Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
13 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Just on my thoughts about this September heatwave. Most notable aspect of it for me is the solidified nature of it - aka, days in a row being 30c or very close to it. That is very rare for us in any summer month, let alone in September.

The 'plumes' we tend to have nowadays that make the likes of the Daily Mail and The Express lose their minds, tend to be pretty short-lived affairs, with a couple of 30c+ days at the peak, and then maybe 2/3 days of high 20s either side of it. Often followed by a Thunderstorm too! 

Quite unprecedented to have - what will be by Sunday - 7-8 days in total of 30c temps or close to it, in September. It almost feels as if the 2 / 2 shorter plumes / warmth spikes we usually have during high summer, were held at bay, and now all condensed and landed in one big bang!

The number of consecutive 30c+ day spells, and the length of them, has actually increased in recent years. 

- 5 days in June 2017

- two separate spells in July 2018 with 5 consecutive days, plus several other days. 

- a few days in August 2018

- 3 days in July 2019

- 4 days in August 2019

- 3 days in June 2020

- 6 days in August 2020

- 4 days in July 2021

- 3 days in July 2022

- 5 days in August 2022

All stats above for London. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

We had a tropical night on the 4th! Our first since July 2016 as well so pretty good going for September.

30c for October 2023!!! I am feeling it, this is the year.

We had 2 tropical nights last year in July 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
3 minutes ago, danm said:

The number of consecutive 30c+ day spells, and the length of them, has actually increased in recent years. 

- 5 days in June 2017

- two separate spells in July 2018 with 5 consecutive days, plus several other days. 

- a few days in August 2018

- 3 days in July 2019

- 4 days in August 2019

- 3 days in June 2020

- 6 days in August 2020

- 4 days in July 2021

- 3 days in July 2022

- 5 days in August 2022

All stats above for London. 

How many are we at for September 2023? Will it be 6 by tomorrow? Pretty impressive for an *autumn* month to equal the longest spell of 30c+ in London in years.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

How many are we at for September 2023? Will it be 6 by tomorrow? Pretty impressive for an *autumn* month to equal the longest spell of 30c+ in London in years.

5 days so far, including today. Add in the weekend and that will be 7 days. Very impressive for Summer, let alone September.

Edit: I will add though, that 6 day spell in Aug 2020 was all above 33c, 4 of those days above 35c.  Stifling. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Think our spree IMBY of getting over 50% sunshine has ended today unfortunately. The South & South East look to be the only cloudy areas now for the remainder of the day. You can all blame me for that as I'm off work lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, SunSean said:

Think our spree IMBY of getting over 50% sunshine has ended today unfortunately. The South & South East look to be the only cloudy areas now for the remainder of the day. You can all blame me for that as I'm off work lol.

Lots of sun here, it's just hazy rather than deep blue skies. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
1 minute ago, danm said:

5 days so far, including today. Add in the weekend and that will be 7 days. Very impressive for Summer, let alone September.

Edit: I will add though, that 6 day spell in Aug 2020 was all above 33c, 4 of those days above 35c.  Stifling. 

We only had 2 days of 30c+ in that spell, pales in comparison to Aug 2022 which had 4 days in a row of over 32c. Completely unprecedented.

But for here to be recording 30c in September, that's a first!

Posted
Just now, plymsunshine said:

We only had 2 days of 30c+ in that spell, pales in comparison to Aug 2022 which had 4 days in a row of over 32c. Completely unprecedented.

But for here to be recording 30c in September, that's a first!

Yep, getting to 30c here in September isn't unprecedented at all, but to get so many days is pretty unheard of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I still cant believe the current spell in Western Ireland with tropical nights going on.. Valentia in west Kerry had a temperature of 25oc at 4am on Tues morning and 24 degrees till 6am and a slight shift on wind I'm sure scuppered our national record minimum temperature and this is September.. Today its so July and wonderful weather..Wish it would go on.. Possible national record high temperature for Ireland today..We wait.. loving ❤️ it..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
37 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Warm

just been chilling in the garden when I was visited by a rather large hornet. I ran of course and it chased me and flew into my leg. 

Probably not going outside again now tbf 

Did you notice if it had a red face?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Did you notice if it had a red face?

