Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Tornados and Windstsorms.

I saw a dark cloud coming towards my location and I seen the shelf cloud during my walks with the English bulldog.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Where are you positioned?

I was positioned just a couple of miles southeast of Scarborough. Probably a bit late for the answer now though 😁

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

Nice satellite view this evening, still a few agitated cumulus around though development chances likely decreasing as we lose surface heating.

Screenshot2023-06-25205753.thumb.png.bedbb0a57ed14e9428bf37b3e1e49a69.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

As I said! A too fast moving setup for this country. Saw many cells explode up and mature off by the time they left the country. A shame, but not expected. 

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

As I said! A too fast moving setup for this country. Saw many cells explode up and mature off by the time they left the country. A shame, but not expected. 

Let's be honest even those storms out in the north sea are nothing special. Very poor lightning output today from almost every storm..

Crazy how sometimes they are 60+/minute, then today 1-10/minute..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 minutes ago, WeatherArc said:

Nice satellite view this evening, still a few agitated cumulus around though development chances likely decreasing as we lose surface heating.

Screenshot2023-06-25205753.thumb.png.bedbb0a57ed14e9428bf37b3e1e49a69.png

can see cumulus tops to my north

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

That will be the storm that went from nothing to a torrential thundery cell over me in 30 minutes 

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Bang on, despite seeing some rapid convection and very threatening looking skies it all just shifted away far too quickly for anything severe to develop. 

I've noticed recently as well on net weather radar, no sign on hail anywhere! Used  to be lots of brown on rain/hail/snow radar with lots of lightening in some storms. Maybe the lack of hail, less friction is why we are seeing less lightening?

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Looks like something is forming here on North East Derbyshire border just gone out in the garden winds picked up and clouding over and gone dark to my south West. 

Scrap that it died  out as quickly as it formed disappointing day here. 

Edited by Derbyshire_snow
  • Like 1

Posted

@Joey.GII We were probably driving back at the same time, on the same roads 😁.

Nice account and I second your thoughts. A successful day's chasing but not as good as I'd hoped. Today had the makings of a memorable day, but it was not to be. But there were plenty of storms and where they were expected to be so I'm happy enough.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Already a better start to convection today 😂🤦🏻

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Wednesday night's cold front has caught my eye (probably out of storm-starved desperation more than anything!)

A few cherry-picked crumbs to go by on the models:

image.thumb.png.d79e441fc2608efdffb0dea246a1aa65.png

image.thumb.png.bf7c665a720b01ff1222beed090b6ab4.png

image.thumb.png.a1d169889e734b5f43ee4b3985d406b8.png

image.thumb.png.f4273c258537e090c0db8342a2ad033e.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
2 hours ago, ChannelThunder said:

Wednesday night's cold front has caught my eye (probably out of storm-starved desperation more than anything!)

A few cherry-picked crumbs to go by on the models:

image.thumb.png.d79e441fc2608efdffb0dea246a1aa65.png

image.thumb.png.bf7c665a720b01ff1222beed090b6ab4.png

image.thumb.png.a1d169889e734b5f43ee4b3985d406b8.png

image.thumb.png.f4273c258537e090c0db8342a2ad033e.png

It's nice to have something to pin our hopes on at least even if it doesn't come to anything, also I get feeling this season is going to throw up some real surprises.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Nowt here since last Tuesday, just boiling hot sun. 32c yesterday. 😡

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

No forecast today as Jay forgot and I'm not writing a discussion for at best a low end slight risk for us. That's why we're not the professionals 😂.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 7

Posted
4 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

Thunder/lightning at Aberdeen.  

Confirmed Bridge of Don.

• Like 1

Posted

We had a single rumble of thunder during a heavy shower this morning, there may have been more but I was inside. Been fine since then.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
15 hours ago, WeatherArc said:

Screenshot2023-06-26001111.thumb.png.841b21d54e2ceabfb9c50d943e2cf276.png

Good hodograph though, can see why supercells developed. Not much SRH though probably why the wall cloud that was spotted near York was struggling. EBWD near 40 kts though so would still favour supercells.

A few things to note;

1) A lot can hide in SRH, only use it if you're in a place without a sounding with a hodo available. Low SRH bt a large strewamwise vorticity current (so low but directional inflow) is much more likely than a large crosswise inflow layer (which has larger SRH) to produce a tornado. However, that theoretical crosswise would produce decent hail versus the large streamwise. However, that is because of the inflow layer, do not use vorticity to forecast hail. Updraft speed vs hail fall speed is a good idea to use. Updraft speed is calculated by doubling the CAPE then square rooting it. Then you can find a document online from one of the many with hail falling speed versus hail size. Do remember to factor in drag from wind and how big the inflow layer actually is.

2) To work out tornado formation versus wall cloud sitting I typically use a couple different things.

The lifted condensation level (LCL), streamwiseness of vorticity and the wind flow (I'll explain later). 3cape Is useful in certain situations as well.

LCL - A high LCL will mean that there is just a lot more shearing, vorticity and general energy needed to touch down. Even with very good background signals, there's very little you can do to counteract a high LCL.

