Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing Fog, Clear blue skies and sunny (cold/warm), snow
13 minutes ago, IPredictASnowStorm said:

Are country jinxed are weather by saying about climate change that we are gonna be so hot now we’re getting tempatures under average cause climate change doesn’t exist trying to scare us 

Do you think climate change means that we will never experience synotpics that give us cooler weather? Do you not find it significant that what is considered "cooler weather" now is still 1-2 degrees warmer on average than what would have been the case 30 years ago? We reached 40 degrees celcius last year which has never happened in 400 years of weather records. I am 40 years old and temperatures in the high 30s would have been unthinkable 30 years ago let alone 40 degrees. Places in Europe reaches 47 degrees this summer which are temperatures that would never have occurred outside of the deserts of the middle east or North Africa 30 years ago. What will it take to convince you? When we reach 50 degrees in London?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Just grabbed lunch, big group of school kids on a trip in central London from Spain or Italy judging by their appearance. Every single one in either a hoodie or a coat. Facially they looked, in a single word, miserable. Lol. Not surprised. It's grim out there for city exploring. Especially if you're coming from high 20s / low 30s and sunny...

Should've just gone to Budapest or Munich guys!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
15 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Just grabbed lunch, big group of school kids on a trip in central London from Spain or Italy judging by their appearance. Every single one in either a hoodie or a coat. Facially they looked, in a single word, miserable. Lol. Not surprised. It's grim out there for city exploring. Especially if you're coming from high 20s / low 30s and sunny...

Should've just gone to Budapest or Munich guys!

Munich forecast looks a bit dodgy to be fair, high teens and rainy much of the time 

Could contain:

Most of Germany today is around 15C with rain, so the crap weather has well and truly spread across Europe. 
E9255A4E-730F-4E6B-9DAA-638E83BE38C1.thumb.jpeg.f80fe4083f9110c1de8fe7eda64c9d16.jpeg

It’s a pretty cloudy day up here but it’s dry and 22C so not awful. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

Munich forecast looks a bit dodgy to be fair…

Could contain:

I went to Munich in early February 2017 and the weather was lovely. Around -5C at night and 8-10C by day but completely clear and sunny.

Looking at it's climate its a slightly more "seasonal" version of the south-east of England. Its slightly cooler in winter and warmer in summer. Rainfall is similar in the winter half but wetter in summer though this is mainly due to thunderstorms. Its similar on sunshine levels to the south of England so I guess that would be the only negative:

640px-Stadtbild_M%C3%BCnchen.jpg
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, reef said:

I went to Munich in early February 2017 and the weather was lovely. Around -5C at night and 8-10C by day but completely clear and sunny.

Looking at it's climate its a slightly more "seasonal" version of the south-east of England. Its slightly cooler in winter and warmer in summer. Rainfall is similar in the winter half but wetter in summer though this is mainly due to thunderstorms. Its similar on sunshine levels to the south of England so I guess that would be the only negative:

640px-Stadtbild_M%C3%BCnchen.jpg
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

That’s the thing about Europe - it’s a very dull continent away from the Mediterranean. Those sunshine statistics for Munich are still pretty bad. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Atleastitwillbemild said:

Do you think climate change means that we will never experience synotpics that give us cooler weather? Do you not find it significant that what is considered "cooler weather" now is still 1-2 degrees warmer on average than what would have been the case 30 years ago? We reached 40 degrees celcius last year which has never happened in 400 years of weather records. I am 40 years old and temperatures in the high 30s would have been unthinkable 30 years ago let alone 40 degrees. Places in Europe reaches 47 degrees this summer which are temperatures that would never have occurred outside of the deserts of the middle east or North Africa 30 years ago. What will it take to convince you? When we reach 50 degrees in London?

We can’t even reach 20 let alone 50 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Sitting here in green Park London on my lunch break and my fingers are going numb, a first for me in July. Yesterday was like November, today like an early spring day. Atrocious month overall and year really. 1 tiny bolt of lightning all year, another season drifts past as a complete dud on many fronts. Zzzz

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, chris888 said:

well any hopes of a drier start to August are fading the gfs 00z run looking absolutely horrendous

Damn "background signals". Just not been playing ball this Summer😉. Allegedly.

Maybe they dont apply to our Independent set of isles. We go against the narrative(s)😁. Chortle, chortle😁

Posted
15 hours ago, Azazel said:

Rain absolutely lashing down outside.

Honestly, this coming dark season is going to be horrible for my mental health and I’m sure many other’s. 

It’s hard to explain but that nice spell in June feels like a distant fever dream or a moment of  brief lucidity sandwiched in between months of endless cold, damp and grey that stretches right back to last August. It doesn’t feel like it was real.

I genuinely have to keep reminding myself it’s actually July as mentally I’m in Winter mode and it’s a really jarring sudden realisation that leaves me a bit taken aback. I feel like I’ve never really emerged from my winter slumber at the end of last winter because spring didn’t happen - the winter lasted right out until the end of May - then a brief window of nice weather and straight into autumn. It’s like mentally I never really had a chance to switch.

