Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I looked on the Wunderground weather website for the weather forecast tomorrow.  It says that there will be 70% chance of rain.  I would be more confident of rain, if the precipitation rate was 80% and higher.  I find that if the percentage is lower than 80%, there is little chance of it happening. I hope that the forecast changes to a higher percentage.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

After feeling fresher earlier, now feels humid again and back to sweating!!  Hate it! 🥵 😬

I was just thinking the same thing. It's currently 20.6c outside this evening after a high today of 24.3c. I thought the temperature would drop quicker this evening. Still 24.7c in the lounge. Humidity 77%. Just yuck.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, chilly milly said:

I was just thinking the same thing. It's currently 20.6c outside this evening after a high today of 24.3c. I thought the temperature would drop quicker this evening. Still 24.7c in the lounge. Humidity 77%. Just yuck.

No such luck! 🙄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
22 minutes ago, MattH said:

Ahh the coolness, the freshness!...

Extremes of weather are always interesting, as was the longevity of the omega block that helped dominate the significant heat, but what made this more difficult to 'take' was the time of year. While, as an equivalent, early March can still bring late winter weather, early September can still be like late summer, but it just never 'feels' right to me to get that kind of synoptic and heat in September, whether it's the opening week or the last week. Clearly, the longevity of the hot weather was extreme and, without question, that spell last week wouldn't have looked out of place in mid-summer...

It was, to an extent nice to enjoy after July and August, but without question, as ever, heat is just harder to deal with than cold, IMO - Far easier to get yourself warmer, than colder and all that, plus like many on this thread I'm just not a fan of that kind of heat, or should I say the humidity, in particular. Heat and sunshine (like June which was stunning!) are absolutely fine, late summer synoptics often bring the dreaded, horrendous humidity as did this past week.

Now a case of good riddance, interesting of course, but good riddance....it's now time for the 'best' 6 months of the year!

Matt.

Absolutely yes, the rain thundering down woke me this morning and it was lovely to hear and know I won’t need to rescue wilting plants today.  Sitting in the conservatory now with the door open and the cool air flowing over me is so much better than being smothered by stagnant hot air.  Long may it continue.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A very good Morning, all.

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

As has been stated above, fresher air does seem to be dragging it's heels in getting to all parts of the Country.

But hang in there heat haters, that fresher air will eventually arrive behind that front as it clears S,E. into mainland Europe.

image.thumb.png.2121a156249103eb8a646dd4c5e9ccc5.png

Yes the Cavalry is arriving from the N.W. to drive the Infidels of Summer, back where they belong.

Apologies for that strange rant but I think the heat/humidity of  S.E. London has finally got to me and it's not quite time for my medication, yet.

I see there  are rumours of yet another burst of unwanted heat/humidity from the S.E., for the Weekend:

image.thumb.png.823f6ba17be4d3695aec7b5132548c1e.png

But I wouldn't be too concerned my heat/humidity friends, time is now on our side.

Daylight is shortening, Nights are lengthening and with that the angle of the Sun is nowhere near as it was a few Weeks ago.

QUOTE - Chris J

“Started with another heat related symptom today, an intensely itchy patch of skin behind my knee. Not sure if its related to irritation from the fluid inside the swollen leg or some sort of heat / sweat rash but its doing my head in. Sat here with it covered in pink calamine lotion like i've got the pox... “'

I've been meaning to respond to your post Chris, as it struck a chord with me.

During the blistering Summer of 2018, I had a similar experience.

I suddenly developed a very swollen left ankle, which became twice the size of my right one.

You could actually see fluid “sloshing“ about under the skin, close to my left ankle. 

Fortunately my Wife was on the ball and whisked me straight off to the Urgent Care Dept. [Casualty] of nearby St. Mary's, Sidcup.

Colette was worried that I was about to have another Stroke, similar to the one I experienced in September 2015.

Eventually I was seen by a Doctor. My B.P. readings were normal and the Doctor informed me, that I was suffering from Heat Exhaustion.

When I said I hadn't even been out in the Sun, he said you don't need to have been. 

You can experience  Heat Exhaustion if you are living in a property that is excessively warm during the Day and doesn't cool down sufficiently enough, at Night.

The condition caused my body to retain fluid.

