Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bogeyman months/seasons

Catbrainz

Posted

Hopefully this doesn’t transpire, but I feel autumn and winter of 23 will be yucky if this El Niño takes hold.

September - Sunny and warm first half, cool and dull second half. Max temp 25c.

October - late warmth, first half 21-23c, then wet and cool second half. Max temp 23-24c.

November - dull and mild with temps mostly in the 12-15c category, with no frosts. Max temp in London will be 16-17c on one or two days.

December - very mild first half, with daytime temps around 13-15c and mostly cloudy with showers and longer spells of heavy rain.

Cooler second half with temps around 10-12c, but nothing cold enough for frosty conditions. Remaining dull and sunless until new year. Max temp will be 15-16c in the opening days.

Hope I’m wrong, but just have a feeling this is how the decline into the darker months will unfold once summer 23 is over.

We can come back to this thread by Christmas, but I see no chance of any real cold or anything close to seasonal until January 2024.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 12/07/2023 at 17:45, plymsunshine said:

Definitely! And a double whammy if it's as wet as all of those were. 2012 and 2020 were just as wet but saved by being a bit warmer.

Funny you should say this as Nov 2021 was one of my favourites! Dry throughout with cold sunny days at the end, and storm Arwen brought some interest. 2020 on the other hand was one of the most boring months I can remember

Apologies, I was meant to say 2020. My memory isn't all that good at the best of times. 😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

July is turning out to be a bogeyman month. And the summer as a whole will end up being a bogeyman season if August ends up being mediocre at best.

The two weeks of sunny warm weather we had in June won't be enough to save the summer. Two weeks out of twelve is very measly. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

July is turning out to be a bogeyman month. And the summer as a whole will end up being a bogeyman season if August ends up being mediocre at best.

The two weeks of sunny warm weather we had in June won't be enough to save the summer. Two weeks out of twelve is very measly. 

I would say having one of the greatest Junes ever to grace this country is enough to stop it becoming a bogeyman season as a whole, similar to 2010. I do agree this July is fast becoming one of the worst I can remember though!

• Like 2

Posted

Winter 13/14 was a horrific experience for me. I started a new driver/delivery job in November 2013, and within days of me starting the job, the heavens opened up and it didn't stop raining till March. I worked a lot of dark evenings and had to deal with floods and road closures on a daily basis, without knowing the expansive area I worked in, and having no clue about diversion routes I could use. 

If I remember correctly, it was immediately before the met off started naming storms. I believe we would have had 12 named storms that winter, it really was the worst possible season to be starting a job like this.

I got through it and nearly 10 years on I'm in the same job, working through all weathers, but nothing could be as bad as that first winter, a real baptism of fire that was. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, richie3846 said:

Winter 13/14 was a horrific experience for me. I started a new driver/delivery job in November 2013, and within days of me starting the job, the heavens opened up and it didn't stop raining till March. I worked a lot of dark evenings and had to deal with floods and road closures on a daily basis, without knowing the expansive area I worked in, and having no clue about diversion routes I could use. 

If I remember correctly, it was immediately before the met off started naming storms. I believe we would have had 12 named storms that winter, it really was the worst possible season to be starting a job like this.

I got through it and nearly 10 years on I'm in the same job, working through all weathers, but nothing could be as bad as that first winter, a real baptism of fire that was. 

That was one of the worst winters ever. It was consistently mild, but temps were generally 7-9C by day and 2-4C by night. Literally the worst of both worlds, no cold, but little 'mild' either. Then there was the rain, it was every day. Nothing else happened, little frost, no snow, no settled weather. I think it was probably the only winter almost universally hated. I like colder winters, but liked months like Feb 2019. 2013/14 had no redeeming features!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, reef said:

That was one of the worst winters ever. It was consistently mild, but temps were generally 7-9C by day and 2-4C by night. Literally the worst of both worlds, no cold, but little 'mild' either. Then there was the rain, it was every day. Nothing else happened, little frost, no snow, no settled weather. I think it was probably the only winter almost universally hated. I like colder winters, but liked months like Feb 2019. 2013/14 had no redeeming features!

