Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bogeyman months/seasons

Catbrainz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

Basically what months/seasons come to mind for very poor weather and makes folks quake in fear when said months are mentioned? Going by memory and what ive seen others say around forum. 

Summer 2012 (Esp Jun and July, August was pretty good that year at least for my area)
December 2015
April 2012
August 1986
Summer 2021 (For the south at least)
The 6 month period from Oct 19-March 20
Summer 2007
March 2023
May 2021

• Like 2

Posted

How about autumn 2000. A total washout

2002 in general was poor or boring

June 1997 - washout

Winter 2013/14 and as mentioned above Sep 2019 to Feb 2020

Nov 2009 - washout (following winter made up for this though)

Aug 2008 - dull

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

Basically what months/seasons come to mind for very poor weather and makes folks quake in fear when said months are mentioned? Going by memory and what ive seen others say around forum. 

Summer 2012 (Esp Jun and July, August was pretty good that year at least for my area)
December 2015
April 2012
August 1986
Summer 2007
March 2023
May 2021

March 2003?

That was a lovely month.

I agree with December 2015, such a boring mild month.

2007 and 2012 were the bleakest years ever.

August 2021 - cloud fest.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

March 2003?

That was a lovely month.

I agree with December 2015, such a boring mild month.

2007 and 2012 were the bleakest years ever.

August 2021 - cloud fest.

March 2023, not 2003.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, SqueakheartLW said:

June 1997 - washout

Aug 2008 - dull

Autumn 2000, remember that one. The flooding across the country was brutal…rivers overtopping their banks etc.

I can remember the River Weaver in Nantwich being perilously close to completely flooding Welsh Row (one of the old main roads out from the centre of Nantwich).

iirc it was a multi year Nina that year, so the autumn was really at the extreme end of things.

There was a decent cold spell right at the end of the year though.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
2 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

June 1997 - washout

Aug 2008 - dull

Yes the one that sprang to my mind which the original poster didn't mention was also November 2009 - extremely wet from what I recall, the perfect definition of a washout.

• Like 2

Posted

Hands down worst month I've ever experienced was December 2015 on the back of an exceptionally wet November. Wettest month on record. Brought horrendous flooding to Cumbria. Mildest December by far on record, incessant SW airstream. Super El Nino the culprit, I fear the next one in this ever warming world.

Winter 13-14, consistently wet stormy, not a sprinkle of snow.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Of recent times from 2017 onwards

August 2017 for its sheer relentless rain although August Bank Holiday was nice.   

October 2019 for being very cool, dull and wet.

October 2020 for similar reasons although not as cool.   

May 2021 for it being cold and wet from the get go asides the nice bank holiday weekend we had.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Hands down worst month I've ever experienced was December 2015 on the back of an exceptionally wet November. Wettest month on record. Brought horrendous flooding to Cumbria. Mildest December by far on record, incessant SW airstream. Super El Nino the culprit, I fear the next one in this ever warming world.

Winter 13-14, consistently wet stormy, not a sprinkle of snow.

13-14 for me a similar story, although I think I got a small sprinkling sometime in February, though I have it as my most snow free Winter in my memory in my otherwise relatively decent location for snowfall.. 

Many then say 15-16 was a virtually identical experience and I'd absolutely agree albeit for me January brought a slightly less onslaught with a bit of winty weather. 

But both were absolute monstrosities of a season, overall. December 2015 saw flooding around me that I've not seen the likes of before or since (November 2009 being close). 

14 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Of recent times from 2017 onwards

August 2017 for its sheer relentless rain although August Bank Holiday was nice.   

October 2019 for being very cool, dull and wet.

October 2020 for similar reasons although not as cool.   

May 2021 for it being cold and wet from the get go asides the nice bank holiday weekend we had.

I'd agree with these as well - although one thing I admit to, and I don't know if anyone else has this, but any months during the pandemic times weather wise all seem a bit of a blur to me compared to my usually excellent memory!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Augusts 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 give me grim memories of endless rain and grey skies while summer slowly slipped away.

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, Don said:

March 2023, not 2003.

Sorry I was blind lol

16 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

Augusts 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 give me grim memories of endless rain and grey skies while summer slowly slipped away.

There’s nothing worse than a dull August, as you know summer will be over soon, and warm sunny Septembers don’t make up for it.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

13-14 for me a similar story, although I think I got a small sprinkling sometime in February, though I have it as my most snow free Winter in my memory in my otherwise relatively decent location for snowfall.. 

Many then say 15-16 was a virtually identical experience and I'd absolutely agree albeit for me January brought a slightly less onslaught with a bit of winty weather. 

But both were absolute monstrosities of a season, overall. December 2015 saw flooding around me that I've not seen the likes of before or since (November 2009 being close). 

I'd agree with these as well - although one thing I admit to, and I don't know if anyone else has this, but any months during the pandemic times weather wise all seem a bit of a blur to me compared to my usually excellent memory!

Pandemic times would qualify as? March 2020 until Autumn 2021?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Months:

July 2007 - Very wet and dull throughout, with the 20th being a particularly wet day.
August 2008 - Wet, dull and cool throughout.
December 2015 - Mild and wet.
April 2012 - The worst spring month of my lifetime.
June 2012 - Horrific throughout. I remember it feeling particularly autumnal on the Queen's Diamond Jubilee with a temp of only 12 Celsius.
June 2016 - Warm and sunny for the first week, but the heavens opened for the rest of the month.
July 2012 - Warm and sunny later on, but a horrific summer month overall.
November 2021 - Unseasonably mild and boring.