It feels horrible knowing that summer is gone before it even really got going and I may very well have to wait until next May - 10 months from now - for another period of warm settled weather. 

grim.

Yeah the long range forecasts can get in the sea after this years performance tbh. 

This is exactly how I feel. I'm in winter mode right now. Never recovered mentally. I'm in the pits. I really am.

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, Meat n Two Veg said:

Never have occured outside of North Africa 30 years ago?.Greece was the European record holder for 44 years at 48c.That occured in 1977.Which by my maths,is 46 years ago.Ireland hasn't reached 40c yet.Its record is 33c.Reached in 1887.Climate change is a cult,and any distention is not tolerated.Plenty of scientists who think it's a con btw .

Scientific consensus that human emissions are causing warming is at like 99.9%... Something like 28 out of 88,000 papers are somewhat or entirely skeptical. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2966 

or 100% reported here https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0270467619886266

Are you one of the people that seem to have nothing better to do than clog up the Met Office twitter feed?

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, Meat n Two Veg said:

Never have occured outside of North Africa 30 years ago?.Greece was the European record holder for 44 years at 48c.That occured in 1977.Which by my maths,is 46 years ago.Ireland hasn't reached 40c yet.Its record is 33c.Reached in 1887.Climate change is a cult,and any distention is not tolerated.Plenty of scientists who think it's a con btw .

But now it happens every year, not just once in umpteen years. The simple fact that it's happened before is irrelevant?

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, sunny_vale said:

Is it just me or has July felt like the longest month ever? I can't believe we still have 4 days of it after this. I guess time flies and all that . . .

It has!!! It's the new January! Which actually went quick for me this year

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

It always does for me, my least favourite month by far, hate hate it.

Oh come on now! This year is perfect for you! So there is no way it can be draggin this year!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Oh come on now! This year is perfect for you! So there is no way it can be draggin this year!!

Its the light mornings and evenings, weather is great its just the light levels, hate it.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

Its the light mornings and evenings, weather is great its just the light levels, hate it.

I thought you hated the heat, not the light? Or is it both?
Arrived back in London for my work block to be greeted by a lovely late July day of slate grey skies, cool wind and 21°C. Yawn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

I have never seen such a huge contrast between June and July. Not only is this the first time in decades that June has been warmer than July - it's been over 2 degrees warmer here which is completely insane! In fact over 3 degrees warmer if we're talking average highs. This summer's unfortunately gone about the same as winter 22/23 did for winter lovers which many predicted would happen back in June.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
37 minutes ago, James1979 said:

Sitting here in green Park London on my lunch break and my fingers are going numb, a first for me in July. Yesterday was like November, today like an early spring day. Atrocious month overall and year really. 1 tiny bolt of lightning all year, another season drifts past as a complete dud on many fronts. Zzzz

Here it's cloudy with very light rain in the air, the type you can feel on your skin, but doesn't wet anything, but it too warm for a coat jumper or long sleeves, just been to town and back in a t-shirt, nice and comfortable. Really weird weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

This is the least I've been checking this website since summer 2020. Zero interest in the weather right now. Nothing interesting about cloud, suppressed temps and constant drizzle. I hate to moan, I stayed optimistic all through the spring but to get this afterwards is such a slap in the face!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, cheese said:

That’s the thing about Europe - it’s a very dull continent away from the Mediterranean. Those sunshine statistics for Munich are still pretty bad. 

Much of Europe is dull, unfortunately. Winter in Central Europe is even duller than in the UK. Summer is sunnier (but not vastly so). The key nuances/differences for me that make the Central European climate more enjoyable are sunnier and warmer summers with many more thunderstorms (those often severe), then multiple snowfalls in winter are pretty much guaranteed with ice days more common. Freezing fog and hoar frosts also more likely, which I like. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Just read the netweather summer forecast.  July is the exact opposite of what actually happened.  Whats the point?

Why almost every time when I read the Model Output Discussion does someone say "The models are struggling at the moment".... Aren't they always at some point in the timeline?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
1 hour ago, Meat n Two Veg said:

Never have occured outside of North Africa 30 years ago?.Greece was the European record holder for 44 years at 48c.That occured in 1977.Which by my maths,is 46 years ago. Ireland hasn't reached 40c yet. Its record is 33c.Reached in 1887.Climate change is a cult,and any distention is not tolerated.Plenty of scientists who think it's a con btw .

Not forgetting Wales and Scotland 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm,sunny,cheerful!.
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

This is exactly how I feel. I'm in winter mode right now. Never recovered mentally. I'm in the pits. I really am.

I agree on that.Making it through each,dark dismal winter is an achievement.Is to much to expect some summer?.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
53 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I thought you hated the heat, not the light? Or is it both?
Arrived back in London for my work block to be greeted by a lovely late July day of slate grey skies, cool wind and 21°C. Yawn

Its the light mornings and light evenings....much prefer the darker mornings and darker evenings, find the light very very tiring.