Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
40 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

This is actually insane now.

Lightning detector going off like a Geiger Counter on a lump of plutonium for Bratislava

image.thumb.png.1fb485e4f5b47199cedc510115fd80a3.png

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
53 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Eh? London including central London has its most significant fall of December snow since 2010. In my part of zone 2 we had cover for a week longer than BFTE.

https://x.com/joyce_karam/status/1602078654791843840?s=61&t=cYYkjFDEgIgUESXd7oZvxg

There was nothing in west London from that, a bit of snow fell but it was central London eastwards and northwards that got a decent event 

Posted
5 hours ago, reef said:

I think its just generally cooler. August cools rapidly through the month. By 28th August, the 1991-2020 average maximum here is 19.6C. Today we reached 19.4C so pretty close.

Looking back through my records, in 43 years only 5 individual days have surpassed 25C in the period 28th-31st August.

I mean it is a bit cooler on average than high summer but it could easily be hot and sunny. September is even later but can still bring in the heat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
2 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

I mean it is a bit cooler on average than high summer but it could easily be hot and sunny. September is even later but can still bring in the heat.

Been at a festival this weekend. Loved every minute but during the later acts the temperature dropped below 10c which should be pretty shocking for late August but it seems to happen year after year. Something about the last few days of August always seems more like October and I'm not sure why!

Especially since in a lot of recent years we've had freezing ends to summer only to be followed by heat a week later in early/mid September. 2021 and 2020 being two very clear examples

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, WeatherWatchmanG said:

Not correct, any time in mid September onwards really.

No- it's a warm spell after the first frost. That doesn't happen in September or would be extremely unlikely.

The term Indian Summer originates from the Northeastern states of the US and over there it's considered to be from mid-October onwards as that is when the first air frost becomes possible.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Summer is over soon, I will miss the long hours of daylight but not the humidity. Wasp season is upon us now, any chance of a couple of frosts in September to knock the little flocker sideways.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
Just now, lassie23 said:

Summer is over soon, I will miss the long hours of daylight but not the humidity. Wasp season is upon us now, any chance of a couple of frosts in September to knock the little flocker sideways.

Wasps 😡

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

No- it's a warm spell after the first frost. That doesn't happen in September or would be extremely unlikely.

The term Indian Summer originates from the Northeastern states of the US and over there it's considered to be from mid-October onwards as that is when the first air frost becomes possible.

You are absolutely correct, however the phrase has crossed the Atlantic and been adapted in the UK to mean a spell of warm weather in September or October 

• Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

They will probably freeze to death in our awful climate. I have hardly seen a bee all 'summer '. The cold too much. What a summer.  Joke.

I've seen a fair number of bees this summer but only a couple of wasps recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can we please keep Covid talk to the (for some reason, still active) Covid threads? Most of us just want to talk about the weather.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Crazy amounts of rain here and feeling very chilly for late August 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
43 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

They will probably freeze to death in our awful climate. I have hardly seen a bee all 'summer '. The cold too much. What a summer.  Joke.

Bee wise I've had a garden full of them, but will admit not many hunny bees. Started seeing a wasp every now and then now, not big numbers of them. Lots of different hover fly's, will have a garden full of solitary bees soon. They live in my lawn.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, plymsunshine said:

Been at a festival this weekend. Loved every minute but during the later acts the temperature dropped below 10c which should be pretty shocking for late August but it seems to happen year after year. Something about the last few days of August always seems more like October and I'm not sure why!

Especially since in a lot of recent years we've had freezing ends to summer only to be followed by heat a week later in early/mid September. 2021 and 2020 being two very clear examples

I literally just made a thread about cool ends to August. They’re quite regular. Even more bizarre if there’s a switch back to warmth shortly after.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
37 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I literally just made a thread about cool ends to August. They’re quite regular. Even more bizarre if there’s a switch back to warmth shortly after.

Seems to happen most years noawadays. A cool end to August with the weather turning warm again just in time for the schools to go back.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Seems to happen most years noawadays. A cool end to August with the weather turning warm again just in time for the schools to go back.

Well yes some years it does and some years it doesn’t. Mushy did a good post debunking the myth of good weather always returning when the schools do the other day. We do tend to remember when it does though.

• Like 1

Posted

Well that was something else. The August 2017 MCS/derecho was incredible but I think this might top it. To think I was moaning about the lack of storms this year. 😄

I took too much footage to show all of it here. I'll just leave you with these:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 hours ago, Don said:

I've seen a fair number of bees this summer but only a couple of wasps recently.

Left the bathroom light on overnight with the window open. Just went in to find 3 wasps buzzing in the light fitting. Guess they’ve got nowhere to go and nothing to do now that the nests are redundant.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Index 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

2022 261

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

1925 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

2021 238

1941 236

1970 235

1969 234

1973 234 

1999 234

1997 232

1990 229

1917 228

1926 227

2023 227 

2005 224 

1905 223

1932 223

1945 223

1967 223

1977 223

1914 222

1992 222

2023 222 (up to 27th Aug)

• Like 2

Posted

Don't know why but when I think of the summer of 2023, I think of Marlon Brando from On The Waterfront and the "I could have been a contender" speech. 

It could have a been contender this summer back in June but it went belly-up going into July.   There have been spectacular examples of past summers where after an overall superb June that it crashed and burned the rest of the summer.  Got a taste of that this summer.

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, near northampton said:

You are absolutely correct, however the phrase has crossed the Atlantic and been adapted in the UK to mean a spell of warm weather in September or October 

I don't see how a warm spell in September is anything out of the ordinary though? It's too early to label it an Indian Summer, even in late September.

It's the UK media that has fuelled this strange idea that warmth in September (even the first half of the month) is exceptional- it's actually not a lot cooler than June on average.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 4

Posted
10 hours ago, CreweCold said:

There have been a lot of scientists saying for ages now that this would happen as a consequence of COVID. Immune dysregulation they call it...basically they assert that COVID (certainly the original variants) have an effect on the immune system whereby the virus scrubs memory of previous infections. Therefore your immune system is starting from a weakened position.

More than once I've seen COVID described as airborne AIDS.

This is total nonsense and scaremongering by the media/establishment. For the vast majority of people it is/was a cold. Nothing more.

Some people did struggle more than others afterwards but that's not unique to Covid. Post-viral fatigue has always been a thing. It's the reason some people take months to get over glandular fever for example.

As someone who works in the mental health field, I can say firmly that the effects of the restrictions were far, far worse than Covid itself. Especially on younger people, many of whom have really suffered from the massive disruption.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I think the majority of people are thankfully ok and haven’t any long-term effects, but there’s definitely issues being triggered with some people’s immune systems and responses. Immune dysregulation sounds a tad worrying. I’ve noticed that my immune system suffers when I have gluten, so I avoid that as much as possible. 

Vitamin D3 and Zinc have been proven to be hugely effective (against Covid and any other infection) but because of the power of Big Pharma, the benefits have been played down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2