Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
7 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

16c, sun and clouds, showers expected this afters.

A very typical September day, for these parts.

16C is a bit chilly for September though? More typical for early October.

I'd say the stereotypical southern England September day is about 20C, with benign weather, some sun, some cloud.

If the outlook was that I'd be happy. No need for heatwaves, just some settled weather!

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

16C is a bit chilly for September though? More typical for early October.

I'd say the stereotypical southern England September day is about 20C, with benign weather, some sun, some cloud.

If the outlook was that I'd be happy. No need for heatwaves, just some settled weather!

Nope.

11.15am - 16c is about average for 2nd half of Sept, here.

In fact, for here, the average daily temp for Sept goes from 19/20c 1st half, to 16c later in Sept.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Just now, Bristle Si said:

Nope.

11.15am - 16c is about average for 2nd half of Sept, here.

In fact, for here, the average daily temp for Sept goes from 19/20c 1st half, to 16c later in Sept.

Glad I don't live in Bristol! 😉

I sometimes think we have it bad in southern Hampshire with the damp and gloom that onshore SW-ly winds produce, but one of the better features of the region's climate is hanging on to some semblance of warmth a but later. (Early spring-like spells in late Feb and March are another).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
23 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Could be worse I guess but after summer we're overdue a long, multi-week settled spell.

It'll come in November when no one really cares anyway and it'll just be cold anyway. It's always a bit sad when amazing summer synoptics occur in winter (eg Feb 2023)

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sun Chaser said:

It'll come in November when no one really cares anyway and it'll just be cold anyway. It's always a bit sad when amazing summer synoptics occur in winter (eg Feb 2023)

Almost: it'll come in November when it'll produce weeks of temps around 12-14C and total Sc cover. 😉

(Many seem to be going for a mild wet November but knowing our luck, what'll happen is that November will provide the only break from mild and wet in the next few months - in the form of mild, dry and dull!)

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I am sorry to hear that. 😔

Some people really have it in for cyclists. Quite sad really.

If we can't have cold and snow or cold and sunny then I will take mild and stormy. 

Mild on its own during the winter is just plain boring, as is cold and overcast.

One strong advantage of mild on its own, though, is at least it's usable (as is cold and overcast).

I'm no fan of 10-12C and 100% Sc cover for weeks on end in the winter, but at least you can get out and about in it. Difficult to do so in a month like Jan 2014 or Feb 2020.

I've heard central Europe can get a lot of the cold variant of that type of weather in the winter (i.e. complete overcast but usable) - I would much prefer that climate, not least because it would be broken up by snow and frost/sun quite regularly too!

One of the things I really dislike about the NW European autumn/winter is you work Mon-Fri, it's dark when you finish (i.e. no opportunity to get out during the week for leisure purposes), and there's a good chance of Sat and Sun both being a washout or drizzlefest. Other climates have much more usable winters.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
46 minutes ago, Sun Chaser said:

Nothing better than a settled spell during Nov-Feb IMO!

I love the dry winter sunshine with crisp, cold days with lingering overnight frost. Hmm.. we're overdue a long, cold wintery spell of weather. ❄️

• Like 5

Posted
28 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Nothing better than a settled spell during Nov-Feb IMO!

I love the dry winter sunshine with crisp, cold days with lingering overnight frost. Hmm.. we're overdue a long, cold wintery spell of weather. ❄️

My thoughts exactly, the cold December spell last year didn't have much snow.. but the sunny frosty days made up for it. Beautiful spell of weather. 

I'd like to see more in the way of snow this winter, then a giant anticyclone over us. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Had some torrential rain here in west London yesterday evening which was quite exciting. Now back to lots of boring grey muck and bits of drizzle, and feeling cool at 17°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Feels more like October here, the heat from the first week of September is a distant memory.  😲

Yes indeed, but then September is often a tug between pangs of August (like the heatwave), and pangs of October (like the weather we have now).

2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

I'd say the second half of the year is unusual for so much Atlantic domination though so far - and that's before we get into October to December, which are Atlantic-dominated in a normal year.

I agree, although less abnormal now than in high summer. Plus, it's not like we haven't had a lot of Atlantic dominated weather through more typically quiet months in the past.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
2 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I know, I'm a little gutted, was hoping for another warmish very sunny week, it almost doesn't feel fair, USA get lovely sunny long summers then when the hurricanes start forming it usually scuppers north west Europe's chances of sustained sun and warmth in early autumn.

It looks like it could be the third month in a row for parts of the UK seeing below average sunshine levels.  Hopefully though we will see sun and it'll move many up to something more average.  Oh well there is always october and then hopefully next year we will fair better.

