Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Just now, lassie23 said:

humidity sucks

It really does! Brings out the worst of everything. You can't enjoy the sunlight becuse the humidity combined with it just makes it feel too unbearable. At night it's the worst... I want to sleep without sweating. I want to sleep with blankets over me... I can't even do that because the humidity with dry air... no breeze... Ughhhh! -_-

• Like 2

Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

last warm day of the year tomorrow maybe

As much as I'd love for that to be true. I can't believe it right now. I'm sorry... the weather has been very unpredictable. We weren't supposed to have any heatwave in August. It then happened. We weren't supposed to have heat this week but it still happened. The humidity continues to climb from 40% - 98% & believe me... I don't see the humidity disappearing until October at the latest. I think September will bring more humidity & may even result in another 1-2 weeks of this type of atmosphere. I don't mean to be negative as I'd like to be hopeful. However, I've been let down too much this year. As for tomorrow... I think tomorrow will change... Let's also consider the fact that every weekend has resulted in higher humidity. I don't know why Saturday & Sunday continue to be the hottest days. It's annoying when you think about how it's almost bearable for a week & then on your days off work / school- whatever. It then gets uncomfortable... -_-

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 minutes ago, SakuraOwl said:

It really does! Brings out the worst of everything. You can't enjoy the sunlight becuse the humidity combined with it just makes it feel too unbearable. At night it's the worst... I want to sleep without sweating. I want to sleep with blankets over me... I can't even do that because the humidity with dry air... no breeze... Ughhhh! -_-

It gives me headaches, dehydrates me whenever I do stuff, and makes my skin oily......what is the point of it lol

• Like 1

Just now, lassie23 said:

It gives me headaches, dehydrates me whenever I do stuff, and makes my skin oily......what is the point of it lol

Exactly! Humidity doesn't help anyone. It's also very dangerous for our health. Another skin situation that it causes is dry skin. High humidity can cause skin to become very dry. As for making the skin oily- It can most definitely achieve that too. Humidity is also the reason why many of us are drinking more than usual. It's another reason why we are drinking so much water or any liquids. You may also notice that you're feeling hungry more often & that's because of the humidity too. The dry air is terrible to walk in. You may even have trouble breathing. I know some people with asthma (I hope that's right) who are struggling to breathe because thair is to dense & dry. It's scary when you think that this is only going to get worse as the years go by... ;-;

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
12 minutes ago, SakuraOwl said:

Exactly! Humidity doesn't help anyone. It's also very dangerous for our health. Another skin situation that it causes is dry skin. High humidity can cause skin to become very dry. As for making the skin oily- It can most definitely achieve that too. Humidity is also the reason why many of us are drinking more than usual. It's another reason why we are drinking so much water or any liquids. You may also notice that you're feeling hungry more often & that's because of the humidity too. The dry air is terrible to walk in. You may even have trouble breathing. I know some people with asthma (I hope that's right) who are struggling to breathe because thair is to dense & dry. It's scary when you think that this is only going to get worse as the years go by... ;-;

I did the front and back gardens up and ended up drinking 2 liters of pineapple juice lol, I thought I was going to explode and cover everyone in pure squeezed 100% pineapple juice, at least it's the posh stuff😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
25 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

last warm day of the year tomorrow maybe

Here's hoping! In honesty, from my perspective, August hasn't ended up as bad (hot) as I feared it would at one point. We've had a couple of near-misses this month, and I'm trying to make the most of it. Last year we got destroyed by heat, and with wishing to fear-monger, I can only see summers getting worse in the future unless something totally unexpected/ unforeseen happens. So this summer, whilst acknowledging that June was very hot, has been comparatively ok...

It's muggy but believe me it could be so much worse. We have done exceptionally well this year. I'm fortunate to live in an old house which stays cool so the current warmth isn't troubling me and the lessening solar input helps. But it is several degrees warmer towards the southeast although nowhere near as hot as it looked like was possible at one point.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The humidity tonight is definitely the worst for some time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The humidity tonight is definitely the worst for some time.

