Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted

Well, we're off to The English Riviera this morn for 3 days; weather looks ok, nowt hot or brill, but dry (after this morn), and in context of the last few weeks i'll take it.

Just needed to get away from the house, Tipping Point and The Chase😁.

Warmer, sunnier climes beckon, in 3 weeks time😎

• Like 2

Posted

Given the forecast for this coming weekend has fallen through the floor we’ve now got the chance of going through all of July and august without a single decent weekend. I can’t think of a more depressing stat! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
12 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Well, we're off to The English Riviera this morn for 3 days; weather looks ok, nowt hot or brill, but dry (after this morn), and in context of the last few weeks i'll take it.

Just needed to get away from the house, Tipping Point and The Chase😁.

Warmer, sunnier climes beckon, in 3 weeks time😎

Tbf, you've picked the best 3/4 day period for it out of the last 6! 

Enjoy it, where you off to?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
44 minutes ago, cheese said:

Looks like the wet July had a negative impact on retail sales 

_130678620_ad3e7773-578d-4382-bce2-f3816
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

UK retail sales growth slowed to 1.5% in July after rain put shoppers off buying summery items.

I've always found this peculiar that people are less likely to spend time in shopping centres when the weather is crap outside. I couldn't think of anything worse on a lovely day than to spend it trudging around shops. 

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Given the forecast for this coming weekend has fallen through the floor we’ve now got the chance of going through all of July and august without a single decent weekend. I can’t think of a more depressing stat! 

There literally isn't one. Unless you work in an industry/profession with irregular hours, the weekends are the only real time you have free to spend with your family, friends or just doing outdoors activities during summer. So to have 5/6 weekends on the trot, be partly or fully wasted from a weather-perspective, is very depressing for a lot of people.

Can't remember a single summer in my entire life, even 2012, where every single weekend during high summer was at best, a cloudy coolfest, or at worst, a complete washout with near record low temps for that specific day.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Tbf, you've picked the best 3/4 day period for it out of the last 6! 

Enjoy it, where you off to?

Torquay. Nice hotel we've used for years, excellent food. Usually pop out in car in the day over to Dartmouth, Torcross, etc.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat
35 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Oh good god, what the hell is that! I thought my one in London had been downgraded. But that just takes the cake.

Really makes you laugh at all these models and forecasts. My crystal ball is just as effective!

That right there that you've screenshotted - it it manifests - will just be a 100% continuation of the pattern we've been having for the last 6 weeks.  

Yeah you don't know how lucky you have in the South, you think you've had a bad July but I'm looking forward to a 'good' day that's no better than your average ones! And yet, the poor buggers a bit further North would be happy to have my bad days...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
27 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I've always found this peculiar that people are less likely to spend time in shopping centres when the weather is crap outside. I couldn't think of anything worse on a lovely day than to spend it trudging around shops. 

I think some people just don’t leave the house when it’s rubbish. It’s definitely a bit weird, though. Shopping is the last thing I’d do when it’s nice outside

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
51 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It seems more like people just weren’t buying summer stuff in general - both in person and online. No buying barbecues, patio furniture etc. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

15°C, drizzle, sigh…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Not this bloomin year! What a bloody let down. Even June was mostly about 25c which was great but not excessive. 

June was perfect once the cold ne wind went.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Oh good god, what the hell is that! I thought my one in London had been downgraded. But that just takes the cake.

Really makes you laugh at all these models and forecasts. My crystal ball is just as effective!

That right there that you've screenshotted - it it manifests - will just be a 100% continuation of the pattern we've been having for the last 6 weeks.  

I use some seaweed , better than any weather app or computer generated forecast of any kind🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Cor blimey, some of the guff they're churning out in the headlines! 

Britain set to bake in scorching heatwave! Said one of them.

Wouldn't exactly call 2 days of 25c and partly sunny a scorching heatwave but there you go!

Edited by SunSean
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Looks like the wet July had a negative impact on retail sales 

_130678620_ad3e7773-578d-4382-bce2-f3816
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

UK retail sales growth slowed to 1.5% in July after rain put shoppers off buying summery items.

No that's mouny related, shops normally do well in bad weather 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
11 minutes ago, MP-R said:

15°C, drizzle, sigh…

Exactly the same in west London. Very heavy drizzle now, so everything is becoming soaked. The joy 🤩 is indescribable 

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

I’m sure it’s a bit of both. 

• Like 2

Posted

They don't have a clue do they? It's basically the opposite of their long range and even the short range has been delusional. Honestly, this isn't good enough.

2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Not if they are selling summer clobber they won't.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Exactly the same in west London. Very heavy drizzle now, so everything is becoming soaked. The joy 🤩 is indescribable 

It’s actually a lovely morning in Leeds. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

It’s actually a lovely morning in Leeds. 

Looks lovely away from the south on satellite pics, enjoy 😊 Hideous here

Posted
1 hour ago, IcySpicy said:

Sorry for not being clear enough. I didn't mean to say that the summer climate in general has warmed by 3C in N Europe. If anything we have seen many poor summers in the 2010s and there probably isn't a strong warming trend.

I was moreso talking about the weather of summer 2023 specifically in my location. This summer we have had lots of showery and cloudy weather and have mostly been under low pressure. A poor setup. Despite this we have had quite warm upper air temps, which translate to temperatures around the high teens - low 20s, while in other summers with this kind of LP dominated pattern we would see cooler uppers and temps in the mid teens more frequently. So I was just wondering whether it could be due to warm SST temps and all the heat elsewhere on the planet. Maybe it's just pure luck though over here, as I know the UK on the other hand has seen some shockingly cold days this summer.

No you are right, even here the CET, was much higher then it would have been in July's weather only twenty to thirty years ago. 

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

There literally isn't one. Unless you work in an industry/profession with irregular hours, the weekends are the only real time you have free to spend with your family, friends or just doing outdoors activities during summer. So to have 5/6 weekends on the trot, be partly or fully wasted from a weather-perspective, is very depressing for a lot of people.

Can't remember a single summer in my entire life, even 2012, where every single weekend during high summer was at best, a cloudy coolfest, or at worst, a complete washout with near record low temps for that specific day.

It's actually quite odd that it always gets worse just at the week-end. Especially Saturdays have been awful (at least in London).

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Looks lovely away from the south on satellite pics, enjoy 😊 Hideous here

It probably won’t last all day. Fully expect overcast skies by 12pm.

Edited by cheese

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

It probably won’t last all day. Fully expect overcast skies by 12pm.

At least you won’t get third degree burns from the killer sun 😂 Looks like you might get some infill but not the foulness affecting here. It really could be November. Gloomy, and the drizzle has turned to full-on rain. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

That's the thing people do go shopping when the weather's bad, for retail it's something else. For those who need people to turn up for holidays though, like coastal resorts, and things like mini golf etc, the weather has done some damage