Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
Just now, markyo said:

You have to be kidding me? Many would call those numbers very acceptable!....Many folk haven't had anything like that further North.

Why would any summer lovers enjoy cool, wet and close to record cloudy conditions in the middle of summer?

19 minutes ago, NorthSeaCloud said:

Them temps are very similar to July 2018 here.

July 2018 here.

Screenshot_20230804_193430_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.8c93af195ff2e22730dd90380a133b85.jpg

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, B87 said:

Why would any summer lovers enjoy cool, wet and close to record cloudy conditions in the middle of summer?

There is a lot who have had far far worse Summer conditions than yourself, and i mean vastly worse, by those figures you are lucky this year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

You have to be kidding me? Many would call those numbers very acceptable!....Many folk haven't had anything like that further North.

Well the average high here this July was around 20.6C, which would be considered very good in say Glasgow, but it still wasn’t a good month by our standards. It’s all about what you’re used to. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
55 minutes ago, NorthSeaCloud said:

Them temps are very similar to July 2018 here.

July 2018 was very sunny in Newcastle though. July 2023 in London was very dull.

If it’s consistently 21-22C in London in July, it’s probably going to be grey and unsettled as well. If it’s consistently 21-22C in Newcastle in July, it’s probably sunny and dry. 

It seems odd to me that we’re trying to tell someone they shouldn’t be unhappy with a cool & dull July just because it was better than somewhere else. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

It hasn't rained once today in my location and yet both the Met Office and BBC both had 50-80% rainfall chance for the whole day!

Weather technology... Good grief!

It's nice to go a whole day without rain in this long wet spell but the forecasts have gone right down the pan this year!

Wouldn't trust them to forecast what month & day of the year it is tomorrow at this rate 😂

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)

Highs around 21-24C don't look bad in the stats, but thats only if you assume that it's dry and mostly or at least partly sunny the whole day. A 22C day with wall to wall sunshine is going to feel warm and summery. But if its a cloudy day ,where it only briefly reaches 22C before a rain front comes in and then the rest of the day is 17C and drizzle...then that's not a great summer day.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

It hasn't rained once today in my location and yet both the Met Office and BBC both had 50-80% rainfall chance for the whole day!

It's nice to go a whole day without rain in this long wet spell but the forecasts have gone right down the pan this year!

Wouldn't trust them to forecast what month & day of the year it is tomorrow at this rate 😂

One look at radar and you would have seen where the cz set up. Most who didn't get hit, probably had a good view of the cloud bases from a distance, if it wasn't cloudy. I wouldn't know. They got the forecast right, but didn't streamline it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

Wednesday was forecast to be a particularly unsettled day in this neck of the woods, but it turned out to be quite pleasant instead and the sun was actually out. ⛅

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

Am I the only one to notice there's been a theme with all summer months, in that warmth seems to return during the 2nd week. Look at June (9-10th), July (7-8th), August (10-11th). 

Quite an interesting quirk with this summer. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Wednesday was forecast to be a particularly unsettled day in this neck of the woods, but it turned out to be quite pleasant instead and the sun was actually out. ⛅

Yep the cz set up further east than thought, it did get us here, but it was just showers with hot sun inbetween, was quite a humid day, still is now. Sorry mixed up the days lol, was thinking today. Wednesday, wasn't to bad here either we did have less wind, and it was warm and sunny apart from when the front came over.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

As probably expected the settled warm spell downgrading, this Tues looking iffy, dry/warmer window Wed/Thurs could even be a balmy 23 degrees here, then the usual autumnal filth from Friday, pants weekend 12th

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Chucking it down and 13°C, fun 🤩 

• Like 1

Posted

13c, light rain, heavy stuff has passed through. Not particularly windy. 

When is the Storm meant to arrive?

• Thanks 1

Posted

It’s now been nearly a month since we last reached 25C here on the 8th July. Since then only 2days have reached the average temp of 22.4C, the 9th July 22.7C and 20th July 23.9C. Looking at the models it’s likely only Thursday will reach 25C now in the first half of the month and that’s not even a given. Four days into August and we’ve only managed 7.5hrs of sun and the weathers been so bad for long in a burning Atlantic the UK has managed to develop the only ‘cooler pool’ of ssts in the entire Atlantic. Get me outta here please.