There was one feature which made parts of it tolerable - sunny mild days sandwiched between the storms. The lack of any cold was crazy, really quite a remarkable winter in so many ways. One I'll never forget that's for sure. Oh wait, one other element I didn't hate was the lack of fog. Field fog late at night in the countryside is a real problem for driving down lanes, and that winter lacked it entirely. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

So out of boredom and sheer morbid curiosity I decided to collect Met Office data for Cardiff (The nearest to my location) using my bogeyman months and this abomination from the deep pits of hell came up. (I switched Nov 19 to Nov 15 seems memory isnt as objective as data :P).  No sunshine data for Cardiff but I would estimate 1100-1200 at the very most and likely triple digits. 

image.thumb.png.1e5a3c4bbb7a75347b40c94bc3a89a6e.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
17 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

So out of boredom and sheer morbid curiosity I decided to collect Met Office data for Cardiff (The nearest to my location) using my bogeyman months and this abomination from the deep pits of hell came up. (I switched Nov 19 to Nov 15 seems memory isnt as objective as data :P).  No sunshine data for Cardiff but I would estimate 1100-1200 at the very most and likely triple digits. 

image.thumb.png.1e5a3c4bbb7a75347b40c94bc3a89a6e.png

Over 2000mm of rain haha! December minimum higher than the May minimum! What a freak and vile year from Hell that would be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
48 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Over 2000mm of rain haha! December minimum higher than the May minimum! What a freak and vile year from Hell that would be!

And that's just post 2010 years  I am sure if I went back to when records first started from the Met I could create a year even more vile and sickening than this lol

• Like 2

Posted
On 17/07/2023 at 19:53, hillbilly said:

Those are tropical figures compared to here in the Pennines

September 2000 average temp 13.8 deg,140mm rain,96 hours sun

September 2001 12.8 deg,80mm rain,79 hours sun

September 1986 Average 11.05 deg,yes,11.05 deg, 7mm rain,167 hours sun

Never knew Sep 1986 was so dry, given it's one of the coldest in the last 100 years. Guess it's a similar story with April 2021

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
On 20/07/2023 at 16:03, SunSean said:

December minimum higher than the May minimum!

I think this actually happened in 2015 unbelievably!

• Like 1

Posted

July 2023.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Posted

Each period lasting at least 3 weeks

March and July 2023 (Both were dull and wet, no redeeming features)
18th December 2022 - 15th January 2023 (MIld and a washout)
14th August - 4th September 2021 (Dullest summer peirod I remember)
May 2021 (Complete shocker from the 5 consecutive good Mays. Terrible month)
October 2020 (Complete washout and the 3rd dulelst on record)
21st September 2019 - 21st March 2020 (Washout October followed by an even worse November, then a mild and wet winter)
15th December 2018 - 7th January 2019 (Mild and Overcast throughout, with only 2 hours of sunshine between Christmas Day 2018 and January 7th 2019)
5th March - 13th April 2018 (Very cold, wet and dull. March was especially a washout. Only 22 hours of sunshine in the first 13 days of April 2018)
20th July - 14th August 2017 (Another washout period, and temepratures stayed below average throughout. Just as bad as July 2023)
February 2017 (Very Dull)
June 2016 (Cold and gloomy start, then Warm seocnd week, and a complete washout afterwards. 5th dullest on record)
December 2015 (Way too mild to be classed as a winter month, and very wet and dull. The only mild winter months I like are Feb 2019 types)
November 2015 (Carbon Copy of the December)
July and August 2015 (July was poor after that heat and thunderstorm to begin with, and the August was a wetter and duller version of August 2023. Summer 2015 was just boring altogether)
May 2015 (The mean max was colder than the April, and very wet and dull generally)
August 2014 (Cool and wet, making it a shocker after a good summer. Only good parameter was sunshine. A bit like July 2007 in many ways)
Winter 2013/14 (Rained almost every day making it a washout. It was also too mild)
26th October 2012 - 13th April 2013 (The cold arrived too early and lasted way too long. During then, we endured a washout end to November and December, followed by a lnog snowy period in January, and then a cold and dull February, leading to one of the codlest and dullest Marches on record, with another cold first half of April. Even after the cold went, temperautres were still below average coming in with rain. I like cold spells, but one to last 6 months taking over most of Spring, is unacceptable and I dont appreciate it)
ApriL - July 2012 (Excluding the summery spell in late May and late July, this was a disgusting period for weather. Ever since that glories March, the heavens opened, and didnt stop raining. The April was terrible for all parameters, and only reached 13c on two days, followed by a similar first half of May. I cannot explain that June, and i hope this is not repeated again. July was also horrible too)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

I have been wondering which years have had the most bogeyman months in it? Not to say that year was bad if it was mixed with some very good months so not asking worse years overall. I would say for me 2012 and even 2023 for some parts (October here hasn't been terrible, a little meh but not to the order of endless rain) but I know its been very bad some parts). 2012 had three bogeyman months with April,June and July. 

