Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Posted

Well tomorrow's temps here have been upgraded from 24c to 26c on the Met Office app, only lagging about 2c below those forecasted for London.

Unbroken Sun here today. Currently spending today in Hibernation.

Edited by Chris J

Posted
1 hour ago, Chris J said:

Well tomorrow's temps here have been upgraded from 24c to 26c on the Met Office app, only lagging about 2c below those forecasted for London.

Unbroken Sun here today. Currently spending today in Hibernation.

That's why I ignore their forecasts. They always do the same

Posted

Hottest day of the year so far here. Forecast for midweek is cooler here as easterly will kick in, but then turning unpleasant again on Friday with heat and humidity. Had hoped we had seen the last of the hot weather this year.

Hopefully that's it, but not enjoying the new normal climate.

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, mike57 said:

Hottest day of the year so far here. Forecast for midweek is cooler here as easterly will kick in, but then turning unpleasant again on Friday with heat and humidity. Had hoped we had seen the last of the hot weather this year.

Hopefully that's it, but not enjoying the new normal climate.

To be fair as far as I know, this is due to hurricane Franklin. Had that not happened, we'd probably been off the hook.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, The PIT said:

Dunno what charts you two were looking at but definite downgrades and GFS the hottest of the three. You need to look at 850's and the 20's now only brush the fatr south and south east where previously they were much further north on the UKMO. Same with the ECM. GFS has now done another run since I last looked and I haven't looked at the latest.

Oh, I assumed down grade meant the a low pressure was arriving at some point earlier than before. The opposite seems to be true there, but I won't moan about lower 850s. That's probably going to be a good thing going forward, stopping temps getting to high, but we'll see I guess.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Upgrade or extend with heat, downgrade and reduce with cold. Not really fair is it?

The GFS 6z pushes the goalposts again. Even if it breaks, the heat never leaves Europe.

Always makes me wonder that if that landmass wasnt there, would we still be able to import hot air from the south? Can HP settle over water?

UKV tends to get the temps pretty much right and it's around the same as what the GFS is showing. Seems to have lost its underestimation issue with the last upgrade. ECM and UKMO especially still undercook though

It sure can, the Azores high is more or less a perminant fixture over the Atlantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

And so it starts. We were lucky enough to get some cloud cover earlier to keep a lid on the temperature, but now it's hot. This is going to be a challenging week. My own health condition tends to get bad with a prolonged period of heat, and this week might do it. Gonna have to hang in this week...and hope that there's no more after this spell. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Dreading this week, one site i know very well just south of Croydon will be literally hell on earth, kit will be cutting out again, not able to condense and temps pushing the high 40's with full humidity. Won't be there for long, nether will the nurses!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well expecting a possible new record high Wednesday to Friday and even again next week.  Hopefully UKMO and ECM will show an end to it.

Some tropical nights on the cards as well midweek onwards.

UKMO hints of it cooling down over the weekend unlike the GFS casting vote the ECM then.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A horrific spell upcoming, especially from Wednesday when we slowly lose pressure without wind and increase humidity. 

• Like 8

23c here today, already down to 17c outside and the house is at 19c. The loss of power in the sun is noticeable. Still warmer than I would like but I can cope with this.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Tidal Wave said:

already down to 17c

Dropped away to 16c here now from 25c this afternoon, with a very light onshore E breeze. I think later in the week the humidity will make evenings/nights unpleasant

• Like 4

Posted

Peaked at 24.7c here today. Felt warmer. Currently 22.9c in the lounge. Bedroom was at 25.1c at 8pm this evening. Hopefully temps will drop away quickly indoors now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Been a very pleasant spell so far (though it will get warmer).

Hasn't felt stifling during the day (despite temperatures upper mid 20s) and it's cooled nicely at night (even below the GFS prognosis). 13C as I type.

Lovely and fresh in my room tonight despite a hot day with a lot of sunshine.

Really think some are going overboard with the fear for this spell.

7 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

Still warmer than I would like but I can cope with this.

Exactly, people are acting like it's still July.

It's the potency of the sun that I struggle with in mid-summer, not the temperature per se.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Been a very pleasant spell so far (though it will get warmer).