The Doctor sent me home, with the following advice -

Keep the affected ankle in a raised position, at a level just above my heart, drink plenty of water and the swelling should soon go down.

This is exactly what happened and within 24 hours, my ankle had returned to its normal size.

But as ALEXISJ9 suggests further down that page, you need to keep an eye on that. 

Speaking of Alexis, if you read this post Alexis, have you been wondering what Croydon must have felt like, during the past Week??

It must have been horrendous there. The Town is a mass of concrete, glass, high rise buildings andr traffic.   

I know you used to live inn that area, Alexis. I worked a little outside of he shopping centre, in Laud Street.

I vividly remember going for a walk during my Lunch break. I was blisteringly hot, with quite a strong  wind blowing, which was accentuated by the height the buildings. Ig was akin to having your face blasted, by  hot hair dyer.

I can remember the sky being full of “'Jelly Fish“' clouds, like the ones, below:  

image.png.e16ecdd8fe1e466aa4ad7573a39e7aae.png

The new Croydon Tram system had not been in operation for long and for some strange reason, the carriages had no  windows that you could open. The only ventilation coming when the doors opened to let passengers ,on and off.

At the time, I was using the Tram frequently between, Beckenham Junction and George Street.

I would often arrive at work, drenched in sweat. Yuk!!

Whilst I've been typing this post the Cavalry has been moving ever South Eastwards.

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 5

Posted

Well the heat finally seems to have relented here. Its been a wet day, but temperature now down to 15c. My only concern now is that there appears to be a possible spike in temperatures next weekend. Not what I wanted to hear, last Saturdays plans were abandoned and moved to this coming Saturday owing to the heatwave.

Our holidays are coming up at the start of October, a week in Paris. Currently temperatures are way too hot for us in France, but in past years 1st week October has been survivable, however this year seems to be another exceptional year (i.e. the new normal?) so I am wondering what we will get. Any European travel southwards is always a balancing act between daylight hours and miserable temperatures. Obviously a hot beach holiday isnt our cup of tea, apart from being heat haters we like to explore, look, hear and experience, I can go to Bridlington Beach 5 miles away if I want sand, or Reighton gap a similar distance the other way. Because we live in rural area some big city experiences make a nice change, but not if they come with HEAT.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Grey, gloomy and a bit of rain around (I'm back in Solihull today...the M1 was wet!) - but the temperature today is just gorgeous, I'm sitting working with the window open and am getting lovely wafts of cool, clean(ish!) air...what a delight today is. Sure, if we could get some pretty sunshine and this temperature, that would be ideal - but it seems that's impossible these days, we just get blasted with unfathomable heat! Anyway...today feels much, much more comfortable. I hope that it's the same or similar for others, too.

Enjoy your hols when they come Mike, we're the same, we like an active, exploring holiday. Mrs SollyOlly lived in Paris for a while when she was young, says that October time can be very nice indeed. Admittedly, that was about 30 years ago though, the climate has warmed/ changed a lot since then!

• Like 6

Update: I've recently read an article that mentions that due to this strange weather, etc. Seasons may last longer. This means that the transition of autumn may last longer than usual. Meaning we will see the autumn colors for much longer & the transition will be very noticeable. I really love this! :')

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, SakuraOwl said:

Meaning we will see the autumn colors for much longer & the transition will be very noticeable.

Got me thinking, because I experienced 'fall' in Pennsylvania in the USA one year, and their autumn colours are far more vivid than ours. The part of the state I was in, the Poconos is very well wooded, but the colours just seemed more vivid.

Anyway I found this article on line which does explain the process

WWW.KEW.ORG

Chris Clennett, Garden Manager at Wakehurst, reveals why and how leaves change colour in autumn.

And my take away is that a more continental climate will produce brighter colours, i.e. warm temps followed by a sudden switch to cold. On the other hand a slow transition with no proper cold prodeces less colour variation but the colours last longer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A very good Morning to all, fellow "Heat Haters."

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

What a relief to come downstairs and not have to "whack" our fan straight on , in our East facing Lounge.

Even our West facing Kitchen felt more comfortable than it has done, for an age.  

The Kitchen becomes unbearable after Days of Sun in the Afternoon/Early Evening .

And what a great set of graphs these are below. Definitely a "sight for sore eyes" for a  "Heat Hater", like myself.