Streamwise vorticity - First we have to understand what it is. Vorticity is the rolling in the atmosphere created by change of wind with height. The vector of the vorticity is perpendicular to the left of the shear vector (Cameron Nixon says).

The streamwiseness of vorticity. When the storm relative wind goes through the vorticity rather than across it, it 'induces' that SVC which increases tornadic potential. Look below for the through vs across.

screen-shot-2022-04-09-at-5_45.51-pm-1.thumb.png.3d7ba85f3b8355fd7a3b50c110914cfe.png

screen-shot-2022-04-09-at-5_46.06-pm.thumb.png.cdff8b3715db3b91141d97c2161133d2.png

Here's what I mean with SRH not always being a good idea.

screen-shot-2022-04-09-at-6_45.28-pm.thumb.png.174bd6be0f607fdc43f79313491cfcd5.png

Important to note that if crosswise vorticity has enough time it should be able to do what the streamwise vorticity could as well. Strong crosswise vorticity can help with anticipating a split along with the left mover and right mover bunkers. Which could help induce enough streamwiseness further along the line.

That's where parcel directed by wind flow comes in handy.

If the storm motion is parallel to the flow, then the storm will stay in the crosswise flow for long enough for enough strewamwiseness to build up. You only need to worry about that in crosswise vorticity situations. The more perpendicular to the flow, the less of that strewamwise can be built up.

Yesterday there were fairly high LCL's and it spears that the vorticity was fairly crosswise. Though storms stayed fairly parallel to the flow, the LCL and the vorticity angle meant that storms found it hard to get beyond the wall cloud stage I suspect.

If anyone wants to understand anything just ask, I've done my GCSE's and so have lots of free time now all of a sudden.

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers
27 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

A few things to note;

1) A lot can hide in SRH, only use it if you're in a place without a sounding with a hodo available. Low SRH bt a large strewamwise vorticity current (so low but directional inflow) is much more likely than a large crosswise inflow layer (which has larger SRH) to produce a tornado. However, that theoretical crosswise would produce decent hail versus the large streamwise. However, that is because of the inflow layer, do not use vorticity to forecast hail. Updraft speed vs hail fall speed is a good idea to use. Updraft speed is calculated by doubling the CAPE then square rooting it. Then you can find a document online from one of the many with hail falling speed versus hail size. Do remember to factor in drag from wind and how big the inflow layer actually is.

2) To work out tornado formation versus wall cloud sitting I typically use a couple different things.

The lifted condensation level (LCL), streamwiseness of vorticity and the wind flow (I'll explain later). 3cape Is useful in certain situations as well.

LCL - A high LCL will mean that there is just a lot more shearing, vorticity and general energy needed to touch down. Even with very good background signals, there's very little you can do to counteract a high LCL.

Streamwise vorticity - First we have to understand what it is. Vorticity is the rolling in the atmosphere created by change of wind with height. The vector of the vorticity is perpendicular to the left of the shear vector (Cameron Nixon says).

The streamwiseness of vorticity. When the storm relative wind goes through the vorticity rather than across it, it 'induces' that SVC which increases tornadic potential. Look below for the through vs across.

screen-shot-2022-04-09-at-5_45.51-pm-1.thumb.png.3d7ba85f3b8355fd7a3b50c110914cfe.png

screen-shot-2022-04-09-at-5_46.06-pm.thumb.png.cdff8b3715db3b91141d97c2161133d2.png

Here's what I mean with SRH not always being a good idea.

screen-shot-2022-04-09-at-6_45.28-pm.thumb.png.174bd6be0f607fdc43f79313491cfcd5.png

Important to note that if crosswise vorticity has enough time it should be able to do what the streamwise vorticity could as well. Strong crosswise vorticity can help with anticipating a split along with the left mover and right mover bunkers. Which could help induce enough streamwiseness further along the line.

That's where parcel directed by wind flow comes in handy.

If the storm motion is parallel to the flow, then the storm will stay in the crosswise flow for long enough for enough strewamwiseness to build up. You only need to worry about that in crosswise vorticity situations. The more perpendicular to the flow, the less of that strewamwise can be built up.

Yesterday there were fairly high LCL's and it spears that the vorticity was fairly crosswise. Though storms stayed fairly parallel to the flow, the LCL and the vorticity angle meant that storms found it hard to get beyond the wall cloud stage I suspect.

If anyone wants to understand anything just ask, I've done my GCSE's and so have lots of free time now all of a sudden.

Wow thanks, this is some rlly interesting stuff. Ive always struggled with streamwise/crosswise vorticity i know what they do/are but can never figure out how to spot it in a hodograph. That storm relative hodograph paper by Cameron Nixon is useful though, i've read through it a couple of times and its very helpful with working out things such as storm motion, large hail vs tor potential, deviant tor motion etc.

I just wish we could of had the cape of last week, lower LCLs and a bit more backing/veering of the low level winds but hopefully we can get a round two sometime mid-july.

Good luck with your results btw, i did mine last year so slightly jealous of you guys getting 2 months off 😂

• Like 1

Posted

Footage of the heavy showers and thunderstorms I saw and chased back on Thursday (June 22nd). Only just managed to get it edited and uploaded as was obviously out chasing all day yesterday. The footage from yesterday will be ready later in the week I expect.

• Like 8