Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Indeed and I was in the UK in June. There was something a bit "too good to be true" about that prolonged spell of extremely sunny weather for about 6 weeks from May 13th or so though!

Yes… that spell kinda crept up on us as I remember the forecast after that weekend being terrible but instead the high surged north and that was that.

I even managed to miss the wet first ten days while away in Egypt.

In terms of timing, it’s been quite similar to 2004. May turned settled around the 13th and June turned unsettled by the 19th, although it was a week later this year. July was pants throughout, although did turn much warmer in the last third… something missing from this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Yes… that spell kinda crept up on us as I remember the forecast after that weekend being terrible but instead the high surged north and that was that.

I even managed to miss the wet first ten days while away in Egypt.

In terms of timing, it’s been quite similar to 2004. May turned settled around the 13th and June turned unsettled by the 19th, although it was a week later this year. July was pants throughout, although did turn much warmer in the last third… something missing from this year.

July 2004 was another month I mostly missed, being largely in the USA or Canada, with the Pacific Northwest experiencing an unusually hot and sunny summer that year.

I did however read about the UK pattern and do remember the last 10 days or so being very much better. I remember that I just missed a spectacularly cool, dull, wet and windy period of about 5 days from the 7th - very good timing. However the timing of my return to the UK was very poor... August 6th, two days before ex-Hurricane Alex disrupted the pattern and led to an extremely cyclonic and wet month, albeit not cold.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

July 2004 was another month I mostly missed, being largely in the USA or Canada, with the Pacific Northwest experiencing an unusually hot and sunny summer that year.

I did however read about the UK pattern and do remember the last 10 days or so being very much better. However the timing of my return to the UK was very poor... August 6th, two days before ex-Hurricane Alex disrupted the pattern and led to an extremely cyclonic and wet month, albeit not cold.

Well given your track record of missing dire months, please do share when you’re next going away… 😅

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Well given your track record of missing dire months, please do share when you’re next going away… 😅

You don't want to know. 😉

June 2019 was another absolute "classic" I missed.

That said, I did miss both July and August 2022, and the 34C spell in September 2016, so it doesn't always work that way...

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

11C at midday that has to be a record.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
20 minutes ago, markyo said:

Beeston! I know it well, one of our clients is the dentist on Lady Pit Lane..seen it most weeks on Police interceptors on Ch 5 as the cop cars go racing past! You can almost see the clouds of wretchedness hanging over Elland Road from there!...Understand your desire to leave this Land now☺️

Yes Beeston is a shythole. I’m far too middle class to live there. 🧐

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Sadly your wrong. Although it can be even more expensive, people going to court for compensation, guess the choice is with the council. People do win these.

Official audit May '23:

less than one in four claimants receive a payout. And one in five local authorities reject at least 90 per cent of claims.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We’ve only had 1mm today, certainly not the washout I was expecting. Still only 13C though. 

I see Leek in Staffordshire is still below 10C. Will be interesting to see if anywhere manages to stay in single figures all day. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

We’ve only had 1mm today, certainly not the washout I was expecting. Still only 13C though. 

19.6mm here so far, though the heaviest rain seemed to come from the convergence zone overnight rather than this low pressure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
19 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes Beeston is a shythole. I’m far too middle class to live there. 🧐

🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
19 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Official audit May '23:

less than one in four claimants receive a payout. And one in five local authorities reject at least 90 per cent of claims.

Yep but those payments happen. And it not cheap. Councils try and say they didn't know the pothole was there. But you'll probably find most of the big ones that cause damage are known about.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

You don't want to know. 😉

June 2019 was another absolute "classic" I missed.

That said, I did miss both July and August 2022, and the 34C spell in September 2016, so it doesn't always work that way...

Fair point. Wouldn’t have missed last summer for anything. As for Sept 2016, that was just a small corner of the SE. While that was happening, we were having thunderstorms here. 😅

Posted

In a heavy burst now, yuk, so dark with it. Was lighter during yesterday's convective heavy rain.

Posted
24 minutes ago, cheese said:

I see Leek in Staffordshire is still below 10C. Will be interesting to see if anywhere manages to stay in single figures all day. 

Different story on the east coast. Lots of local flooding in the Whitby area. Must have had a couple of inches in 3-4 hrs earlier this morning.

Posted

Blue sky appearing, together with the sun. Epic storm this🙄.

Is this a lull, in the lull, in the lull? Apologies, i'm losing track of the number of lulls mentioned in last few weeks😉.

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Blue sky appearing, together with the sun. Epic storm this🙄.

Is this a lull, in the lull, in the lull? Apologies, i'm losing track of the number of lulls mentioned in last few weeks😉.

Have you been lulled into a false sense of security, Si? 😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny warmth, thunderstorms, frost
On 04/08/2023 at 11:34, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Indeed. How are you finding living in the Faroe Islands?

Personally, I've had my fill now. Torshavn has been nice - something different - but i'm quite ready to return back to London next summer. 😆

Torshavn has probably fared better than any of us have for the last half dozen weeks or so.

To have weeks and weeks scrubbed out either side of a decent spell in June has wrecked my zen.  😬

• Like 2

Posted

Another heavy burst, guess we are finally joining the rest of the country in the crud down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

The most notable thing today is not the wind or the rain, but the temperatures. Birmingham hasn't exceeded 12C and it isn't expected to get any warmer. The last time such a low temperature was locally recorded in August was 2010 (12.8C).

Screenshot_20230805_131328_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ed8bd59262b25fc2921de87e5d6e1888.jpg

Edited by Snowshine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

With a max of 12.2C here so far, winter solstice 2020 was still 'milder' than what it is right now.

Could contain:

• Insightful 1

Posted

12c here. Just light drizzle. Just been for a jog down Himley Hall by me. The sun appeared at 12.15 and went back in again 32 seconds later. There is another outdoor festival on down there and I jogged past a large tent featuring a forlorn looking Human League tribute act singing 'I'm only human. Of flesh and blood i'm made" watched by about 11 people wrapped up like it's January and a dog. Perhaps they should have had a Travis tribute on singing "Why does it always rain on me"? Then I jogged back home through the cold horizontal drizzle and remembered it's supposed to be August 5th. 

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Have you been lulled into a false sense of security, Si? 😁

Yep. It lashed it down 10 minutes after that post🤣. Monsoon-like torrent appeared on our road.

It's surprisingly calm here though; just a breeze really

• Like 1