These were the recent readings from nearby, London City Airport.

Temperature/Relative Humidity/Humidity Index, all on the way down: 

image.thumb.png.44fb86d4cd782b3ad88b00ccf1eedb4c.png image.thumb.png.86e92c921dfc1c8fbdc994aad600ad63.png image.thumb.png.01e91f13d0c3cf73a2e736f3e9e8d46e.png

Although we still needed 2 of our Bedroom fans running, overnight.

As has been mentioned by some above, our House also takes an age to cool down, after a period of excessively high temperatures.

This is exacerbated by any use of our Oven, which is why my Wife has kept Oven usage to a minimum and has used our Microwave, much more than is normally the case.

Although according to the Met Office, heat/humidity isn't quite done with yet 

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

"Remaining changeable with further spells of rain on Friday. Turning warmer and humid again in the southeast on Saturday with a risk of thunderstorms. Further rain and thunder on Sunday."

And the following, for the second half of September:

"This warm air and risk of thunderstorms may extend further north for a time before a frontal zone sweeps southeast across the UK at the start of next week, bringing further rain and perhaps some strong winds to many, but also re-introducing fresher and drier conditions. Temperatures generally warmer than average in the south especially, where it is likely to feel humid. Fresher across the far north and northwest, these conditions eventually extending further south and east."

After that record breaking June, I really feared the worst for the rest of Summer but felt we really dodged a bullet, in July and August.

Think we've been very lucky. Had the past Week's heat and humidity occurred a Month ago, I feel we would've have breached 40C. 

If Climate Change results in the U.K. being on the northern side of the Jet Stream for 2 Months of the Summer, as far as I'm concerned, "bring it on"!! 

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍  

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

If Climate Change results in the U.K. being on the northern side of the Jet Stream for 2 Months of the Summer, as far as I'm concerned, "bring it on"!! 

I think the postion of the jet stream with respect to the UK is crucial for the impact of climate change. The meandering 'Omega block' is probably the worst outcome for heat haters as it bottles up the heat and humidity, and the resulting anti cyclone with decending air further adds to the heat, what we now see described as a heat dome.

Another unknown is the Gulf Stream, without it our climate would be similar to that experienced in Northern British Columbia.

Apart from the fact that the highest temperatures experienced during summer have increased more quickly than average temperature the other change that seems to be occuring is an increase in blocking patterns.

Take the recent heatwave, it was was much slower to move away than first forecast, and models seem to underestimate temperatures on the whole. So we are in a time of change, and probably not for the better as far as the residents of this thread are concerned.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Some more warmth coming GFS and ECM have it from Friday while UKMO a bit slower. Nothing like what we had but still we be uncomfortable for you some in SE at night again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Felt quite nippy this morning as I walked the dogs. Lovely!

• Like 3

Posted

After a lovely chilly start with a bit of grass mist, it’s been a horrible 25.7c here today. 

Looking forward to next week

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
36 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

After a lovely chilly start with a bit of grass mist, it’s been a horrible 25.7c here today. 

Looking forward to next week

Oh, that sounds challenging...nice start, shame about the rise!

Lucky here in the West Midlands today, almost the 'perfect' autumn day: gentle sun, clear-ish skies, and temperature no higher than 20c at most for us, a little lower mostly. Looks as though the weekend might bring some heat to the poor souls down in the South, atm my weather app suggests that we'll get away with it in the Midlands. One thing to keep me sane...remembering what it was like this time last week! Compared to that - this is excellent!

Looks as though we may all get something a bit more seasonal next week.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes pleasant here to at 22.3C felt warmer in the sun though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I am looking forward to the rain on Sunday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

I am looking forward to the rain on Sunday.

was just about to suggest, can't we have a rain haters club, I'd be the main hater probably

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

last day of heat tomorrow until next May👍

Don't bank on it.

Posted

Temperatures on the Yorkshire Coast have been reasonable today, around 19c, but yet again humidity is the problem with dewpoints around 16c. I managed to do the jobs today that got left last weekend, the hottest one being cutting the grass. Just wish we could be done with 'summer" now.

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

was just about to suggest, can't we have a rain haters club, I'd be the main hater probably

i will join you!

• Thanks 1