2015 also pops to mind. 

• Like 1

Posted

October 2023 is not a candidate here due to the pleasant first 18 days (except the 2nd and 13th), despite the month ending up the wettest on record, and duller than average. Even in the last third, we had some nice days (22nd, 23rd, 25th and 29th). Maybe in Scotlnad or NE England, this month would be considered

Edited by baddie

Posted
On 18/07/2023 at 13:48, Sunny76 said:

Hopefully this doesn’t transpire, but I feel autumn and winter of 23 will be yucky if this El Niño takes hold.

September - Sunny and warm first half, cool and dull second half. Max temp 25c.

October - late warmth, first half 21-23c, then wet and cool second half. Max temp 23-24c.

November - dull and mild with temps mostly in the 12-15c category, with no frosts. Max temp in London will be 16-17c on one or two days.

December - very mild first half, with daytime temps around 13-15c and mostly cloudy with showers and longer spells of heavy rain.

Cooler second half with temps around 10-12c, but nothing cold enough for frosty conditions. Remaining dull and sunless until new year. Max temp will be 15-16c in the opening days.

Hope I’m wrong, but just have a feeling this is how the decline into the darker months will unfold once summer 23 is over.

We can come back to this thread by Christmas, but I see no chance of any real cold or anything close to seasonal until January 2024.

This prediction from mid July has mostly hit the nail on the head so far this autumn. Hopefully the rest doesn't transpire!

• 1 month later...
Posted
On 01/11/2023 at 00:01, Catbrainz said:

I have been wondering which years have had the most bogeyman months in it? Not to say that year was bad if it was mixed with some very good months so not asking worse years overall. I would say for me 2012 and even 2023 for some parts (October here hasn't been terrible, a little meh but not to the order of endless rain) but I know its been very bad some parts). 2012 had three bogeyman months with April,June and July. 

2015 also pops to mind. 

2014 : January, February, August
2013 : February, March, May, October, December
2012 : April. June, July, October

2008 : January, April, August, September
2007 : January, May, June, July, December
2006 : March, May, August, October
2002 : January, February, October, November, December
2000 : April, September, October, November
1996 : January, March, May
1992 : March, April, July, August, September, October, November

2002, 2007 and 2013 are winners of the 20th century, with 5 poor months

1992 takes the cake with 7(!!) poor months

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, baddie said:

2014 : January, February, August
2013 : February, March, May, October, December
2012 : April. June, July, October

2008 : January, April, August, September
2007 : January, May, June, July, December
2006 : March, May, August, October
2002 : January, February, October, November, December
2000 : April, September, October, November
1996 : January, March, May
1992 : March, April, July, August, September, October, November

2002, 2007 and 2013 are winners of the 20th century, with 5 poor months

1992 takes the cake with 7(!!) poor months

How would 1986 and 1998 compare? Looks like they were miserable years based off stats.

• 1 month later...
Posted

December 2023 was another bogeyman month in the bogeyman year of 2023 having March 2023 and July 2023 for company, three bogeyman months in one year is impressive. December earns the bogeyman title for its endless constant rain and gloomyness. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

For me probably:

April - December 2012 - extremely wet

Summer 2017 - cool and very wet

1st half of June 2019 - exceptionally cool, very dull and very wet

Autumn 2019 - very wet and cool

July 2020 - exceptionally cool

October 2020 - cold, dull and wet

May 2021 - cold, dull and wet

July 2023 - Very wet and dull

October - December 2023 - Very wet and very dull

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Winter 2013-14, vile and my hometown suffered major flooding. Summer 2007 and 2012 were also mostly hideous. Never want a repeat of any of them 

• Like 3