Seasons as a whole:

Autumn 2000 - Very wet throughout.
Summer 2007 - The first in a series of poor summers.
Summer 2008 - June wasn't too bad I guess, but July and August were very poor.
Summer 2012 - August was the best of the summer months during that notoriously horrific summer.
Winter 2016/17 - Anticyclonic gloomfest.
Winter 2019/20 - Constantly wet and mild.
Spring 2023 - Didn't really get going until May.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

There’s nothing worse than a dull August, as you know summer will be over soon, and warm sunny Septembers don’t make up for it.

Definitely! And a double whammy if it's as wet as all of those were. 2012 and 2020 were just as wet but saved by being a bit warmer.

2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

November 2021 - Unseasonably mild and boring.

Funny you should say this as Nov 2021 was one of my favourites! Dry throughout with cold sunny days at the end, and storm Arwen brought some interest. 2020 on the other hand was one of the most boring months I can remember

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

December 2022 must be up there with the worst: cold, no snow, nearly freezing fog, sleet and drizzle. Lovely! 🥶

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
13 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

Definitely! And a double whammy if it's as wet as all of those were. 2012 and 2020 were just as wet but saved by being a bit warmer.

Funny you should say this as Nov 2021 was one of my favourites! Dry throughout with cold sunny days at the end, and storm Arwen brought some interest. 2020 on the other hand was one of the most boring months I can remember

Yes, I remember November 2021 fondly. Lots of crisp and sunny days! Nice to have a month like that to break up the usual stretch of grey you get in Autumn & Winter. Would have loved to have experienced November 2006- looked like a cracker. I was alive but weren't interested in weather & sunshine until about late 2016 lol.

• Like 3

Posted

From what I can recall, having only begun getting interested in sun, weather etc from late 2016, I'd put these as bogey months-

March 2018 & 2023- Pretty much no useable sunny days whatsoever barring a couple. Definition of grey and dank! I like snow but by March I'm looking for those settled sunny days.

October 2019 & 2020- Almost a carbon copy of one another! Equally dull, wet and zero stability! Complete washouts.

November 2019 & 2022- As above!

January 2020- As above! But colder.

May & August 2021- Extremely dull & grey months. Really not what you want for months with such good light levels. Absolute waste.

September 2022- Washout in these parts. I'm used to nice & pleasant settled September's so this was a shocker! Only a handful of decently sunny days.

I'm sure there were others, but I'd be relying on stats rather than my memory.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Yes, I remember November 2021 fondly. Lots of crisp and sunny days! Nice to have a month like that to break up the usual stretch of grey you get in Autumn & Winter. Would have loved to have experienced November 2006- looked like a cracker. I was alive but weren't interested in weather & sunshine until about late 2016 lol.

November 2006’s sunniest weather was right at the beginning. Also featured a rare frosty bonfire night period. A lot of the month was very cyclonic and wet though.

Much prefer 2005 personally.

Posted
33 minutes ago, MP-R said:

November 2006’s sunniest weather was right at the beginning. Also featured a rare frosty bonfire night period. A lot of the month was very cyclonic and wet though.

Much prefer 2005 personally.

Yeah, was an excellent first 10 days though! Would love to get a November equivalent of a Feb 2019.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

April 1986 ..there i have said it :snowman-emoji:

Posted
6 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

April 1986 ..there i have said it :snowman-emoji:

1986 in general. It was such a horrible year.

Anyone who wants us to return to those types of summers need their heads looking at lol.

• Like 2

Posted
21 hours ago, SunSean said:

September 2022- Washout in these parts. I'm used to nice & pleasant settled September's so this was a shocker! Only a handful of decently sunny days.

Definitely one of my least favourites. But after a humid and miserable first two weeks we had a really nice period of about a week midmonth with some settled weather turning warm - around the 20th we had some days of clear blue skies and 22c which was lovely. Attempted to become more autumnal in the last few days but bounced back to give us a lovely sunny first half of October. Not a great month but miles better than 2017, or even 2012/2013.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, plymsunshine said:

Definitely one of my least favourites. But after a humid and miserable first two weeks we had a really nice period of about a week midmonth with some settled weather turning warm - around the 20th we had some days of clear blue skies and 22c which was lovely. Attempted to become more autumnal in the last few days but bounced back to give us a lovely sunny first half of October. Not a great month but miles better than 2017, or even 2012/2013.

I missed out on most of the sun in that period, think we got about 2 days of sun out of it haha. Got a good feeling about September 2023 though for some reason.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 11/07/2023 at 15:08, Catbrainz said:

December 2015
April 2012
August 1986
Summer 2007
March 2023
May 2021

July 2023. 😉

June 1980, 1985, 1987, 1997, 1998, 2007, 2012 and 2016

July 1980, 1988, 1993, 2007, 2009 and 2012

August 1985, 1986, 1992, 2008 (surprisingly, even though August is probably the worst summer month, there seem to be less truly appalling Augusts than Junes or Julys)

Winter 19/20 definitely.

Winter 13/14 also. December 2015.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
12 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

1986 in general. It was such a horrible year.

Anyone who wants us to return to those types of summers need their heads looking at lol.

July 1986 was considerably better than July 2023 seems to be proving in the UK (with the caveat that I only directly experienced the first 6 days).  In 1986 the first three weeks seemed to be decent. And June 1986 was of course famously warm and sunny. Though my memories of parts of it are becoming a little hazy, I'd rate 1986 as a "summer of two halves", perhaps not unlike 2017.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1