I can't sleep tonight xD

Update: Tonight looks to be staying consistent with what I mentioned previously. Those who were hopeful for less humidity will be left disappointed... Tonight's humidity will climb to 98% once again... This will last through the night. After the night... the humidity will lower to 75% which will then become higher as the day goes by... So, it's not looking good. It's starting to look exactly how I predicted it would be... Humidity reaching higher levels & will continue to stick around into October most likely. It's difficult to know for certain. I honestly think tonight is the warmest day. The annoying part is that outside it's relatively cold during the night. Not too cold but it's cooler. Then there's no breeze which means no cooler air... I'm surprised anyone can sleep tonight...

Edited by SakuraOwl
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Yeah I’m done with this weird weather!

it didn’t feel to warm tbh when i went to do the shopping and then the humidity got me! I was sweating I felt hot so hot! Almost fainted because I got so hot lol I wish I was joking but I was wearing my little hat i wear and it wasn’t that warm when i left lol 😂 

the humidity is wearing on me now! Driving home on the motorway and it was to loud shut the window then it’s insta boiling open the window again rinse repeat 

ill never be a heat lover I just don’t enjoy sweating buckets sleeping on top of my duvet wearing next to nothing outside I’m a prude I cover up well all year round lol I just want to feel comfortable again 😭

• Like 2

Posted

Well it looks like we will finally get rid of the warm humid air tomorrow. 'Feels like' temperature forecast is now 22c rather than 25c so wood cutting will be less unpleasant. I have to agree with other posts, it been more noticeable in the evening and at night during the last couple of weeks. Even having windows open hasn't helped. I am glad I have made bug meshes for each bedroom window, as this means we can open the windows without getting eaten alive.

Looking at these posts I am not alone, for everyone's sake let's hope this thread will die soon.

Last Friday I had the worst migraine I have had for 20 years and the humid bad sleeping conditions were at least partly to blame (also work stresses but that's another story). SWMBO has now decreed that daily bike ride must be taken early before the heat/humidity gets going until it cools down, so I have been doing my 10 mile daily ride at around 6am.

• Like 3

Posted

Well the humidity is hanging on at the east coast this morning, feels like someone has left a kettle on. Temperatures are a reasonable 17c but with a dew point of 16c it feels much hotter, there is no breeze and hazy sun. Hoping it will freshen up later.

Edited by mike57
spelling

Posted
2 hours ago, mike57 said:

Well the humidity is hanging on at the east coast this morning, feels like someone has left a kettle on. Temperatures are a reasonable 17c but with a dew point of 16c it feels much hotter, there is no breeze and hazy sun. Hoping it will freshen up later.

Pretty similar here and feels like it has been for ages.

I keep reading about fresher air being due to arrive, I hope it puts a shift on.

Edited by CharlieBear9
  • Like 1

Posted

Last of the wood cut and stacked today. Humidity made it a miserable task. Sawdust and dirt sticks to you. When I had finished was sent straight in the shower by SWMBO. Finally feels a little fresher here, Hoping for an early start to Autumn.

Looking at data East Kent had 21c with a dew point of 21c earlier this evening, that is seriously unpleasant humidity.

Posted

Well done @mike57 with the wood chopping and stacking...and I think that you'll understand me if I say "I hope that you need plenty of it this year!" Yes, the warm and humid weather has hung on longer than expected here in my part of the West Midlands, too...walking between sites at work today was not pleasant, arrived a sweaty mess (sorry!). We've had the fan on at home in the bedroom more this week than at any time since mid-June...so let's hope that the 'filth' (heat and humidity) dissipates soon. An early, and cool (sunny is fine if it's cool!) autumn would be most welcome. 

• Like 2

Posted

CET (much derided in some quarters) is running at 1.2c above the 1961-1990 average up to the 23rd, illustrating what a warm month it has been so far. I am a) amazed at how some people can't deal with statistics and evidence, and b) amazed at how accustomed the general population seem to have become to warmer than average temperatures, then claiming that it is 'cool' when it's anything but (dull, or wet, is a different point). If we had a winter that was as far below average, in terms of temperatures, as this summer has been - all hell would be breaking loose on parts of this forum and in the media.

