the pool. The poor animal did look in a little bit of distress although it’s likely it became intoxicated the previous evening. 

Hmm, may be no one on holiday, however I've heard of people fainting, due to heat over in South Europe/Greece, even on our international news. However you'll find as everywhere where this type of heat happens, some older locals would have unfortunately ended up in hospital at the very least.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

Not quite up there with 2012 july yet but creeping a bit closer..

14.2c coldest july day since 2015..

Posted
8 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

We all know how long these ‘blips’ last, once the Atlantic gets going…maybe August will be better

Bad weather tomorrow re wind, in my neck of the woods is a blip, even today has been mostly dry warm some cloud some sun. Had a little light rain this morning.

Posted
7 hours ago, B87 said:

Hopefully we will be compensated for this July with a roasting August and a warm September, and October averaging 20c for the first time.

No thanks re October, don't need it that warm on average, that's dovers July average.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
17 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

I think there can be 2 extremes on either side. 

There are those that believe in theories without evidence such as reptillians & body doubles, flat earth, space being fake etc (For what it's worth, I believe none of these lol)

Then there are those that believe every single word uttered from anyone in authority without question.

I just like to keep an open mind about things and use critical thinking, looking at data from both sides etc. I don't see anything wrong with this but it is often met with insults or degrading comments or being grouped with the more extreme thinking groups like Flat Earthers.

I think everyone's opinion deserves to be heard without them worrying about what others may think (Even if they believe odd stuff like Elvis & Michael Jackson being still alive lol) and sometimes they can be completely off the mark but many times, data has supported what was once labelled a conspiracy.

Healthy debates can be fun and I'm glad I still live in a world with free speech.

Anyway, yes, it has gone way off topic and yes the weather is still rubbish!

• Like 4

Posted
59 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Not sure what all the fuss is about the killer heatwave in Southern Europe. Looks pretty normal to me for mid afternoon in high summer. Drama. 

Could contain:

Warmth the entirety of southern central eastern europe. And then there is the UK. Rain lashed. Gales. Cool. November. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
39 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Believes any of what? The points I listed have literally been admitted by the Government now, after being previously denied as conspiracy. It's not subjective.

The fact that my comment was deleted/reported immediately instead of sparking a bit of genuine, unbiased speak volumes, as is the fact that you're pulling out the classic "ooh 5G nanobots" nonsense as a response  😆

I expected as much, but heyho. Most people just aren't willing for open debate/discussion re anything that veers outside of what they deem to be acceptable discourse. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 4

Posted

Bringing the conversation back into the here and now, we've just had 27mm of rain (poor sods up in the RIAT Fairford, not too far from here), I'm surprised it's not been called off given the ongoing bad weather into tomorrow. 

If it stops in the next half hour I'm going to take advantage of the softer ground and start digging out a hole for my new nature pond. Water butts are now full to the brim ready to fill it, thanks to this solid bit of rain we've had. What a difference to last summer. I enjoyed last summer, but am also enjoying this one. We can't expect to have Mediterranean summers year in and year out, we'll always be next to a big pond, no matter how much the climate changes, we're still going to get some gear off the Atlantic, so best make the most of it 👌

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Please folks. This is the Summer 2023 chat thread and not the place to discuss other subjects. So could we please get the discussions back on topic or I'm afraid they will start disappearing. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I get that subjectivity and preference is real, but if you're someone who genuinely finds 20-23c (with mostly cloudy conditions and a brisk breeze too!) uncomfortable, as in, you struggle to sleep and are sweating lots during the day then you might have some sort of medical complaint which hampers your body's ability to maintain homeostasis. That is very mild, benign conditions.

This isn't me dismissing individual preference, but the reality is, if I was a heat/sun hater overall, I'd be thanking my lucky stars I was born in / live in the UK and not, well, 95% of the rest of the world. It's a pretty sweet deal for anyone who enjoys mild to cool, mostly dull weather.

