Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
4 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Literally plants that are dying, dew, and mushrooms.

Your funny alexisj9! Perhaps unintentionally!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
7 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I agree mate in terms of warmth....this September has felt more summer than July. Which is weird. And unseasonal (spoken as someone who loves true seasons).

But I've enjoyed the sunshine hours. My personal wish would be autumn with a more frosty element for the mornings but clear sunny days. 

I'm in Edinburgh ATM and it does feel more Autumnal. The lighting Is fantastic. 

Could contain:

The light in Edinburgh is so amazing every time I have been it’s almost magical !! I don’t really I understand why it just is !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Funny old year sunshine wise with my 2 nearest stations. Heathrow had an exceptionally sunny June while for Shoebury, it was just normal and the same is happening for September- A highly sunny one for Heathrow but just run of the mill for Shoebury. Normally when Heathrow has a sunny month, Shoebury will have exceptionally high figures but this year they have pretty much matched the London station despite normally having way more sun. This is actually on course for being duller than 2021 for Shoebury! Perhaps their sunshine recorder is getting old lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

Early fine start now rapidly turning much cloudier.

At least we'll be spared the dull weather and prolonged, continuous rain of (IIRC) the last four September 30s though.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Lovely start to the day, lots of sunshine, a little milky and hazy. Feels warm out there. 17c currently.

Heres one for @Bristle Si

IMG_6497.thumb.jpeg.eb033908ec7241f37085068257edeab1.jpeg

Edited by danm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, danm said:

Lover start to the day, lots of sunshine, a little milky and hazy. Feels warm out there. 17c currently.

Heres one for @Bristle Si

IMG_6497.thumb.jpeg.eb033908ec7241f37085068257edeab1.jpeg

🤣👍

15c, cloudy, grey, dull, a few spots of rain here.

4 week countdown to next trip to Fuerteventura👍😎

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

🤣👍

15c, cloudy, grey, dull, a few spots of rain here.

4 week countdown to next trip to Fuerteventura👍😎

Lovely, I’d much rather be in your shoes then! 😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

A further deterioration here in south Hampshire from 10am, now increasingly low-based, darker and heavier cloud, so about midway between the conditions in London and Bristol, I guess.

Doesn't even feel that warm. A definite fail of a warm spell here (just one fine day, yesterday) and the next two days also look rather a claggy mess, but hoping the next potential warm spell, leading up to next weekend, will be more of a success. Looks like it's introduced behind a cold front with high pressure building in which then becomes a southerly, so hopefully less opportunity for the atmosphere to clag up.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
43 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

A further deterioration here in south Hampshire from 10am, now increasingly low-based, darker and heavier cloud, so about midway between the conditions in London and Bristol, I guess.

Doesn't even feel that warm. A definite fail of a warm spell here (just one fine day, yesterday) and the next two days also look rather a claggy mess, but hoping the next potential warm spell, leading up to next weekend, will be more of a success. Looks like it's introduced behind a cold front with high pressure building in which then becomes a southerly, so hopefully less opportunity for the atmosphere to clag up.

That's very much how the October 2008 warm spell set up, and was very sunny as a result. A preferable evolution I feel.

archives-2008-10-8-12-0.png > archives-2008-10-10-12-0.png > archives-2008-10-12-12-0.png

A beautiful spell of warmth and sunshine that was. And we all know how that October ended...

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

That's very much how the October 2008 warm spell set up, and was very sunny as a result. A preferable evolution I feel.

archives-2008-10-8-12-0.png > archives-2008-10-10-12-0.png > archives-2008-10-12-12-0.png

A beautiful spell of warmth and sunshine that was. And we all know how that October ended...

Indeed, I remember that one well.

In fact most of the better October warm spells are setup that way, if I remember right. The first half of 2005 featured a notable spell and fairly sure the evolution on that occasion was also cold front - NWly - high pressure build in - high pressure shifts east - southerly.

You want to guard against the "warm front, warm sector followed by rise of pressure" scenario, seen for instance in early October 2021. Such spells tend to fail on the sunshine front as the damp warm sector doesn't fully dry out, and due to cloud amounts, are also not as warm as all that by day.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Indeed, I remember that one well.

In fact most of the better October fine spells are setup that way, if I remember right. The first half of 2005 featured a notable spell and fairly sure the evolution on that occasion was also cold front - NWly - high pressure build in - high pressure shifts east - southerly.

You want to guard against the "warm front, warm sector followed by rise of pressure" scenario, seen for instance in early October 2021. Such spells tend to fail on the sunshine front as the damp warm sector doesn't fully dry out, and due to cloud amounts, are also not as warm as all that by day.

It's a nicer way for warm spells to develop at any time of year I think.

Although, I think I must've struck lucky in October 2021, as after the spell developed on the 06th, only the 08th was cloudy here. In fact the weekend of the 09th/10th was virtually unbroken sunshine with temps peaking in the 20/21 range. 

It's become quite a common repeating date for fine spells to fall on over the last 10-15 years.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

Yes it was blue sky at 7am when I got to the chooks up. Standard affair here today for 2023. Start sunny and clagfest by lunch. We all know the drill now boys and girls!! 17c. Brrrr!

6 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

For those looking for a colder outlook, the wait currently goes on. Still hoping for a misty spooky Halloween and and frosty fireworks night. Fingers crossed we get a chilly festive season. 🤞

Post mid October I'm up for it!

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

For those looking for a colder outlook, the wait currently goes on. Still hoping for a misty spooky Halloween and and frosty fireworks night. Fingers crossed we get a chilly festive season. 🤞

Some sign in the model thread of a northerly for around 10 days time so could happen.

Hoping for basically anything but Atlantic clag! Warm and sunny, cold and frosty, both fine.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Lovely out there, sunny spells and pushing 20c…

IMG_6498.thumb.jpeg.520d48137b8b0e9af5f50440da4b7ce1.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
43 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Some sign in the model thread of a northerly for around 10 days time so could happen.

Hoping for basically anything but Atlantic clag! Warm and sunny, cold and frosty, both fine.

There also a southerly in some models at the same time. Literally no idea thanks to more tropical activity. Could go either way, for what it worth, I agree with Matt h but who knows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Summer still here, blue skies and 19c it takes forever to cool down in autumn down here, can't wait to be able to put a jumper on and not sweat!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
46 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Summer still here, blue skies and 19c it takes forever to cool down in autumn down here, can't wait to be able to put a jumper on and not sweat!

I'm just not bothering with the jumper 

45 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Looks like the "beast from the east" tabloid headlines have started so that's how you know it has a zero percent chance of happening.

Huh, exactly when are they expecting that at the moment?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
48 minutes ago, Freeze said:

That's not an issue here. 12c and rain at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Spot the high pressure.

anim_vis.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1