IMG_6064.thumb.jpeg.f89e49fe4758e11ffed7ab9fe9c38155.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

WOW 55mm overnight in dublin currently 10 degrees ,northeast gales picking up. This is absolutely shocking and our wettest August day I think since hurricane Charley .This last 5 weeks i hope I never ever see the likes in any month let alone high summer

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 03/08/2023 at 12:13, TwisterGirl81 said:

Don't even get me started on councils/governments 😛  you only have to look at the state of pathways and roads with weeds and rubbish due to services being cut to save money and many public bins taken away (more profits for whomever?)  I'm all for wildflower patches for bee's but at 42 I'm old enough to remember when towns were looked after a lot more than they are now....I feel like it gave councils an excuse to do less and save on employing staff to do it.....Why don't they have people who have to do community service do it?  I would do it myself if It wasn't such a huge job but in any case I do mine and my neighboiurs pathway and plan on planting several scented rose bushes in the public flower bed at the beginning of the road I live in as it's barely upkept by the council.  Exeter is a pretty city but has been so let down by the council and looks pretty shabby in places due to this.   Weeds have gone wild in the weather we've had the past 5 weeks.

This is what happens when you have two decades of austerity and local authority budgets have been cut to the bone, certain things get neglected.

When it comes to beautification, grass verges and flower tubs around towns and cities sounds like something that could be taken up by local volunteer groups if local authorities don't have the money/can't be bothered.

In any case, the UK is now a country where there seems to be little pride in doing a good job, and people will often do the absolute minimum they can get away with to get the job done, look at pothole repairs for example.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 03/08/2023 at 12:48, danm said:

They're all a bunch of wallies. I have zero faith in Labour improving anything either. They're more concerned with virtue signalling and wokery

Yeah, social injustice doesn't matter at all as long as you are not on the receiving end of it. 🙄

• Thanks 3

Posted
On 03/08/2023 at 21:35, Sunny76 said:

Thanks for this. I really don’t want another 2015. 

I don't think most people would:

Posted
On 03/08/2023 at 23:29, AderynCoch said:

A rubbish year in full. No thanks!

Today was quite sunny here though it clouded over in the evening. Tomorrow doesn't look too bad either.

Disappointing temperatures though. I'm not looking forward to Saturday either!

That was the year someone carelessly drove a car into me when I was cycling to work and I spend seven weeks in hospital. I do remember it getting uncomfortably warm/hot for at least a brief spell around late June or early July.

• Insightful 1

Posted
On 04/08/2023 at 07:32, Sunny76 said:

Agree. You adapt better to the very cold weather.

Similar to how people adjust to longer spells of hot and sunny weather.

People don't, the hot and sunny weather almost never lasts long enough to adapt to it before the Atlantic dross comes roaring back in.

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, Nick L said:

Perhaps that's an exaggeration, although the sun strength and daylight hours are equivalent to mid-April by that point. But my general point still stands. I don't understand why the solitary summer bank holiday is at the dying end of the season. At the very least move one of the cluster of spring bank holidays into mid-summer.

Possibly to encourage an extension of the holiday season and boost tourist trade at a time of the year people are expecting summer is just about over.

20 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

What makes a Greenland high a summer killer but a winter dream? I would guess that it makes northerlies more likely and blocks warm air please correct me if I am wrong 

It directs the jet stream southward meaning we are on the cold side of it. In winter this opens the doors for intrusions of Arctic air. In summer it means low after low steered across the UK bringing relentless cloud, rain and suppressed temperatures.

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, markyo said:

There is a lot who have had far far worse Summer conditions than yourself, and i mean vastly worse, by those figures you are lucky this year

RATIONALWIKI.ORG

The "not as bad as" fallacy, also known as the fallacy of relative privation,[2] asserts that:

"To be good, it is not enough to be better than the worst."

• Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, al78 said:

This is what happens when you have two decades of austerity and local authority budgets have been cut to the bone, certain things get neglected.

When it comes to beautification, grass verges and flower tubs around towns and cities sounds like something that could be taken up by local volunteer groups if local authorities don't have the money/can't be bothered.

In any case, the UK is now a country where there seems to be little pride in doing a good job, and people will often do the absolute minimum they can get away with to get the job done, look at pothole repairs for example.

Hmm...my council tax is now at £200/month; 10 years ago, £120? Maybe if councils spent their money more wisely?😉 Gold plated pensions and early retirement schemes still in place though? Even if a council makes a dreadful investment decision the UK taxpayer still bails it out. Their pension schemes can suffer from wrong investment decisions BUT any shortfall is propped up by UK taxpayers. 

There's a lot more to council spending/resources than just potholes. 

Weather - torrential rain set in here now; high winds due late morn/lunchtime, here.