Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
3 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

It's insane to me that in a country at this latitude, in the height of summer, it can be 17-21c, windy and cloudy for weeks on end. That kind of weather obviously needs a jumper unless you're some kind of fur covered animal. How can this be the peak of "warmth"... I just don't get it. Not asking for 40c but having a grey sheet constantly over my head is really depressing. It's like living under a low brightness camera filter.

Before you say "move somewhere else then!!!!!!!!" - I just turned 18. Give me the money and maybe I will!

At 18 you should be out enjoying yourself at the weekend 😉

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Hot spells and more especially warmer than average spells happen a LOT more frequently than a cold and snowy spell in winter, that's why.

I don't think the most hardened of summer haters would begrudge a hot spell in summer if they got their end of the bargain in winter.

You seem to be obsessed with comparing everything to winter.  This is the summer chat thread. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
9 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

I was out last night lol, I'm actually waiting for a coach right now. Forgive me for wanting to use a website related to my interests to pass the time 🙂

• Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

It's insane to me that in a country at this latitude, in the height of summer, it can be 17-21c, windy and cloudy for weeks on end. That kind of weather obviously needs a jumper unless you're some kind of fur covered animal. How can this be the peak of "warmth"... I just don't get it. Not asking for 40c but having a grey sheet constantly over my head is really depressing. It's like living under a low brightness camera filter.

Before you say "move somewhere else then!!!!!!!!" - I just turned 18. Give me the money and maybe I will!

I haven't needed a jumper since the weather warmed up in June, yes we had cloudy days, rainy days, showery days, strange showery days, but they've all been warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
Just now, alexisj9 said:

I haven't needed a jumper since the weather warmed up in June, yes we had cloudy days, rainy days, showery days, strange showery days, but they've all been warm.

The last time I went out without at least carrying a jumper was July 7th 😭

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

I've been wearing one of those really thin lightweight fabric jackets, not sure what they're called specially? Pretty much just t-shirt thickness with a hood and zipper. Even with that on it's often been too warm for it, just wear it to block the breeze.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

A Jumper?  I can't remember the last time I wore one of those, perhaps during winter 2009/10 or December 2010?!  Defo not since!

Posted

Can anyone on here remember July 1965? That seems to have been an absolute disaster of a summer month around these parts- Shawbury had a mean max of 17.4C, 119mm of rain and 104 hours of sunshine. Not as dull as 2010 or as wet as 2007, 2012 and potentially 2023, but that combination of cold, wet and dull surpasses any July, including 1988 (which had a very poor 17.8 C, 102mm- less than 2023, and a surprising 154 hours, nearly twice what 2010 had). I don't think I've seen it mentioned in Historic Weather or anywhere else on here. Was it as bad across the country?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Can anyone on here remember July 1965? That seems to have been an absolute disaster of a summer month around these parts- Shawbury had a mean max of 17.4C, 119mm of rain and 104 hours of sunshine. Not as dull as 2010 or as wet as 2007, 2012 and potentially 2023, but that combination of cold, wet and dull surpasses any July, including 1988 (which had a very poor 17.8 C, 102mm- less than 2023, and a surprising 154 hours, nearly twice what 2010 had). I don't think I've seen it mentioned in Historic Weather or anywhere else on here. Was it as bad across the country?

Real bad in London as well. Mean max of 19.3C, rain 86mm and 129.9 sun hours🥶 1980 was last year with a mean max of <20C in July.

IMG_3493.thumb.png.0daab31a4711b075f4a5edd017c8853e.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, plymsunshine said:

Not going to say that, but whilst we’ve not had the best of summer weather recently, 17-21c is hardly freezing and does not really require a jumper!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Don said:

17-21c is hardly freezing and does not really require a jumper!

Subjective! Have worn a hoodie in 24c before. 17-21 really can feel cold if it's windy and cloudy, and especially so if it's wet as well.

But my main problem is the sunshine. 59 hours in the last three weeks which would be poor for January. A real shame for the amount of daylight we get. Relentless cloud presents what should be such a beautiful country in such a depressing light.