But, - "this summer has been appalling, the worst ever" etc apparently...!?

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Last of the wood cut and stacked today. Humidity made it a miserable task. Sawdust and dirt sticks to you. When I had finished was sent straight in the shower by SWMBO. Finally feels a little fresher here, Hoping for an early start to Autumn.

Looking at data East Kent had 21c with a dew point of 21c earlier this evening, that is seriously unpleasant humidity.

Had a similar experience and result trimming the garden hedges again. The shower was bliss.

2 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

CET (much derided in some quarters) is running at 1.2c above the 1961-1990 average up to the 23rd, illustrating what a warm month it has been so far. I am a) amazed at how some people can't deal with statistics and evidence, and b) amazed at how accustomed the general population seem to have become to warmer than average temperatures, then claiming that it is 'cool' when it's anything but (dull, or wet, is a different point). If we had a winter that was as far below average, in terms of temperatures, as this summer has been - all hell would be breaking loose on parts of this forum and in the media.

Don't ever try discussing anything related to "averages" with them, you could easily become unhinged.

• Like 1

Posted

ha ha, you're spot on @CharlieBear9! Facts seem to trigger some folk..."just look out of the window", they splutter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
46 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

Using the new average, August is only 0.5C above it so nothing overly warm but still decent / pleasant enough, nothing overkill if you hate heat. Just a little on the humid side at times.

Better to use newer average as the climate is different to what it what a few decades ago. Majority of folk use it as well elsewhere when referencing how warm or cool a month was.

Almost every January and Feb would be classed as mild these days if the older 61-90 average was used.

Could contain:

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted

I take your point, @Metwatch. Having said which, the WMO recommend using 1961-1990 as an international baseline to track the impacts of climate change, so I do keep an eye on that. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, SollyOlly said:

I had my second day of the week in the office yesterday and it was hell. Its in a 19th Century Mill with castle like walls and a laundrette directly underneath so the tropical air from tumble dryers and commercial ironing rises through the floor and has nowhere to go, as non of the windows on this floor open. 27c when I arrived at 8AM and 30c when I left and that was based on 19c outside.

Fortunately, as a pure stroke of luck the heatwave last year occurred when I was on annual leave but I was told it was 46c inside the building!. The only concession we had was a Tesco bottle of pop appeared at lunchtime!.

If the Government really believe the Summers will get hotter, then it needs to back up that belief with actual action, such as upper workplace temperature limits or change in working hours, so people doing heavy or manual work aren't at work during the hottest / most humid part of the day, as millions of us don't all work in billion pound air conditioned tower blocks in wonderful, bountiful, beautiful London!. Currently, you can't carry livestock above a certain temperature in heatwaves, but you are expected to rock up and work 9 hours each day in a furnace - enough said!.

I've often found that those who claim its cold when its 23c outside, are usually the very same people who kick up a fuss, faux fan themselves and submit a grievance, during the Winter if a work colleague dares to change the office thermostat from 20c to 21c!. 

I think the media made so much of the 40+c last year that many are just convinced its always been the norm and now guaranteed as part of summer entitlement.

Edited by Chris J
  • Like 4

Posted
17 hours ago, SollyOlly said:

This is the problem with summers like this one. Yes, it wasnt all that sunny, and people equate warm with sunny - but even when it was grey and raining and not at all sunny, it was far from cold. It was still pretty warm out there bar the odd couple of days mid July, it was just warm against a back drop of cloud and drizzle. So people will moan about it and some may try to say Global Warming isnt real/that bad.....

Warmth doesnt need the sun to be visible, and a warming world is also likely to be a wetter and more humid world, especially for us. Heat still gets trapped in, even if the sun isnt out! 

Edited by legion_quest
  • Like 4