Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

London has had nothing in terms of a good storm.

Just a few rumbles here and there. If this is it come September, it will be a poor year for storms in the London region.

London has had a good few storms in June I've seen some of my best cloud to cloud lightning storm though it was brief and we've had two-three days of storms very close together.

I don't know what you call a good storm but we had a lot of thunder, lightning and some hail that impacted the glasses to the point where it sounded like it cracked.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, WeatherWatchmanG said:

London has had a good few storms in June I've seen some of my best cloud to cloud lightning storm though it was brief and we've had two-three days of storms very close together.

I don't know what you call a good storm but we had a lot of thunder, lightning and some hail that impacted the glasses to the point where it sounded like it cracked.

I do keep an eye on storms over London and the point was made that Central London hadn't had any decent storms, which is correct. Noise pollution being what it is in the capital, you're unlikely to hear thunder that's 5 miles away especially during the day when lightning is less visible, so your experience of storms this year will differ greatly within a few miles. NW London had a corker a few weeks ago but my wife was working in Holborn and only heard a rumble. Those in Croydon, Bromley and Romford have also had good storms that would have gone totally unnoticed in Zones 1 and 2. 

London is roughly 30 miles across, has excessive noise and light pollution and is therefore not a great place for experiencing storms. 

• Like 8

Posted
8 hours ago, WeatherWatchmanG said:

A rumble or a couple of flashes doesn’t make for a good storm in my book.

I’m talking about a solid 30 minutes to 1 hour of constant thunder and lightning. 

I haven’t witnessed a massive London storm since May 2018.

• Like 3

Posted
34 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

I do keep an eye on storms over London and the point was made that Central London hadn't had any decent storms, which is correct. Noise pollution being what it is in the capital, you're unlikely to hear thunder that's 5 miles away especially during the day when lightning is less visible, so your experience of storms this year will differ greatly within a few miles. NW London had a corker a few weeks ago but my wife was working in Holborn and only heard a rumble. Those in Croydon, Bromley and Romford have also had good storms that would have gone totally unnoticed in Zones 1 and 2. 

London is roughly 30 miles across, has excessive noise and light pollution and is therefore not a great place for experiencing storms. 

Yeah, I work in central London and usually don’t hear much.

I did hear the thunder on one of those days in early May, and that lasted for about 20 minutes. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

UKV seems to have suddenly wiped out much of the rain potential early tomorrow, now showing a much narrower band of mostly moderate, showery outbreaks 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 4

Posted

WRF-NMM 5KM has increased the MUCAPE that will be travelling west to east across parts of central and southern England later tonight and breaks out some convective rain. Estofex also has a 15% lightning risk coinciding with the passage of the front. Still thinking there’s a small chance of surprise lightning for some.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Only 10 days late but thought I'd still post here! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Zak M said:

My chase on Sunday with @Finchilla and a few other friends turned out to be successful as we bagged a few storms.

I hate animal cruelty but I might have been inclined to silence that dog that kept barking in the first couple of mins 😫

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Low risk tonight but Jay hasn't been online all day for the map.

Posted
11 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

So BBC suggesting Thunderstorms in Pickering right now yet we just have drizzle, classic BBC weather 

It doesn’t surprise me to be honest (albeit clearly wrong lol). The skies around here have a convective look and we have had some very small convective style showers today. Also isn’t bad to hit circa 25C with leaden skies all day (until the past couple of hours). 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

It doesn’t surprise me to be honest (albeit clearly wrong lol). The skies around here have a convective look and we have had some very small convective style showers today. Also isn’t bad to hit circa 25C with leaden skies all day (until the past couple of hours). 

It does feel muggy and has that stormy look but yeah, just seems to be light/moderate showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Is anything supposed to develop front of the cold front today, sky is looking juicy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
5 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Sferics now in South Lincs. 

Watching that.. I'm in Skegness so hoping for a little surprise tonight, even if it's a low risk. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
1 hour ago, A.J said:

This day 11 years ago, a classic day for UK storm enthusiasts !

elevated storms fired up over the welsh marches  around breakfast swiftly turning into a MCS  which in turn tapped into the boundary layer becoming surface based as they swept through the midlands dropping fist sized hail and a large (by UK standards) tornado near Hinkley in Leic, as well as nr Sleaford (lincs) IIRC.... then moved up over northern england to give the NE some of their best storms in years, again IIRC the River Tyne bridge was struck by lightning !

I lived in Penkridge at the time and rmember the monster storms and the village being under water !

quick edit, there's hopefully still the storm threads in the NW archive as well as a thread I made specifically for this event

Could contain:

I remember that Mr Poolshark

Me and the missus turned the telly and  the lights off, and watched in ore at the constant flashes and cloud crawlers👍

You coudn`t stop talking about it for ages🤣

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
10 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Thunder heard to my SW. Knew I wasn’t imagining it! 

Doesn't look much on radar, must be quite elevated.  I wonder if there will be some developments further south. The North Sea is the lightning hotspot.

Edited by Sprites

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
11 minutes ago, Sprites said:

Doesn't look much on radar, must be quite elevated.  I wonder if there will be some developments further south. The North Sea is the lightning hotspot.

Looks just leaden grey!! I think it is probably elevated. Wondering if that front peps up and we see the odd spark tonight. I wouldn’t be surprised. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

image.thumb.png.0ec206c1fb6dd3d2133c3d1141441091.png

Lovelyy

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
35 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

A8C174E9-0588-47AC-8411-141489B77928.thumb.jpeg.3ed86e27f7ad9c508df7a62298195c6d.jpeg

Skies look surprisingly ripe here

Same here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, A.J said:

This day 11 years ago, a classic day for UK storm enthusiasts !

elevated storms fired up over the welsh marches  around breakfast swiftly turning into a MCS  which in turn tapped into the boundary layer becoming surface based as they swept through the midlands dropping fist sized hail and a large (by UK standards) tornado near Hinkley in Leic, as well as nr Sleaford (lincs) IIRC.... then moved up over northern england to give the NE some of their best storms in years, again IIRC the River Tyne bridge was struck by lightning !

I lived in Penkridge at the time and rmember the monster storms and the village being under water !

quick edit, there's hopefully still the storm threads in the NW archive as well as a thread I made specifically for this event

Could contain:

This was one of the most disappointing days of my life as a weather enthusiast in the UK as I watched two supercells go north and south of here.