Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

All we wanted was the water part of a storm 🌧️ - Light drizzle here - Hope you guys and gals are enjoying ⛈️ but are safe up north of here 🦺 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

To be fair to the forecast (and storms are nearly as hard to forecast as snow) I was in a 60% chance of a storm, poss severe today. I’m having a mild one atm with some thunder. Last Monday was the same forecast. Had severe rain/hail with flash floods, roads had bad problems in the aftermath, many houses were flooded - beforehand there was constant thunder for 30 mins. My daughter witnessed a house being struck by lightning and catching fire (everyone was safe). There are decent storms around (and yeah I guess I’d like those). I’ve seen a picture on this thread showing some pretty bad flooding in a garden, and it’s been mentioned elsewhere as well. So I reckon the ‘risk’ for a large area of England/wales was spot on personally, if I take my own disappointment for today out of the equation… 

Current radar with lightning. 

Could contain:

I understand that, but we had talk of supercells, MCS's and a significant event on pretty much every forecast. It was nowhere near that. Of course its hard and yes some people will have had some bad weather (or good depending on what you like) but its really not the event that was predicted. I had to cancel a BBQ today because of the forecast and it turned out fine up here apart from a 10 min light shower. I dont want to be accused of 'throwing my toys out the pram' as somebody else has said so I'll stop now lol

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Based on radar, this could be every bit as good as forecast. T-1 hour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
2 minutes ago, Pixel said:

All we wanted was the water part of a storm 🌧️ - Light drizzle here - Hope you guys and gals are enjoying ⛈️ but are safe up north of here 🦺 

Light drizzle? Personally I think you're being spoilt 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

To be fair to the forecast (and storms are nearly as hard to forecast as snow) I was in a 60% chance of a storm, poss severe today. I’m having a mild one atm with some thunder. Last Monday was the same forecast. Had severe rain/hail with flash floods, roads had bad problems in the aftermath, many houses were flooded - beforehand there was constant thunder for 30 mins. My daughter witnessed a house being struck by lightning and catching fire (everyone was safe). There are decent storms around (and yeah I guess I’d like those). I’ve seen a picture on this thread showing some pretty bad flooding in a garden, and it’s been mentioned elsewhere as well. So I reckon the ‘risk’ for a large area of England/wales was spot on personally, if I take my own disappointment for today out of the equation… 

Current radar with lightning. 

Could contain:

I do think people expect far too much with these warnings. I'm lucky enough here today with the two storms so far but it's not always like that, even in the higher risk area. The NW, including Azure's area has done fine recently, some parts even better than that. It's in the nature of thunderstorms to be unpredictable, wonderful and maddening in equal measure. It's one reason why they're so captivating!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

2 more rumbles of thunder this evening now. Not a great structure fest but a storm fest for me nonetheless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Heavy rain and very loud thunder here heading to Chesterfield 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

I do think people expect far too much with these warnings. I'm lucky enough here today with the two storms so far but it's not always like that, even in the higher risk area. The NW, including Azure's area has done fine recently, some parts even better than that. It's in the nature of thunderstorms to be unpredictable, wonderful and maddening in equal measure. It's one reason why they're so captivating!

we had a good storm last Sunday but that was the only one in 3 years...even though the NW has done well locally my town has not....i agree with your point though. Just annoying when I cancel plans because of forecasts and it turns out to be a lovely day.

• Like 2

Posted

Just seen a few flashes on the Sheffield webcam

social1680.jpg
WWW.SKYLINEWEBCAMS.COM

Panoramic view of Sheffield from Wincobank Live cam

Posted

Edgbaston has done really well out of this sctually. Looks to have been some decent storms and showers about.

Meanwhile, the humidity is increasing here and it feels thundery again.

• Like 8

Absolutely torrential here, we're really making up for the lack of rain today! Regular thunder still. Gusty winds too now.

Edited by Steel City Skies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Rubbish day here. Pretty much missed all the action by a few miles.

Screenshot2023-06-18181825.thumb.png.b2623b37fe01ad1f63aa4c2c4cc31c81.png

• Like 1

Posted

little bit of light steady rain last 10 mins or so....enough to wet the ground, hardly any thunder apart from a few distant rumbles earlier and a pretty good day up here despite the warnings...i cancelled a family bbq because of the forecast when i probably didnt need to but its fine, one of those things. You just dont know with storms. Beautiful smell of petrichor and a lot fresher now with the light rain

Posted

Just saw a flash I'm pretty sure. Or something happened then I looked and lightning showed up and I heard a distant rumble of thunder. I think the southeast might be in for something tonight. Forecast coming soon.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Snowshine said:

Rubbish day here. Pretty much missed all the action by a few miles.

Screenshot2023-06-18181825.thumb.png.b2623b37fe01ad1f63aa4c2c4cc31c81.png

yea Shropshire, Cheshire and Worcestershire missed out on most of it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

I still have some hope for this mass of heavy rain to reignite 🤞

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything
25 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I've nothing to complain about really, had a good storm last night, was expecting heavy thundery rain today, got light patchy stand in the garden to keep cool and watch the wildlife rain instead. Couldn't do the latter with the fore ast conditions. Mind you still time for heavy stuff to appear.

I'm not sure what we got here in Margate last night.  I fell asleep..  been hoping we might be in for at least one storm today,  but I think that chance had gone out of the window.. I would just welcome some heavy rain though as it might make it feel less muggy 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
7 minutes ago, Azuremoon2 said:

I understand that, but we had talk of supercells, MCS's and a significant event on pretty much every forecast. It was nowhere near that. Of course its hard and yes some people will have had some bad weather (or good depending on what you like) but its really not the event that was predicted. I had to cancel a BBQ today because of the forecast and it turned out fine up here apart from a 10 min light shower. I dont want to be accused of 'throwing my toys out the pram' as somebody else has said so I'll stop now lol

Hey man, I wasn’t accusing you of ‘toy throwing’ just to be clear… just giving another perspective! I hope you get a cracker of storm in the near future… sometimes I think the ‘magic’ of a storm happening has been diminished somewhat because of all the info we have at hand. That said the best lightning storm I’ve witnessed (2020? ) which happened around midnight, I did stay up for because of the radar! I may have missed most of it otherwise. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Typical. Seems were just in for rain. Most storms are east and west of us 

Maybe we'll be in luck yet. It seems Scunthorpe is also in the path of that storm free zone too.

Untitled.thumb.png.d27d04c4957b78148b304ef5f2bcac62.png

This area to the south has seen precipitation activity start up recently. Maybe the next burst of storm development is taking place here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Stopped at the daughters house on the way home, just North of Rugby and had the strange experience of a thunderstorm approaching, then switching off and reorganizing as it passed over, then starting again to the North 10 minutes later. The ground wasnt even damp, the new spots just evaporating

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 6