I think it was a pretty standard European hornet - didn’t hang around long enough to get a look at it but no mistaking that orange and brown colouring - and the size of the thing of course!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

By the looks of it 30c is pretty widespread across the south today. 29c here too despite it taking a while for temperatures to rise due to some early mist and a lot of high cloud.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I think I'd call August underwhelming rather than outright terrible. My area *is* one of those in the blue area on the Aug mean max chart, and the lack of much actual warmth was tedious at times. On the other hand it was (certainly later on) a clear improvement from July, which at least in these parts had far, far too few properly usable, properly dry days. Depending on what happens later this month, I suspect I'll be happier with both June and September than either of the "height of summer" months this year.

Autumn proper will hit us sooner or later as it always does, of course. Wouldn't say no to a 30 °C at the start of October before the storms come in, though. The current 29.9 °C record is slightly irritating!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, danm said:

30c, humid, sultry, hazy Friday afternoon in the big smoke…

IMG_6366.thumb.jpeg.0cdd8eb039647cdeb3b58c079c5c9f25.jpeg

Love the Bloomberg building !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Warm

just been chilling in the garden when I was visited by a rather large hornet. I ran of course and it chased me and flew into my leg. 

Oh bless you 🙁 I've been having to get wasps out of my bathroom the past few mornings upon waking up, makes for a fun game at 6am when your just about to get in the shower.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Just on my thoughts about this September heatwave. Most notable aspect of it for me is the solidified nature of it - aka, days in a row being 30c or very close to it. That is very rare for us in any summer month, let alone in September.

The 'plumes' we tend to have nowadays that make the likes of the Daily Mail and The Express lose their minds, tend to be pretty short-lived affairs, with a couple of 30c+ days at the peak, and then maybe 2/3 days of high 20s either side of it. Often followed by a Thunderstorm too! 

Quite unprecedented to have - what will be by Sunday - 7-8 days in total of 30c temps or close to it, in September. It almost feels as if the 2 / 2 shorter plumes / warmth spikes we usually have during high summer, were held at bay, and now all condensed and landed in one big bang!

We thankfully normally only get effected by these heat domes as they break, hence a quick heat up, and then a cold front. This one landed bang on top of us.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
1 hour ago, plymsunshine said:

We had a tropical night on the 4th! Our first since July 2016 as well so pretty good going for September.

30c for October 2023!!! I am feeling it, this is the year.

It wouldn't surprise me, the same synoptics that gave us this current spell are lining up to occur again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Warm

It'll be long gone now.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Warm

It fancied you!

1 hour ago, danm said:

Lots of sun here, it's just hazy rather than deep blue skies. 

White sky of nothing here. Sun been gone over an hour.

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

By the looks of it 30c is pretty widespread across the south today. 29c here too despite it taking a while for temperatures to rise due to some early mist and a lot of high cloud.

31.3 today so a degree down on yesterday. So less sweaty!

18 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Where is the autumn chill, where are the leaves changing colour, where are the squirrels hiding their nuts😪

We're only one week in dear ...

Posted
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

It'll be long gone now.

Nope, he’s out there lurking. I’ve seen him from the window.

Its weird because every September for the past 3 years I’ve seen a hornet in our garden. 

A few years ago we put some timber down and were one day set upon by the horror known as the wood wasp. I had never seen one before but they are seriously massive - and I mistook the ovipositor for a stinger (it’s like the size of a sword) - my missus Dad (who’s unfazed by absolutely anything) was pushing a wheelbarrow of concrete when one flew into him and he threw the wheelbarrow and legged it out the garden. He had never seen one either.

I took this picture (from behind bulletproof glass)

Could contain:

9 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

It fancied you!

White sky of nothing here. Sun been gone over an hour.

Could contain:

Hornets are terrifying but they seem way more chill than wasps that get all up in your face. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

And me as it's the one day this week I worked from home, so obviously, the day that's been the cloudy one 

26 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Where is the autumn chill, where are the leaves changing colour, where are the squirrels hiding their nuts😪

Only first week of Sept which tbf usually brings pretty warm weather...I consider it late summer still. The first half of the month is statistically as warm as June, for max temps, in my area anyway. 

Proper Autumn doesn't arrive until the end of the month imo! 

As for the leaves...well, some of the trees in my area started shedding their leaves in early August because high summer was so autumnal!  😆

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

28.3C, dew point 20.2C. Feels tropical out there. Definitely has the feeling of a very warm night to come.