That's exactly why I don't like it to hot, my body finds it hard to keep cool, I feel ill, and can't stop sweating. Even today through humidity I'm having some issues, and it's not that hot. This July, bear in mind I'm in the southeast corner, and we've been mostly dry, and quite sunny mostly, although patchy at times, has been perfect.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

We can't expect to have Mediterranean summers year in and year out, we'll always be next to a big pond, no matter how much the climate changes, we're still going to get some gear off the Atlantic, so best make the most of it 👌

Yep, spot on👍

• Like 2

Posted

Hopefully we do a 2020 and get hot in the last week! If not, worst July possibly since at least 2012 or maybe the 21st century as a whole. Even 2012 has a heatwave around 23 July. Can’t remember July 2007 in detail.

Posted
27 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Hmm, may be no one on holiday, however I've heard of people fainting, due to heat over in South Europe/Greece, even on our international news. However you'll find as everywhere where this type of heat happens, some older locals would have unfortunately ended up in hospital at the very least.

I'm finding it difficult to believe tourists are fainting in Greece because of the heat unless they're visiting Athens or places inland for many days. The majority of Islands are way cooler. 

Posted
5 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Dont have to go far to see the sunshine today - just across the channel!

anim_vis_fr.gif

Wasn't that bad here once this morning's light rain moved north. Had to go to the school, to pick up my son, he'd done something to his foot, the sun was out, and it felt very warm. Clouding over again now though.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

I'm finding it difficult to believe tourists are fainting in Greece because of the heat unless they're visiting Athens or places inland for many days. The majority of Islands are way cooler. 

Yeah. It's Greece. It gets hot.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Please folks. This is the Summer 2023 chat thread and not the place to discuss other subjects. So could we please get the discussions back on topic or I'm afraid they will start disappearing. Thank you.

Apologies, I replied before getting this far up the thread. 

To write something on topic... How far back do we have to go to find a comparably poor summer month? Here I think no further than July 2021.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
11 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Wasn't that bad here once this morning's light rain moved north. Had to go to the school, to pick up my son, he'd done something to his foot, the sun was out, and it felt very warm. Clouding over again now though.

Seems like the far south east have been just about clinging to the dry and warmer weather today.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

The Aussie chap off Test Match Special, Jim Maxwell was saying the other day that Sydney has more rain than Manchester. The difference is the rain comes in a short burst for a couple of days before the weather gets nice again. UK must be the only climate in the world where low after low after low on a jet stream can become a locked in pattern for six weeks. Looking at the entire northern hemisphere summer is there anywhere worse than what we are currently experiencing? Even Iceland is enjoying some 'useable ' weather.

As previously stated in debate, the west coast of the US has actually been found to even cloudier in parts. It's simply part of being in the temperate lattitudes to the west of a continent, we are a relatively wet and mild island group. 

21 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Hopefully we do a 2020 and get hot in the last week! If not, worst July possibly since at least 2012 or maybe the 21st century as a whole. Even 2012 has a heatwave around 23 July. Can’t remember July 2007 in detail.

July 07 lacked any redeeming qualities for heat lovers. Or to put it another way, it was so bad that even the cool but drier August is praised. 

For me of course i'm very much enjoying this summer. A tad too humid previously but i'll accept that since this summer has actually delivered storms and the backdrop from now until the end hopefully being a lack of meaningful warmth (indeed GFS is currently forecasting 14C maximum here next Friday).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

The tv reporter in Rome yesterday was making out it was so hot there. When I checked it was 33C about 1C above average. Really don’t get the dramatisation. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, rwtwm said:

Apologies, I replied before getting this far up the thread. 

To write something on topic... How far back do we have to go to find a comparably poor summer month? Here I think no further than July 2021.

July 21 was drier here, this one has been much more showery. We are not on par with the quasi-stationary fronts of 07/11/12 but we are certainly challenging 2020 and 2015.

We need 15.7C and 106mm to be the coolest and wettest since 2012.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Absolutely insane. Over 40mm here today and we're not even done! Makes it the wettest day since 2011.

• Insightful 1