Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Posted
On 10/09/2023 at 18:37, SakuraOwl said:

Update: Yesterday's heat was uncomfortable & overall unpleasant. Last night's weather conditions were also uncomfortable & really unpleasant. To put this into perspective- I didn't sleep very well at all. In fact- due to this unforgiving heatwave- I've not been able to sleep well for days. I'm surprised I'm not sick by now. Today's weather is honestly irritating. The fact the temperatures have fallen is beautiful. Once again, there's the same problem back in August... The same problem that won't go away. Has anyone else noticed that the humidity just won't disappear... It's continuously holding onto the world. This is why I fear another heatwave this year... Because if there is one. The humidity will once again make the weather uncomfortable & unpleasant. I'm so sick of sweating over & over again. Even after a shower, it's shortlived. The relief just isn't there. Aircon isn't enough. Fans aren't enough. Ice isn't enough. I'm so sick of this weather... I'm sorry but I am. September is not Summer & neither should it ever be. Give us the seasons we want most... Summer lovers have already had their summer... -_-

i have found the heat very uncomfortable,i suffer from asthma and this year it has been the worst ever!

i long for autumn the most beautiful time of the year for me! i hope we see it soon,the poor trees and animals

must be so confused!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 11/09/2023 at 20:29, Don said:

After feeling fresher earlier, now feels humid again and back to sweating!!  Hate it! 🥵 😬

fresher early in the morning in east sussex,i take my dog for a walk at 6am,he loves the cool too!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and mild breezes. Thunder, heavy showers. Stormy seas.
On 09/09/2023 at 14:53, mike57 said:

This graphic I think shows how year on year maximums of got considerably higher. Blue years are less than 30c anywhere in UK, and general trend is upwards. This is covering whole of England, max temp each year.

image.png.764ae5150c1b5e1b7f6648df46f8b5c3.thumb.png.2187eeddece8ffc9127e55689c97a2ff.png

Sorry for delay in replying. Very interesting, this shows a long spell of years that attained over 30C, followed by a distinct cooler period.  Then the current warm period, which, with man made increased urbanization and effects from that, and increased solar flux since the 70's (a peer review illustrates this) has elevated the temperatures higher.

These are the highest maxima for UK, MET office. 

I have bolded +50 year old records.  January, March, April,May,June and September have yet to be surpassed, interestingly.

January 18.327 January 1958   Aber (Gwynedd) 

January 18.326 January 2003   Aboyne (Aberdeenshire)   

January 18.326 January 2003Inchmarlo (Kincardineshire)

February 21.226 February 2019Kew Gardens (London)

March 25.629 March 1968Mepal (Cambridgeshire)

April 29.416 April 1949^Camden Square (London)

May 32.822 May 1922^Camden Square (London)

May 32.829 May 1944Horsham (West Sussex)

May 32.829 May 1944Tunbridge Wells (Kent)

May 32.829 May 1944Regent's Park (London)

June 35.629 June 1957^Camden Square (London)

June 35.628 June 1976Southampton Mayflower Park

July 40.319 July 2022Coningsby (Lincolnshire)

August 38.510 August 2003Faversham (Kent)

September 35.62 September 1906^Bawtry, Hesley Hall (South Yorkshire)

October 29.91 October 2011Gravesend (Kent)

November 22.41 November 2015Trawsgoed (Ceredigion)

December 18.728 December 2019Achfary (Sutherland)

Edited by Cosmo69
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun and mild breezes. Thunder, heavy showers. Stormy seas.

A fairly pleasant 26C here today down south. Yesterday felt ok at 23C. Not too warm.  The sea temperature is currently 19.6C, so quite good for mid september (average 18C) and nice to cool down in !

Was a terribly cold september day for Newcastle yesterday, 12C ! Think the average is about 16C mid september there.

Edited by Cosmo69

Posted
1 hour ago, hothater said:

fresher early in the morning in east sussex,i take my dog for a walk at 6am,he loves the cool too!

Beautiful yesterday and today. Unsettled from Monday sadly, but nice 19C to 22C temperatures !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Cosmo69 said:

A fairly pleasant 26C here today down south. Yesterday felt ok at 23C. Not too warm.  The sea temperature is currently 19.6C, so quite good for mid september (average 18C) and nice to cool down in !

Was a terribly cold september day for Newcastle yesterday, 12C ! Think the average is about 16C mid september there.

26C already

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

26C already

Highest stations outside currently is Langdon bay, Lydd, st catherines point .  21C.  From Netweather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
14 hours ago, The PIT said:

Don't bank on it.

