Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Heat

Well there is some potential today in Lincoln for something big this afternoon. Need this band of rain to move through and that strong June sunshine to work some magic. 

Question? How come Storms like the ones we are seeing this morning associated with a large area of rain always seem to contain more powerful lightning strikes and louder thunder? Apologies if that’s a silly question but genuinely curious.

• Like 1

Posted

Didn’t realise anything was forecast.

got woken up at some point by one loud crack of thunder and then heavy rain.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well further east after all...couple of cracks of feint thunder here but just geateful for the rain to be honest...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Jeffers146 said:

Well there is some potential today in Lincoln for something big this afternoon. Need this band of rain to move through and that strong June sunshine to work some magic. 

Question? How come Storms like the ones we are seeing this morning associated with a large area of rain always seem to contain more powerful lightning strikes and louder thunder? Apologies if that’s a silly question but genuinely curious.

Have long thought the same thing. My punt is it is because you have a build up of charge spread over a broader area rather than in a smaller area. So when it collects and builds to the point it discharges, the whole lot goes (bit like a larger powder keg). So, you get fewer flashes, but more powerful ones spread over a great distance. Certainly what’s it’s seemed like here this morning.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Latest from Dan. 

CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Storm arrived at 6.45am. Not particularly potent/active but very HEAVY rain (and when I say heavy I mean monsoon style!). I'm at Crayford now and it's still going with the occasional flash and bang. Again though, it's all in cloud (seems to be a re-occurring theme this year 🤔?). Absolutely loving the rain though and the cooler conditions. Hope it stays cool today now and that blasted sun doesn't come out. 👎

image.thumb.png.294050147beec17ced1b1fa31cd50c32.png

Wow!

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Storm arrived at 6.45am. Not particularly potent/active but very HEAVY rain (and when I say heavy I mean monsoon style!). I'm at Crayford now and it's still going with the occasional flash and bang. Again though, it's all in cloud (seems to be a re-occurring theme this year 🤔?). Absolutely loving the rain though and the cooler conditions. Hope it stays cool today now and that blasted sun doesn't come out. 👎

image.thumb.png.294050147beec17ced1b1fa31cd50c32.png

Wow!

The ‘blasted sun’ will help build more storms

Posted

Quite a pokey little cell on the back end of the frontal rain in luton. Couple of flashes a minute and loud shotgun thunder! Nice suprise for this morning. I think east Essex north Kent will have a cracker ! And as mentioned as the day warms could help them strengthen momentarily as it moves north north east !

love a suprise it feels so fresh today 🙂

Posted

We are doing terrible for storms in south east wales in the last few years just want a decent storm but don’t seem to get them like we use to few years back 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

IMG_4779.thumb.jpeg.5cac56ecc918abfcc16432512aef67b2.jpeg

Can tell it’s nasty from here

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

The ‘blasted sun’ will help build more storms

Yes but I'm fed of up being boiling hot so it can bugger off for today!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning

Thunder for breakfast in Bromley but it was the thundery rain kind. Nothing noteworthy apart from the same bright flash that Harry invariably saw. Hopefully there will be more in the southeast later today (?) .  I can't get to that stuff in Kent in time before it ends up in the sea.

The picture is of the system coming in at 4am. Granted I was facing the wrong side

Could contain:

Edited by Tamsin
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Woken up to a pretty active storm here this morning. Now I haven’t been checking the forecast as much as I normally would over the last few days, but I don’t really remember storms being mentioned for today.

Not complaining though, the thunder sounds great! 🙂 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just when I thought it was moving off, the most biblical downpour and a sudden burst of frequent lightning…blimey! Alleyway now under an inch of water!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Local businesses pumping water out of shops.

Local roads completely impassable 2 hrs after the rain

Could contain:

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Have long thought the same thing. My punt is it is because you have a build up of charge spread over a broader area rather than in a smaller area. So when it collects and builds to the point it discharges, the whole lot goes (bit like a larger powder keg). So, you get fewer flashes, but more powerful ones spread over a great distance. Certainly what’s it’s seemed like here this morning.

That certainly seemed the case around here at 05.30! Very interesting it’s happened elsewhere too.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice CG moments before I captured this, impressive rainfall tho! First CG of the year. Loud shotgun floor shaking thunder! Happy days. Needa clearing behind this which could help build sufficient surface heating for later on, but as always is usually followed by immense cloud ! I’m not moaning tho I’ve had my fix and welcome the sun back now 🙂

1500kj of cape sounds impressive but only if the sun can come out. Models did point to storms breaking out following this main band of dynamic rain, but now have given up on that idea, is this what we are getting now or is there more to follow 👀 time will tell! It’s so much fresher now tho, fresher than it has been for a while. Ps RIP the washing but I’m not getting soaked for no one 😂😂

• Like 5