Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Its a real shame and i dont mean to be negative as i genuinely thought the ecm was gona be a better run than the 00z with a slightly more southward push around 168 and 192 hours!!!especially after the ukmo and the 06z mogreps ensembles!!it what it is peeps live to fight another day but we defo need changes for the better tomorrow morning or according to ecm its gona be a non starter lol!!!!literally!!!!!

• Like 4

Posted

To be fair, given the scatter for later next week in the Ens, it was only a matter of time until one of the ops went the much milder route... Have to wait until tomorrow to see if its a trend or just a 1 off.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
11 minutes ago, IDO said:

This morning's ensembles had the scatter where the 12z clearly was a possibility. We have had several cold ops rather than cluster switching, so a mild one was due (0z):

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

The ens trend was that temps would rise and the 12z shows the faster route. No quick recovery to cold if the 12z is right, as heights to the north and NW fade quickly. 

We have to see where this lies, see if there is a trend in the ECM ensembles (correction to the downwelling), and tomorrow whether other models pick this signal up. Sadly, it is within the bounds of options and the ECM scenario would be a very disappointing view from the garden path.

I posted this 24 hours ago and was then surprised to see the ECM not go mild on its 0z op run this morning...

Could contain: Chart, Plot

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
Just now, Gowon said:

@Lukesluckybunch cursed it by getting too excited 

Actually it was Tamara's post a few days back that did it I reckon!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
Just now, RainAllNight said:

I posted this 24 hours ago and was then surprised to see the ECM not go mild on the 0z this morning...

Could contain: Chart, Plot

Yes, agree, from a statistical point of view and assuming no bias in the models, a milder op should have been more likely. Unfortunately, the ops suck at high latitude blocking and get it wrong too many times for any of us to have high confidence even with a full hand.

I would therefore not take the 12z ECM as the end, just we do not want to see the ens follow and GFS tonight go bust. As expected the rest of the ECM run is garbage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

As comments are mainly about next Wednesday, the trend is there with the GFS less progressive. The weekends outputs (if not tomorrow) should give a clearer picture but here is the ECM/UKMO/GFS/GEM for T144

Could contain: Outdoors, Chart, Plot, NatureUN144-21.thumb.gif.6f48c79fd403f21893e1dba15b3d48d0.gifCould contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Totally agree with @Mucka about staying focussed closer to time but this does tie in with the NAO wanting to trend back towards neutral and has been the theme for many days showing that this wasn`t going to be a prolonged episode. The NAO is only based on the GFS so that`s 1 pinch  of salt.

The PNA, this is purely from my own observations of any correlation but it is now trending towards positive also.

Could contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot

All these are just model assumptions and if there are effects from the 2nd warming then all the above could easily be trash.

Don`t want to see the above being the trend on Saturday though (if you like cold that is for this spell,  March could throw another but...)

• Like 2

Posted

I don't believe the ECM has this right at all. But history tells me the best cold comes from heights over Greenland waxing and waning towards Scandi. This is where historical cold spells have come about. For me the heights over Greenland weaken across all models at day 6/7 and the gfs / ukmo rely on little wedges that work tiny miracles. Of course a mix of ecm and ukmo would be quite a good result and a meeting of minds often happens!!

So for now everything is up in the air, but the favourite option is cold

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A ridiculously mild run from ECM to flatten everyones' spirits and end up with a nice fat Bartlett after the short cold snap is easily blasted away. 🤣

Let's hope the ECM ENS suite is a bit more encouraging!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Map

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Let’s hope so Ali because it’s is a disaster wasn’t expecting that at all. It’s on its own the ECM so will probably we wrong 

ECM was king of the castle last night but tonight it is wrong? I would trust the ECM before GFS right now 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

I think we've all been scarred far too many times to just discount this ECM run, definitely don't want to see it repeated on the 00z run or the UKMO or gfs. As we know how quickly things can go wrong once we hit that road.

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Looks like a ridge going nw🤣🤣 I’ll get my coat.😩

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Graphics, Modern Art, Disk

• Like 4

Posted

This looks like a major pattern change in the USA and if that’s the case best to wait to see if this new trend verifies and the downstream impacts .

NCEP in their monthly forecast for March forecast a change in the central and eastern USA caused by the MJO.

This doesn’t mean its curtains for us and it could well be that we end up with more blocking to the north .

What would be nice is if we can avoid any mild crud during the change ! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
2 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

ECM was king of the castle last night but tonight it is wrong? I would trust the ECM before GFS right now 

All models will be wrong at 144hrs. The UKMO wobbled yesterday the ECM today and the GFS just continually wobbles 😂

• Like 2

Posted

The cold air is coming. We just need to clear away the low pressure coming south on Sunday/Monday. 
By Monday showers IK the blue area should be snow and hail. And these will move steadily south on Tuesday.  

Alex Deaking had it all as rain on Sunday but I think the precip in Scotland could well be wintry by then. Especially over the hills ! Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Head, Face, Outdoors, Clothing, Coat

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
6 minutes ago, Purga said:

A ridiculously mild run from ECM to flatten everyones' spirits and end up with a nice fat Bartlett after the short cold snap is easily blasted away. 🤣

Let's hope the ECM ENS suite is a bit more encouraging!

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Art, Map

Isn't a Bartlett a persistent high pressure cell over Iberia/Europe/bay of Biscay during winter? Pressure rising in this area doesn't automatically make it a Bartlett unless I'm mistaken 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Purga said:

The trouble is when there's virtually complete cross model agreement on a decent cold spell & then just one rougue mild spoiler run gets thrown up, completely unexpectedly......

We all know what happens next ! 🤢🤣

Could contain: Purple, Stencil

I know loads of people knock the GFS18z but in the past has been good to spot a change. Lets see what it looks like later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

This looks like a major pattern change in the USA and if that’s the case best to wait to see if this new trend verifies and the downstream impacts .

NCEP in their monthly forecast for March forecast a change in the central and eastern USA caused by the MJO.

This doesn’t mean its curtains for us and it could well be that we end up with more blocking to the north .

What would be nice is if we can avoid any mild crud during the change ! 

Nice info Nick. The AO is totally confused at the min but can see why the changes (for X period of time). I believe currently the NW is the cold theme and ties into the current PNA obs.

AOCould contain: Chart, Plot, Line Chart

Seems everywhere is messy.

• Like 1