Yes, that's the problem these days, isn't it...! Hot temperatures seem to be on offer anytime for early May to early October...and that's still not enough for some of the heat-fiends! To be fair, when I was growing up/ a young man, cool-ish temperatures could be fairly reliably found for longer. Seems to have flipped!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

So glad to be on the correct side of the front today. 15°C here - and overcast. Blissful.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.

It's been overcast here all day, not sure about the temprature but I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near 26C.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, S Bragg said:

It's been overcast here all day, not sure about the temprature but I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near 26C.

Mate I'm  baking ..it really is here(26c ) and I think thats  under cooking it tbh 

Could contain:

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
1 hour ago, TN9 said:

Mate I'm  baking ..it really is here(26c ) and I think thats  under cooking it tbh 

Could contain:

Ouch, not nice, I feel for you!

We're on the lucky side here in Solihull, no heat whatsoever. Sure, it's grey, but if the price of sunshine is 26c in mid-September...no thanks! Around 18-19c here atm. As I've said before, having 'normal' temperatures and sunshine seems to be a rare event these days, we just get heat and humidity instead. 

More seasonal weather for us all next week, it seems.

Edited by SollyOlly
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The reason is mainly for my garden as I have chronic fatigue, pain and poor mobility; I am unable to water my garden like used to. Living in the South East rain is less frequent in other areas.

• Like 4

Posted

Well another day dodging the 'heat" bullet on the Yorkshire Coast. Mainly overcast with low cloud and some sea fret. 17c

We went down to Beverley this morning and it felt significantly warmer and sun was out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

There is a chance of another warm spell at the end of the month but by then the sun will be a weak mess so we won't even notice it's 25c🥳

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
On 17/09/2023 at 13:52, lassie23 said:

There is a chance of another warm spell at the end of the month but by then the sun will be a weak mess so we won't even notice it's 25c🥳

I wouldn't be so confident 25c in late September will play out like that.  The recent heatwave had some very warm nights, and the longer nights, weaker sun and shorter days did nothing to mitigate them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yup warm to close out September perhaps a chance to break records again at the beginning of October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

ugh, but if we get storms, i'll be happy.

PS i want my  thread back next year! 😁

Edited by Dami
  • Like 4

Posted

So let me get this straight.. since July 2022

Warmest July day on record last year.

3rd warmest August last year.

One of the warmest November's on record last year.

One of the warmest February's on record.

Warmest June on record.

and now potentially the warmest September on record..I give up 😂

Not to mention June 2023, July 2022, August 2022 would've been the warmest summer on record.. 

Here's to the coldest October-March period on record (it will never happen).

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Frigid said:

So let me get this straight.. since July 2022

Warmest July day on record last year.

3rd warmest August last year.

One of the warmest November's on record last year.

One of the warmest February's on record.

Warmest June on record.

and now potentially the warmest September on record..I give up 😂

Not to mention June 2023, July 2022, August 2022 would've been the warmest summer on record.. 

Here's to the coldest October-March period on record (it will never happen).

This is why I was so thrilled with this summer overall (shame September had to spoil it) - the trend is clear and I dread future summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
On 17/09/2023 at 13:52, lassie23 said:

Totally agree Lass.

Time is now on the side of the Heat Haters Club.

Liking this headline on the Met Office website:

NEWS

Awakening Atlantic heralds autumn’s arrival. 

What a strange few Months it's been.

Really feared the worst after that record breaking June but as was often explained on TV forecasts, during the majority of July/August  we found ourselves on the cool, northern side of the Jet Stream and trapping all that horrendous heat over Southern Europe.

We can partially thank the Azores High, for the above. Below, were the sort of Synoptic charts we witnessed during July/August:

image.thumb.png.1294203c18d600e99af6fc2b521950cc.png   /  image.thumb.png.8ffc67a5ed49d736ed516d09b8d2a17a.png

It was only when the Azores High decided to leave home and migrate N.E., in September, that we then tapped into  that horrendous heat over Southern Europe.

image.thumb.png.2eb85c8d4e5767782ad43751abe057f4.png

Cold/Snow lovers will now be hoping that the Azores High takes a well deserved Winter holiday.

I wonder what the October Fog Index will come up with, Lass?

Not long to wait.

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

As a result of ongoing issues this thread is now locked.

Sadly – despite team requests and the message at the top of every page - there have been too many posts being made in here that are either intolerant or goading those of a different preference.

In due course the team will re-launch the clubs but in the Groups area of the forum where membership will be subject to approval and there will be a zero tolerance approach to further offences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1