Hasn't felt stifling during the day (despite temperatures upper mid 20s) and it's cooled nicely at night (even below the GFS prognosis). 13C as I type.

Lovely and fresh in my room tonight despite a hot day with a lot of sunshine.

Really think some are going overboard with the fear for this spell.

Could definitely be much worse I think. Parts of France climbing into the mid 30s everyday this week, high 30s tomorrow in a few parts and staying in the low 20s at night. Basically an August 2003 but a September version.

Much more pleasant for us in England, but by day could get a bit hot for some more affected / annoyed by heat on Weds/Thurs.

It's more the longevity of this spell which I find interesting especially in September, as it's not the usual 2 day plume setups this time, compared to what we've had a lot of recently.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Could definitely be much worse I think. Parts of France climbing into the mid 30s everyday this week, high 30s tomorrow in a few parts and staying in the low 20s at night. Basically an August 2003 but a September version.

Much more pleasant for us in England, but by day could get a bit hot for some more affected / annoyed by heat on Weds/Thurs.

It's more the longevity of this spell which I find interesting especially in September, as it's not the usual 2 day plume setups this time, compared to what we've had a lot of recently.

Had this spell happened in July we'd have been looking at 40C, without doubt. It's a relief it has happened now to be honest.

The models so far seem to be underestimating maxima by a degree or so and over estimating the night time minima...which I guess is to be expected. I'm glad it's that way round though.

Metoffice automated had me down as a 16C min tonight and has corrected to 13C now. That's a big difference but is what I expected as I said in the MOD thread the other day. Fairly confident there won't be tropical nights outside of London and its UHI effect. 17-19C will feel warm enough elsewhere though.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Not too bad overnight up here. I was out in the garden yesterday afternoon and it was hovering around 27C and still pretty bearable. The intensity of the sun isn't the same, sat under shade and it was pretty pleasant. Up at 3.30am this morning and the temperature was back down to 13.3C indoors. Longer nights are a factor now. It's the overnight humidity that I can't cope with in any hot spell and this feels fine at the moment. Not sure about later in the week and it might be more difficult for the those located further south but for me so far this is quite bearable.

Edited by wrightc23

Posted
17 minutes ago, wrightc23 said:

Not too bad overnight up here. I was out in the garden yesterday afternoon and it was hovering around 27C and still pretty bearable. The intensity of the sun isn't the same, sat under shade and it was pretty pleasant. Up at 3.30am this morning and the temperature was back down to 13.3C indoors. Longer nights are a factor now. It's the overnight humidity that I can't cope with in any hot spell and this feels fine at the moment. Not sure about later in the week and it might be more difficult for the those located further south but for me so far this is quite bearable.

It's because in midsummer you have a mix of high intensity sunshine which heats up the interior of the house very quickly, barely any night time and a high ambient outside temperature.

Now, we may get a highish outside ambient temperature but we don't have the blazing sun for 15 hours a day, which helps to keep things cooler indoors.

Wednesday night may be the warmest night, possibly holding up around 18C...but if the house hasn't heated up too much during the day then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted

Cooled down more than I expected last night, early start this morning as I am in the NW today. On the way to the station in the car the outside temperature was hovering around 10c. Whilst I know they are not very reliable it felt about right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A nice night temperature which allowed me to cool the house down. Temps gone up more than three degrees in the last hour which is impressive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Yep, agree with others. Thus far - bearable. I am really noticing not only the strength of the sun, but in my specific location of our house, the angle of the sun too - we're not exposed to the blasting glare for up to 15hrs, the shade and shadows are helping. Lounge was down to 20.7c when I left this morning, and considering in really hot spells I come down to 24c+, I'll take that. As I and others have said elsewhere, it's the cumulative effect of heat massing inside the house that can be a real problem in high summer. Anyway, so far, so good...sure, this week looks pretty difficult. But one day at a time...! And nice cool, fresh air earlier this morning.

Keep well folks - !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It'll be quite nice today and tomorrow as the humidity is at sensible levels. From Weds, it'll be notably different as the humidity is in the 70's and higher.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Thankfull in one way that this spell is happening now rather then summer/ peak summer. Feels like we dodged a bullet in that regard this year. 

• Like 3