Feels pretty chilly today, the first day that it's genuinely felt like Autumn, sunshine mixed with rain today....In Exeter it wouldn't surprise me if we receive up to 200% of our monthly average of rain by the months end

Yeah, massive shame on the sunshine front. After the 1st half of the month, we looked set to breach 200 hours but now with the 2nd half being a crock of sheet, we'd be lucky to even touch 150. What a pathetic 2nd half this is turning into! Reminds me of June 2021, a tale of 2 polar opposite halves.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
8 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Yeah, massive shame on the sunshine front. After the 1st half of the month, we looked set to breach 200 hours but now with the 2nd half being a crock of sheet, we'd be lucky to even touch 150. What a pathetic 2nd half this is turning into! Reminds me of June 2021, a tale of 2 polar opposite halves.

True, some places in the south will have had 3 months of below average sun, Exeter most likely will be one of them, the weather can be cruel, we've had a couple torrential downpours again in Exeter so far today, feels chilly too.

Posted
42 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Had some torrential rain here in west London yesterday evening which was quite exciting. Now back to lots of boring grey muck and bits of drizzle, and feeling cool at 17°C. 

We've had lots of torrential rain here, we are well over 100mm now after todays rain and our September average is 60.3 so think we will easily be around 200% rainfall by the months end.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Nothing like the suns rays at this time of year. Not too hot just pleasurable, and comfortable. Just had a shower here and now the sparkling sunshine is glimmering on the Autumn 🍂 vegetation with the beautiful colours starting to appear.🍂😊😊

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Its Mornings like this that prove my point about Autumn, glorious sky, light levels mellow and gentle, temps perfectly fresh, you can't beat it.

Sun and fog when I got up to let the chooks out at 7am. It was quite pretty.

5 hours ago, SunSean said:

Oh well, from having a forecast of some lovely sunny days coming up, we've downgraded to just a few specs of sun and mostly cloud and rain for the foreseeable. I hate model watching, so much false hope! Get 3 days in a row of brilliant models with sunny weather and then bang, Atlantic trough. This is turning out to be the most autumnal year I've ever experienced. Just another reason why autumn is my least favourite season.

But it's not a season this year. Just a constant state lol

Posted
42 minutes ago, cheese said:

17C, sunny spells and lighter winds. Probably pretty typical for the equinox to be honest.

As autumn goes it's a nice day. 18c sun and cloud. Good enough! A nice bit of morning fog for prettiness.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
33 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

We've had lots of torrential rain here, we are well over 100mm now after todays rain and our September average is 60.3 so think we will easily be around 200% rainfall by the months end.

That’s quite a massive total. Hopefully no flooding issues where you are? There were some in the London area. I like dramatic fronts like last night’s, proper autumnal weather. The clag is clearing now allowing sunshine and thundery showers 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Perhaps like September 1981 and 1999 too, for those who remember them?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)

Another warm day here.  It was 20C at around 10:45 AM already (even in summer many mornings are colder). I was cycling wearing just shorts and a thin long sleeve top and the wind didn't feel cold whatsoever. Now in the afternoon it's 22C and feels warm even when the sun is behind clouds. If you ignore the light levels it genuinely feels like a typical mid-June day. While I am enjoying this weather a lot, I'm starting to feel a little conflicted lol. On one hand it feels like a bit of a slap in the face that we had such poor synoptics in July and now have an amazing setup, which would have brought great heatwaves in high summer. And I also worry that we will get payback in the form of a super cold spell in October-November, which is going to make winter feel way too long.

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

That’s quite a massive total. Hopefully no flooding issues where you are? There were some in the London area. I like dramatic fronts like last night’s, proper autumnal weather. The clag is clearing now allowing sunshine and thundery showers 👍🏻

We've had flooding around the smaller villages around Exeter, Exeter Airport was closed due to the deluge at the weekend and lots of large puddles...I am surprised the river in Exeter isn't higher though so maybe they opened the flood relief channel?

To be honest it could be higher for certain parts down here, the weather measurements are taken at Exeter Airport which is 5 miles away to the east on the outskirts, most of the heaviest torrential rain today has been through the centre of Exeter and most missed the airport

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
32 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Nothing like the suns rays at this time of year. Not too hot just pleasurable, and comfortable. Just had a shower here and now the sparkling sunshine is glimmering on the Autumn 🍂 vegetation with the beautiful colours starting to appear.🍂😊😊

As like this most months since April, everything seems very location dependent. In my area, it's as dark and dull as a pigeons backside with drizzly, constant rain. Bergen vibes 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 hours ago, Wynn D Woo said:

Nobody in real life I have met has moaned that its been too hot to sleep or work

You don't get out much then🤣

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I think a lot of people's feelings about the next few weeks will be affected simply by the time of week. For example, the models look fairly keen on a midweek Irish Sea storm. Not very pleasant to be out in of course, but if the following weekend is at least okay I suspect most people will be less bothered (and will remember the period less negatively) than if roles were reversed with midweek decent and the weekend a washout.

Still a fair bit of warmth in the sun at the moment. It's only 14.2 °C as I write, but with the sun out I was quite comfortable going for a walk in shirtsleeves just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
36 minutes ago, markyo said:

You don't get out much then🤣

🤷‍♂️

Whatever...

• Like 1