Praying this summer will start feeling like summer again and I can go back to posting every day smiling about how uplifting the weather has been, as I was for most of May and June 🙂 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

Subjective! Have worn a hoodie in 24c before. 17-21 really can feel cold if it's windy and cloudy, and especially so if it's wet as well.

But my main problem is the sunshine. 59 hours in the last three weeks which would be poor for January. A real shame for the amount of daylight we get. Relentless cloud presents what should be such a beautiful country in such a depressing light.

Praying this summer will start feeling like summer again and I can go back to posting every day smiling about how uplifting the weather has been, as I was for most of May and June 🙂 

Yeah I’ve had to pop a hoodie on a few times this July, have felt cold. The last week has felt warmer, at least

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A very, uh, ‘changeable’ 😂 week to come, looking at the fax charts. Will we actually get any proper weather, or will it just be more drizzle blowing in the wind? Look like typical November charts, not sure you could fit any more low pressure or fronts on the first image. Summer is very much on hold, sadly.

CB748569-CBA1-4A35-94E4-C4409B40D183.gif

D1937A7D-C919-4530-9B11-18C184E96076.gif

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Watnall recorded just 86.9hrs of sunshine with 3 ground frosts. Got above 21.1°C  (70°F) just on 3 days.

Edgbaston's highest temperature for that month was just  21.1°C

Liverpool Airport:  mean max: 17.7°C  mean min: 11.4°C Sunshine: 126hrs

Keele Uni:  sunshine 106hrs   didn't reach 15.6°C (60°F) on 8 days.

Derby: 113.5hrs of sunshine 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

You know it's been a poor month when even a fairly decent day like yesterday didn't even record over 50% sunshine! 7.1 hours for Shoebury and a pitiful 5.6 for Heathrow. I was out in London yesterday for a mates birthday and it felt like we had at least 9 or 10 hours or so of sunshine. That's another example of statistics contradicting your own experience I guess.

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

A very, uh, ‘changeable’ 😂 week to come, looking at the fax charts. Will we actually get any proper weather, or will it just be more drizzle blowing in the wind? Look like typical November charts, not sure you could fit any more low pressure or fronts on the first image. Summer is very much on hold, sadly.

CB748569-CBA1-4A35-94E4-C4409B40D183.gif

D1937A7D-C919-4530-9B11-18C184E96076.gif

In November the sun wouldn’t burn through between fronts. In July it does.

Between fronts in my location the last 2 afternoons have been lovely. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Don said:

Not going to say that, but whilst we’ve not had the best of summer weather recently, 17-21c is hardly freezing and does not really require a jumper!

17-21 definitely requires a jumper for me

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For me, I need a degree of energy throughout the day to maintain comfort wearing one layer or no layers. A couple of days ago the temperature hadn’t changed by about 7 pm but my body felt cold, and I had to put on a couple of layers to feel comfortable. Low humidity also adds to a sense of being cold. This morning I’m quite happy to be wearing next to nothing I. 17C but I doubt I can keep that up the whole day.

it’s raining here BTY 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Dont get yer hopes up for more settled warmer weather for w/c 7 Aug, as i've just booked a hotel on The English Riviera for a few days😁

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

In November the sun wouldn’t burn through between fronts. In July it does.

Between fronts in my location the last 2 afternoons have been lovely. 

Last few days have been ok, that’s true.  Not looking good for the upcoming week but might be some surprises 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

I really had high hopes for today when I woke up to a beautiful, blue sky and sunshine!  That has sadly disappeared to be replaced with yet more greyness and rain - the wind is picking up again too!  So fed up with it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Rain way ahead of schedule. Looks like today is yet another write off. 😤

Edit: on the plus side, the GFS is now singing from a similar sheet to the CFS re better weather in august. Just need to it to come forward a bit.

Edited by MP-R
  • Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

What a patronising statement lol.

Not every 18 goes out, or wants to go out. 

29 minutes ago, sarahng said:

I really had high hopes for today when I woke up to a beautiful, blue sky and sunshine!  That has sadly disappeared to be replaced with yet more greyness and rain - the wind is picking up again too!  So fed up with it!

Yes it’s very poor. 

1 hour ago, Azazel said:

17-21 definitely requires a jumper for me

Same. 

• Like 2